Challenge #753 Voting CLOSED

@usernew,skadoosh,and millani thanks for critique.
Here’s my fixed version.

@DM9 I’m tried to create tapes with your method.
Now is better than before?

@Millani Helge’s entry had me confuzzled for a while till the updated text. It is a dot matrix printer head. It had in this case 9 pins that would be activated and they would move forward contacting the printer ribbon and in turn placing a “dot” on the paper. Think of braille. The bugs are paper lice I do believe but Helge can correct me if I am wrong.

@usernew, @DM9: thank you.

@Millani, thanks! I’m not sure if I understood that about futuristic you mention. Mine is simply based on any of these:

Of course, a new one and not so battered :slight_smile:

@usernew thanks for your comments
@Milani dito

The decals where very easy this time, just had to use my photoreference :slight_smile:

@Millani,FlyingBanana:
Actually, I didn’t spend much time on the insects - so the anatomy may look a little funny. I would call them springtail / paper lice hybrids - or maybe shaved springtails (as I didn’t have time for another particle system). :slight_smile:

It still turned out pretty awesome though. And that says a lot coming from me cause I am bug-o-phobic :slight_smile: those lil guys look kinda cute and curious.

Thanks! When thinking about Weekend Challenge entry ideas, insects, spiders and all kinds of little critters have helped me out many times. Not sure how many arthropod entries I did - but it must have been a few. And it has always been a lot of fun. :slight_smile:

@usernew and @Millani Thanks for taking the time to leave feedback.

I didn’t notice the smoothing was off on the rims of the speakers, was too tired.

Well, clearly I have lost, so I hope no one feels hurt by me posting more versions of my entry :slight_smile:
Here experimenting with Eevee, render time 10 seconds (Cycles version takes about 12 minutes, with denoiser and GPU+CPU)

http://pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=120674

@usernew, @Millani

Thanks to you both for taking the time to comment.

@Millani, that is a good question on contrails. I only saw the planes as they were landing so never saw any. Contrails on a stealth fighter would be bad though but no clue what the F117 left in its wake. My first base flew the F-111 and they did carry a lighter behind their butt for cool fireballs though. :smiley:

Is getting help from animals not against the rules?

Hold on, I’m assembling my army woodland creatures.

thank you usernew and Millani :slight_smile: This week, all my focus went into mapping the original commodore 64 keys. Taking my laziness into account, doing a good replica would probably take me 2 weeks.

This week`s results are surprising me, all the Walkman entries seem kind of tied to me…

@yafu, 10 seconds is crazy for that render. It is sad that I remember when there were separate pumps for regular and premium. You might as well make me feel worse and put $.27/gallon for the price.

Ok I feel for you there, but I had a good chuckle out of that as well. :slight_smile:

And I guess I will post this here since I didn’t have a chance to really work on anything during the weekend but I did come up with this after seeing Helge’s posting for this WC

128 samples pure and it is a
dot matrix printer cartridge.

Wow so many votes, I did not expect that. - Thank you everyone. :smiley:

@Rob, I wish that was true, that the rendering was done in no time at all. I believe, I still spend more than 12 hours in total on it. For two cassettes and half a pencil that is also a quite ridiculous amount of time. ^^ … Part of it is of course, that I am still extremely slow in Blender, but I also decided at one point to perfect the image. And I believe it is actually the most realistic rendering I ever made. - Just in case; I came up with a theme already, that will hopefully spark some more creativity. :wink:

Hehe. I had to search on the internet about how those nomenclatures are written in English.
But not all good memories, in the 80’s we were still greatly poisoned by additives with lead.

I just checked - and there isn’t anything about this in the rules. I guess we just found another BWC loop hole. :slight_smile:

As this got a little lost in the previous thread, and with the new theme already being in the oven: So far I have been following the tradition of making the new theme available as soon as possible after the voting has been closed. Which is rather convenient as this way I don’t have to be around on Thursday at midnight. [I usually am, so this doesn’t really matter much. ;-)]
Be that as it may: If the majority of participants would like the start to be moved a few hours towards Friday (GMT), that wouldn’t be problem. Just let me know your thoughts on this matter.

Hi. Maybe I become unpopular and hated with these proposals :stuck_out_tongue:
It’s fine for me if things continue as they do now. I would just like to know if the intention of “weekend” challenge is that, have fun doing the best job you can do just in a couple of hours off on weekends. Concern was not only because some may devote more days of work than those who can only work over the weekend, but there is a thing, according to rules the entries order matters for final decision in case of a tie, so there is a small advantage of those who can work on Thursdays and Fridays over which can work only weekend?. But if people think it best to take this as a “weekly” challenge instead of a “weekend” challenge, that’s fine with me.

I have another proposal to be discussed to make this more participatoryc. Since publication in Feature Row has become the “big prize”, what do you think about the chalenge Theme being chosen by a kind of online lottery among all the participants? If the lucky participant does not respond in time, the winner (or Helge) can choose the theme. But this may mean more work for Helge, I’m not sure

@str11 for me it looks better. Would you mind posting 3d view and some wireframes? I’m trying to learn how to model properly and maybe this will help :smiley: