Challenge #745 Voting CLOSED

About 11 hours. There should be a time (based on your BA account setting) displayed right above the voting.

@Miatpi:
It depends. I planned to reply to the old entry thread, so I had this one prepared. But usually I just make them up right when I need them (and have a few minutes to do that).

[QUOTE=Helge;3244499]About 11 hours. There should be a time (based on your BA account setting) displayed right above the voting.

Ah, that’s why i couldn’t see my timezone, i got logged out after couple minutes :smiley:
Now it will be easier

I pretty sure Rob should have 3 more votes. My guess is the votes I got were probably mis-clicks meant for Rob’s entry I really did not anticipate my joke entry generating anything.

Still not enough presently to pass HISTOR though.

I have to say the WEC quality has sky rocketed.

Lol Ryeath, you could be right but I also wouldn’t put it past people to be voting on it. It’s not always the about looks, some people might honestly just like kittens and think it’s cute, but I appreciate the modesty. I’ve grown accustom to second place, my safe space, it keeps me out of the limelight, while still asserting my 3D prowess :slight_smile:

Helge, here is a question for you, is there a way that I can see all the previous contest winners easily? Or do I have to go into each post individually? Also, is there some way I can see all the previous themes easily? So that I can try to think of themes no one has done before?

There is no list of all winners or winning entries. However, I have compiled a list of all previous themes with links to the corresponding voting threads. You can find it in my signature. :slight_smile:

Oh cool, I feel embarrassed that I didn’t even click your signature… Anyways, Helge are you a programmer? I get a programmy vibe from you :slight_smile: Am I right? I’m a programmer as well, been working in web site development for a long time. What code did you write the script in? Considering this site is using vBulletin which is in PHP I would assume you also used PHP, but seeing as it’s just a MySQL database (if I remember correctly) then you could be using anything. I use PHP myself, but lately it’s been a lot of Javascript.

Awe, it looks like a bunch of the older contests have lost their images :frowning: I was curious to see how much the art has progressed from when this first started. Oh well, shouldn’t be focusing on the past anyways!

Nice! Software engineer as well.
C#, Client Side mostly, Web API, WPF oh and Unity :slight_smile:

Oh very cool, C# is something I really want to learn so that I can make games or interactive media with Unity. Actually making a VR game in Unity is what landed me into using Blender, but I put aside the goal of making a game for now as I learn how to work with 3D graphics, which might be a long while. I made a few simple games/tutorials with Unity, but I found C# very confusing. Hopefully I’ll be able to figure it out lol.

Nice to hear that! Your vibe detector didn’t let you down. Nowadays, most of the stuff I do for work is PHP or JS. However, the theme list was mostly generated with Java and cleaned by hand… Currently, it is just a csv-ish text file which is processed via JavaScript. I wanted to switch to SQL for that but there is always something else on the list :slight_smile: (Well, it works good enough for what I had in mind.)
Before, I have been doing more stuff using Java and C++, but the opportunity hasn’t presented itself that often lately. And every now and then I grow some interest in Python - it would be nice to know more about that side of Blender. (I have been writing some scripts for Monzoom - a long forgotten 3d application - in the late 90s/early 00s. It would be fun to get back into that - this time using Blender… ah, the good old days…)

While we are at it: I’m not associated with blenderartists.org development or part of the team in any way. Just managing the BWC at the moment.

You are right, that is why I added the archive.org URLs. But most of it has probably been lost. I guess the times of geocities are over for good. :wink:

Some comments to the entries.

RayVelcoro: Very creepy. It took me a little while to see the guy inside the house, but he makes the scene even creepier. I liked the colours, and I think the lighting is pretty ok, but as it was said at the entries thread, there could be some bright light coming from behind the mill.

mirek_snd: I really liked the usage of black and white here, giving a feeling of sadness to the image. Its simplicity makes it also good for a wallpaper. My only critique is that it looks a bit empty. The floor seems to be an infinite plane of emptiness, which is kind of strange. Maybe you could’ve added some shadows from larger objects, or a wall.

didierv: Ha, funny one! That’s one way to fool the police: “The guy you are looking for is staying at room 16.” and bam, somebody else gets busted :stuck_out_tongue:

skadoosh: I liked the mix of fantasy and reality here: This is a miniature of the solar system, yet the sun burns as if it were the real sun. The dust particles were a nice touch, but I think they are a bit too big. One thing that bothers me a bit here is that everything appears to be slightly out of focus. I at least could not find any sharp edges and so it is hard to concentrate in anything in particular.

fcharr: “Right round like a record baby!” (Damn you skadoosh, I can’t get that music out of my head now :P)
That’s a nice model, and I liked the details and the framing (is that how you call the way in which the subject fits into the picture?). I just think the background is harming the image. If it were unsaturated and “smooth” (that is, no sudden transitions like cyan-red), I could just ignore it, but here it is the most colourful part of the image, which distracts me from the really interesting part.

nadal1: Nice idea, and I liked how the reflection is distorted. The image is too dark however, and it is lacking something to focus on. Sparks can be a nice touch, but alone they rarely draw too much attention since they do not have much form. I think if you made the wheel brighter (and maybe coloured it), this could look much better.

usernew: I really liked those tops (and apparently so did Helge ;)). The stones fill up the white space nicely, while at the same time blending in the background and not drawing unnecessary attention away from the interesting part. I think the next step here would be to make those tops look a bit less “perfect”, but this depends on your taste since this could be the first time they are used. The glare effect from the sun looks a bit funny though: On the left the star has only one arm, and on the right there are many stars, giving the impression that there is some strange structure nearby.

pupetz: I think I have a bad case of deja vu :stuck_out_tongue: Anyway, I liked the contrast on the background here, with blue, black and yellowish orange. I don’t understand much about white space (except that, apparently, you should keep it on the right side of the image ;)), but I think it worked very well here. In a sense, the scene is just as empty as mirek_snd’s, but I think because of the contrast on the background I don’t feel the necessity of adding anything else. Did you try placing the top on the right (gosh, that sounds weird) so that the bright light is behind it? I think this could make the top stand out, but it might break the harmony of the image.

Fulip: Really nice modelling here. I think the filter effect would work nicely in a infographic, with lines leading to balloons giving some information about specific elements in the scene. Also, I think there should be some more contrast between the bikers jacket and his trousers. Also, I found a bit hard to separate one leg from the other, and I had to think a bit to decide which one was in the front.

caz747: I thought about making a spinning wheel, but they have some many details that I was afraid it would be too complicated for me to make one. So hat off for taking the challenge! However, from the images that I saw it seemed that spinning wheels do not have legs of equal length: Either the front or the back is noticeably lower. Also (I think this was also commented on the entries thread), the background is taking away some attention from the wheel. I think if you made the walls a bit darker (or had a spotlight lighting mostly the wheel) this would not happen.

mattthecat: Nice theme, and I also liked the really bright wheel, but I think the stalls are getting too much in the way. Not only they block a great part of the wheel, but they are also empty and all look the same.

Ansaar13: I have a feeling that I must’ve seen many pictures of a roulette from this angle (maybe I am suffering from deja vu), but it always looks cool. The modelling is good, and the bright ball nicely calls attention to one part of the image. However, I think you shouldn’t have chosen black for the colour of the wheel, since it made the picture look really dark.

FlyingBanana: Some deep philosophy going on over here :stuck_out_tongue: I liked the yoyos and the lighting. I think you could’ve made the image a bit more interesting by playing around with the colours. Since yoyos are not very detailed objects, you could’ve used colours to call attention to only one of them. Here, all colours seem to be similarly saturated, and so the cup is calling almost as much attention as the red yoyo. I think you could achieve a cool effect if everything that is not a yoyo were unsaturated instead, making the three yoyos stand out.

Ryeath: Poor kittys! That dryer does not seem to do their fur much good. I liked their feet. Altough very simple, it gives the kitten a certain “toy” feeling. I don’t own a dryer, but I think it would make sense if the window were somehow noticeable, with some kind of reflection or curvature.

robproctor83: You weren’t sure what to do so you decided to do everyhing! I really liked the helicopter, it looks so cool! The carpet is pretty nice, and the background subtely makes the mess look more messy. However, I think the chaos looks too random: It seems as if you just placed a bunch of stuff there (how did that thing landed below the helicopter?). The toys look unrelated to each other. I think you could’ve used the mess to tell a story. For example, the mess could be piled up in a corner, as if Timmy made some room to play without really organizing anything. Maybe you could’ve made a simple Lego tower to serve as a stage for whatever the kid wanted to do with the helicopter.

HISTOR: Is that a companion cube? (Nevermind if you don’t get the reference) Really nice colours and lighting here. The models are also pretty cool, and so are the spider webs. The only thing that confuses me is that the metallic surfaces look too clean, yet the spider webs indicate they haven’t been cleaned in a while.

LeoBlenderToon: I like this new version with the close-up better than the initial one. One cool thing here is how the table looks really cheap, kind of indicating the owner must be poor, yet they love their “vitrola” too much to sell it, even if it worth more than the rest they have. My only critique is that the DoF is too strong, blurring some interesting parts of image (for example near the disk).

joshwinkler3d: That looks like a load of fun to drive! I liked the drill and how it “owns” the scene. The model looks like, but I think the materials could be improved a bit. I’m not sure what the yellow chassis is supposed to be made of. It doesn’t look metallic neither plastic. The black part looks like plastic, which is strange if this is supposed to be a vehicle (if it is a toy then it is okay). The floor is a bit boring, with most stones having almost the same size. The earth looks also a bit flat.

fdo: That’s a cool model, very detailed. I haven’t the faintest idea how this is supposed to work, but it looks cool. Just one thing: I think you should’ve either used the adaptive subdivision or increase the levels of subdivisions of the wheel. Looking closely I can see that it is actually polygonal.

g60: That utensil looks… dangerous. Why is there a sharp thingy near the grip?! I would definetly lose all my fingers if I tried to use this. The model is cool, and the bowl is also nice. Also, Choco’s Cocoa is a very… inovative name :stuck_out_tongue: Good to see that they have a long tradition of making chocolate since 2017. I have no idea why they are beating honey, but if it beats anything then that includes honey. With respect to the chocolate mess, I think it would make more sense, if it were concetrated around the bowl rather than scattered all over the place.

purbosky: Cool idea, and I liked the ring. But I think the bright star is drawing too much attention away from the ring. Also, the outer part of the ring which is visible is too dark.

Miatpi: Very well done, too bad you did not have enough time to render it in its “full glory and resolution”. I feel sorry for the mushroom guy: Just waving his arms won’t get him anywhere if he has no legs. The mushroom is pretty cool though.

bazevedo: I’m not sure what is spinning here. The fish in the foreground is really awesome (was it modelled or is it the reason why this is open?). I just think it is very hard to see anything other than the fish here.

DM9: That’s a really cool drone. Is it your design, or is based on a real drone? The model is pretty detailed, and I liked the angle of the camera. The background is pretty cool too, and it feels as if the drones were running a race here. The yellow+black colours make the drone look like a bee, which is nice since it flies and is probably noisy.

vaguehorizon: Breathtaking. I liked the concept, and the lighting is very good. Looks a lot like modern architecture: Some big sculpture which looks really expensive but no one knows what it is supposed to represent :slight_smile:

(sorry for double-posting, but apparently the last one was too long (over 10000 characters oO))

OLG: This reminds me of the intro of James Bond. I liked how it is hard to understand that I’m looking down the barrel of a gun, it gives the picture a certain “I wasn’t expecting that!” feeling. Contrast is pretty good too. I just think the outer part of the barrel looks a bit strange. It looks more like a spot lamp on a plane than like an actual barrel.

RoberT: Alone for the techinique this is amazing. The image itself is also really good. The waterfall is simply incredible, I have no idea how you managed to do this. You must be a wizard, that’s the only logical explanation :slight_smile:

Helge: I loved how you turned a simple, everyday situation into a dramatic scene! The lighting is really good, improving the dramatic effect. Too bad the image ended up being a bit noisy.

NATIVO: Very… avant-garde. A nice depiction of modernism :stuck_out_tongue: Okay, just kidding, I know this is unfinished. Regarding your update, I think the idea is pretty cool. It makes me dizzy just by looking.

@robproctor83
Yes at first it can be, especially if you follow only unity tutorials.
Not to disrespect their efforts, they remove barriers to their engine, but a structured c# tutorial will make you grow leaps and bounds.
Happy to recommend a great free c#series if/when you want Msg me.

Thanks for the feedback, Millani! The stalls all look the same because I didn’t have the time or patience to put much effort into the stalls! :stuck_out_tongue:

Millani, thank you for the feedback. On target as always. (bad pun???). With the lighting I used the light was extremely harsh on the outside of the barrel so used depth of field on the bullet which really washed out the barrel shape.

I have some of the technical modeling stuff down but I now have to learn to get some of the composition artistic stuff down as well. These contests are awesome because they force me outside my comfort level on subject matter and I always try to learn a new technique for it.

And… the winner of Weekend Challenge 745 with 34.43% of the votes is… HIST0R!
Here’s to all the great participators…

NATIVO : 0 : 0%
RayVelcoro : 1 : 1.64%
mirek_snd : 2 : 3.28%
didierv : 0 : 0%
Roken : 0 : 0%
skadoosh : 4 : 6.56%
fcharr : 0 : 0%
nadal1 : 0 : 0%
usernew : 0 : 0%
pupetz : 5 : 8.2%
Fulip : 0 : 0%
caz747 : 0 : 0%
Millani : 1 : 1.64%
mattthecat : 1 : 1.64%
Ansaar13 : 0 : 0%
FlyingBanana : 0 : 0%
Ryeath : 3 : 4.92%
robproctor83 : 14 : 22.95%
HIST0R : 21 : 34.43%
LeoBlenderToon : 0 : 0%
joshwinkler3d : 0 : 0%
fdo : 4 : 6.56%
david.speer : 0 : 0%
g60 : 0 : 0%
purbosky : 1 : 1.64%
bazevedo : 2 : 3.28%
DM9 : 2 : 3.28%
vaguehorizon : 0 : 0%
Miatpi : 0 : 0%

https://blenderartists.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=500467&stc=1&thumb=1
Workshop

Thanks for the input Millani, I have to agree with you on the colors being not quite right but in all honesty it was a quick modeling and rendering just to have “something” to show. I think it was about 3 hours of modeling and such then just picked some random colors before hitting the render button while going to bed. I didn’t have the time for my original “Twister” Idea but turned out I didn’t really have much time for hardly anything. Maybe next one I can get a little more time on it. Thank you again as always for your critique on all our entries. You will never hear me complain about it one bit.

Congrats HIST0R on the win. Can’t wait to see what you come up with for the next challenge.

Thanks for the feedback Milllani :yes:

@robproctor83 May I suggest you to check Godot Engine? It’s an open source game engine (MIT license). Its native language, GDScript, is much easier to learn for non developers. The version 3 will be released soon and will include support for C# too. It will also work well with blender through GLTF 2.0.

https://godotengine.org/

I didn’t notice those before. I thought they were more of the scratches he used for the old photograph look of the image.

Thanks for the critique Millani. The tops are brand new. That’s why I decided to show the sun glare :smiley: I couldn’t get rid of the long glare streak. Tried different settings. But I agree, The glare on the right is too strong :slight_smile: