Challenge #742 Voting CLOSED

Ah, I hadn’t thought about that. I feel like too much newb to be submitting there yet, maybe after a few more projects. Nah I’m not really worried about winning or losing, I am honestly surprised I got votes, I’m contempt with what I got. I just thought it was funny since I lost by a single vote last time… Ah the story of my life :slight_smile: Anyways, I’m hyped for the next contest… I hope it’s a good theme.

@fulip: That’s an interesting node setup. I’m particularly curious about the logic of connecting the colour output of the wave texture into the vector input of a Voronoi. I tried to mess around a bit, but I couldn’t understand how RGB is converted to an UV coordinate by Blender. In this specific case where you use black and white, the Voronoi texture seems to simulate a colour ramp with many alternations between black and white.

Did you find this out by trial and error, or is there some intuition behind connecting the output of a texture into the vector input of another?

@Fulip that metal N5 plate on the skull, is that a reference to Mass Effect? I’m thinking yes, but I don’t know…

A lot can happen in two hours… :slight_smile:

@Hiryuusan

No expense was spared

A good Jurassic Park quote works every time. I just bought the book last week. I don’t know how often I have seen that movie, but (until now) I never read the book. It is a lot of fun reading through all the differences!

Thanks a lot! And thanks for writing all the reviews. This really invigorates (does that word make sense in this context?) the voting threads. Thumbs up!

Very nice. The update was well worth the effort. And I think is still has some animation/cartoonish quality to it. I almost can hear it say “Muuuurrrrray!” (Monkey Island - if anyone (apart from Millani) remembers that). :wink:

You can have a lot of fun with that. The technique has been around for some time now and it is very simple/fast to generate some nice effects with it.

There even is a Quick Tip on this on Youtube: Blur and Distortion in Cycles Materials, which is based on Bartek Skorupa’s BCon14-talk Manipulate texture coordinates like a boss.

Hi Everyone!
Unfortunately I am little late trying to create a skull steampunk

Pure Cycles filmic 500 samples(only procedural textures,in addition to hdri lighting)

There even is a Quick Tip on this on Youtube: Blur and Distortion in Cycles Materials, which is based on Bartek Skorupa’s BCon14-talk Manipulate texture coordinates like a boss.

Wow, I never knew. Thank you!

My pleasure. I must say I also learn by spending some time analysing each entry. I it interesting to see that some pictures which at first glance look kind of “meh” are actually pretty good but get kind of ruined by bad composition (e.g., lighting, saturation…).

I just wish more people would write comments (not that I’m judging anyone, of course). The voting system gives us a very poor idea of how good each entry is, and sometimes all we need in order to improve is one person telling us “you’re doing X well, but Y and Z are wrong.”.

Indeed. There was I, saying to myself I would just check how the weekend challenge is going and then it is enough computer for the day, and what do I find? Two hours later and I’m still playing around with blender :wink:

And… the winner of Weekend Challenge 742 with 24.44% of the votes is… Fulip!
Here’s to all the great participators…

Anouar Art : 0 : 0%
FlyingBanana : 1 : 2.22%
LeoBlenderToon : 0 : 0%
astiero : 7 : 15.56%
joshwinkler3d : 0 : 0%
Photox : 2 : 4.44%
purbosky : 0 : 0%
Hiryuusan : 1 : 2.22%
Fulip : 11 : 24.44%
Simeneta : 3 : 6.67%
fcharr : 0 : 0%
Kampus : 0 : 0%
appie.123 : 0 : 0%
HISEROD : 3 : 6.67%
Millani : 0 : 0%
robproctor83 : 10 : 22.22%
caz747 : 1 : 2.22%
fdo : 0 : 0%
DM9 : 1 : 2.22%
kshaw : 0 : 0%
Miatpi : 2 : 4.44%
NATIVO : 3 : 6.67%

https://blenderartists.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=497835&stc=1&thumb=1
Archeology secrets

Dangit a single vote lol. Well fullip u better pick a good theme :slight_smile:

If it was me, I would make the next theme: close but no cigar my friend! :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh str11 really cool piece. I love the steampunk concept. You also have a good render and lightning, very impressed. My only critique other than being late is the gears. they are way too large to go with the skull and you should probably have a few varying sizes, maybe also a couple nuts and bolts.

@Millani Thanks for your feedback, glad my entry was amusing - relying on just votes can make it hard to determine people’s response to an entry. There were again plenty of good entries, it can be time consuming/hard to make comments on them all, all the time.
Maybe include a simple single word pro/cons? Pro: Rendering, Modelling | Cons: Lighting, Composition?

Well done @Fulip

Totally agree with you about the surrounding scene (this could be done more interesting), but due to lack of time it was necessary to minimize it

It’s a pity that you did not win(.In case of a victory you, certainly, would assign an interesting topic.

Thank you all.

@Millani as Helge said, i found this idea on youtube, and i play with it a little bit.

@robproctor83 Yes, a little bit to Mass Effect, and Nexus from Blade Runner.

@joshwinkler3d Thanks!

Really nice work guys!

Architecture Interior Scene with Cycles in Blender 2.78c.

Luminary and concrete wall.

Acoimbraf, cool pic but why did you post it on here?

Incredible!!