Challenge #763 Voting CLOSED

I think we might be a little too caught up in this. I agree with what beau11 said about interpretation. I’d add that with the theme “Awake” the artist has to create an interpretation of “Awake” because you can’t just model “Awake”, it’s a state of being.
Also (correct me if I’m wrong) I don’t think there are any guidelines for voting, If someone wants to vote for the entry that best captures the theme they are free to do so. Just as someone is free to vote for the piece they find most visually appealing.
Just my random thoughts.

I was at a Starbucks recently and someone ordered a Vanilla Bean frappacino, with whip and chocolate drizzle. They received their milk shake, wide-eyed and awake, and took a sip, proclaiming – “Now that’s good coffee!”

So yes, as RobertT correctly infers, the point of the piece was not the simplistic interpretation that “coffee gets you awake” But rather that what we now call coffee is pretty far from the bitter, dark beverage it used to be. It most certainly was intended as a sarcastic commentary on contemporary tastes, with the hope that the sugary appeal of the drink itself would evoke a visceral response from the viewer.

Must admit that sometimes, since I have been taking part in the challenge, I find it hard to see the connection between the theme and some of the entries. Not that there is anything wrong in that, interpretation is in the eye of the beholder. So if I can’t see the connection then I just don’t vote for the entries, which for me, are too far away from the theme.

Same goes for a lot of the pure entries I see. They can look stunning but it often appears that other software has contributed a lot to the end product, or a lot of plugins which are not native to Blender have been used. Again there’s nothing much wrong with that, but those entries won’t get a vote from me.

I mostly go with open these days for my entries as I think the pure category should be like it sounds, and as the rules suggest, mostly new models which have been built by the participant and over the allotted time of the challenge.

The challenge is for fun and I like taking part each week. I have learnt so much more than I ever would have done without it. But the rules are the rules, so I won’t vote for stuff that appears to be too far away from them.

Thanks Iridesium and sayris :slight_smile:

From a technical perspective, Photox, PixelFX and str11 are quite close.

But i think CG-Predator Awake’s simplicity is best.

For the other discussion, some challenges will be more open to artist interpretation than the others. Some will be more technical, some will be more artistic.
Awake was quite the wide theme.

No offense taken here.

I really love this week’s entries! I have finally decided to vote for Photox. His render is simply stunning! Had I not known it was 3D, I would have thought it was real!

I wish to thank whoever voted for my entry, much love!

As usual it was hard to choose.
I voted for joshwinkler3d for the DEFCON label. Even if I stopped drinking coffee, I can remember how important it used to be in my life :slight_smile:

And thanks for the vote! I’ll do better next time.

Thanks for the votes!

Throw out some ideas for the next theme and we’ll choose one and get started early.

-Landscape
-Underwater
-Insect
@Photox my ideas. Im excited to get going early~

I know we’ve done Insect before, Underwater could be fun.

I was secretly hoping for that one :slight_smile:

Good enough, we’ll get a early start to this one – Underwater

@VeinCore: I tried to concentrate on modelling in the last entries, so I’m glad you liked the model.

I’ll have to get ingenious with this one. I simply do not have the hardware to render volumetrics like that. Still, there is more than one way to skin a cat… :wink:

My comments for the entries this week:

joshwinkler3d: I liked the joke with the DEFCON levels. The cup and table look also good. However, the coffee looks more like oil to me (it is black, not brown. Doesn’t seem to be semi-transparent either).

YAYA: Interesting critique to society. A bit cliché, but cool nevertheless. The smiley face is cute.

bluberri: I liked that eye and the way that one eye is sleeping and the other is awake. The transparent scales look a bit weird though, and I think the lighting is too homogeneous (that is, there are barely any shadows). The face is nice.

Shenfara: Quick robots, save yourselves from the evil humans! I liked the robots, though the seem to lack feet (they remind me a bit of the Mechas from old japanese movies). The camera angle/perspective is quite weird, but that is not necessarily bad.

RayVelcoro: Nice lighting. I liked those blender cups :wink: Also, the espresso machine look very classy (but how do you put coffee in it?).

Photox: Great, now I want to drink that delicious “coffee”. Very realistic, and it looks so tasty! I’m impressed how you managed to make the cream look so… creamy. At first I asked myself if one could really call this coffee, but after reading your explanation it made more sense.

purbosky: Yikes, the meteors are awake! Maybe the extinction of the dinosaurs was not an accident: It was murder! The ship and the trail look, but the image is a bit dark. I think either the ship or the eye-meteor need more light to call more attention.

fcharr: That’s how every morning should look like. The floor is pretty nice. I just think the scene needs some object, like a flower or a dog or a butterfly.

MadeWithFeet: The boring way of getting awake. Not sure if it was the intention, but this image makes me think a bit of a tendency of modern society to depend too much on pills (overtaking painkillers, for example). It might be more efficient sometimes, but other times it can be harmful, and in this case less tasty then a cup of coffee.

PixelFX: It is what it is: A cup of coffee. The smoke was a nice touch, and the porcelain looks pretty nice. The only weird thing for me is the handle; it seems to be detachable, which is not very usual.

CG-Predator: So cute! It looks so scared from the world. I just wonder how does it manage to balance itself in that egg shell :wink:

kaidoe: I liked the lenses defects you added on the borders. The flying letters are also nice, but I think you could’ve avoided placing them in front of the green “root” line.

galaxycluster: That bed looks comfy. The cloth materials are pretty good, and I also liked the pattern on the sheets.

cjardin: Ouch, that’s an expensive way to start the day. The broke glass looks nice. The floating cube is pretty cool too :wink:

didierv: I liked the colours. Interesting way to make smoke too.

str11: I loved the colours. Those cups seem impractical, but they look very cool. I also liked how they complement each other, both in shape as in colour. The little details with those magazines made the scene feel more natural. Just one thing: You could’ve added one subdivision level to the plate, it looks a bit polygonal at some points.

sayris: I loved how those pointers look like a moustache. The clock is very cute too, and it seems tempted to take a look at the blender manual. The shadows on the walls were a nice touch too.

Munno101: Just what everyone needs in the morning: An alarm to get you out of bed, a cup of coffee to get you awake, and a hammer to make the alarm shut up!

beau11: I spy with my little eye. I liked the symmetry of the scene. Those eyes are very good-looking too (sorry for the pun, I couldn’t avoid it).

DanielJH: I think you captured the feeling of having to wake up early in the moring pretty well.

Iridesium: That blood-covered skeletons looks pretty creepy (and cool). I liked the way that it seems to be trying to understand what/who it is, as if it couldn’t believe it is alive again. The wall looks nice too.

caz747: Took me a while to understand the relation to the theme, but it was an interesting interpretation. I liked how you made some constellations with the stars.

oJB: That’s quite a lot of butter for only one slice of bread :slight_smile: I liked the individual objects you modelled, they all look very believable. The handle of the cup looks a bit funny though. Why is open on the lower part?

OLG: The flowers and mountains look very nice. The frame looks a bit peculiar to me though, not sure.

RobertT: I liked how you made an ear which turned into a woken eye . The ears also seem to represent the propagation of sound. But I needed your explanation to see the mouth. Also, I loved the colours, as usual.

Helge: Where is your entry? :frowning: Or did you sleep through this one :wink:

let’s do this chums! Leeeeeeeroy JENKINS!

thanks Millani, I contemplated placing a coffee cup somewhere in my scene.

@RayVelcoro and Miatpi thanks for your votes.
I’m also thanks Millani for thorough and detailed analysis.Here’s some updated version

@INTERSTELLAR
My entry called f1 fan awake,which has already awake,and I think my entry yet fits to this theme

Actually, I did :wink:
Over the last three weeks I’ve been fighting a whole bunch of bacteria, viruses and who knows what else. For those of you, who have little kids: beware of the kindergarten! It may seem harmless, but currently, I’m having a hard time telling it apart from other bio weapon production facilities. :wink:

And… the winner of Weekend Challenge 763 with 40% of the votes is… Photox!
Here’s to all the great participators…

joshwinkler3d : 1 : 2%
YAYA : 4 : 8%
bluberri : 1 : 2%
Shenfara : 1 : 2%
RayVelcoro : 0 : 0%
Photox : 20 : 40%
purbosky : 1 : 2%
fcharr : 0 : 0%
MadeWithFeet : 0 : 0%
PixelFX : 3 : 6%
CG-Predator : 4 : 8%
kaidoe : 0 : 0%
galaxycluster : 0 : 0%
cjardin : 0 : 0%
didierv : 1 : 2%
Millani : 2 : 4%
str11 : 3 : 6%
sayris : 2 : 4%
Munno101 : 0 : 0%
beau11 : 0 : 0%
DanielJH : 5 : 10%
Iridesium : 2 : 4%
caz747 : 0 : 0%

https://blenderartists.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=514062&thumb=1
Evolution of Coffee

Thanks didierv and Millani, at least the concept carried through - though I wasn’t able to finish it.

Well done Photox, a big win that one - not too much of a surprise though :slight_smile:

Congrats yet again @Photox awesome rendering and entry.