Challenge #776 (04/05/18) Entries CLOSED

Theme #776 for Friday 4th of May 2018 is:

Space Opera

Entry closes at 22:30 GMT, Tuesday 8th of May 2018.
(your time)

“There are two main goals for these contests: Fun and Glory.
Fun: You get only 4 days to create a cool image, based on the theme for the week.
Glory: After 2 days of voting, a winner is declared. The winner picks the theme for next week.”

Please remember to state if your entry is pure, open or non-competing.
For details please check out the: CHALLENGE RULES

For new members: if your entry/post doesn’t show up right away, that might be due to blenderartist’s auto-moderation feature. Your post will show up eventually. However, this can take some time (hours). So, if you are close to the deadline and your entry is caught by moderation, just send me a PM including a link to the image. I’ll try to add it manually.

Btw.: Comments are welcome in both threads (entries/voting). Have fun! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Because of the trouble we are currently experiencing with making the original entry threads come back to life, I created this new #776 entry thread - so everything can continue as normal as possible.

It would be great if you could add entries which have so far been posted to other threads to this one, as well.

And one last thing:
To compensate for the migration confusion, the deadline will be moved one day. I’ll close the entry thread on Tuesday.

1 Like

Cool, we are up and running again. :smiley:

This is my entry: "Ninjabots Bloodmoon"
Non-Competing, modeled and rendered in BforArtists. Rendered in layers and put together in Photoshop.
To keep it quick and simple I revisited two of my earlier projects and created a fictional scifi movie poster using some models from my “ninjabots” and “statues of sira” entries.

Have a great weekend everyone!

2 Likes

By Thursday you mean Tuesday, right? :wink:

Ha! Of course. Changed it, thanks. :slight_smile:
(Obviously, only the entry post can be trusted. That is probably why those have been silenced. ;-))

Three cheers for Helge!!!

"Red Giant"

Non-competing.

4 Likes

I was wondering what was the relation of the current entries with the theme, and then I found out that space opera has nothing to do with music :sweat_smile:

Too bad I only realized this after I started mine, and I’m not changing it now :stuck_out_tongue:

Reposting…

Heiress’ Wrath

Pure entry, Cycles 512 samples, procedural textures only, compositing in Blender.

Just a random exiled space princess taking back her throne. :princess:

1 Like

@Helge : nice new avatar, it took a while to notice that cute little hands and feet!

@Photox : great render! :open_mouth:

@Millani : will be waiting for your ‘interpretation’. :grinning:

1 Like

Non-Competing

No Peace

“There is no peace amongst the stars, only an eternity of carnage and slaughter, and the laughter of thirsting gods.” - Warhammer 40K

Cleansing a food world that has been corrupted by heretical mutants during a warp space expansion.

1 Like

Hello,
PURE entry “The Roswell Story” Lot of cycles samples :wink:

Previous (better) site account used and worked. So the accounts are already transferred.

3 Likes

i wanted to checkout the actual Eevee build, but it breaks too often at the moment, so this is a quick pure cycles render with some postpro.

2 Likes

Thanks :wink: However, RobertT, bartv, DM9 and pfaffman have been on this a lot earlier than me. Thanks to everyone for keeping an eye on this matter.

With all that modernizing going on, I figured I could just as well change my avatar from ‘no custom avatar’ to ‘almost no custom avatar’. :slight_smile:

Under a Different Gravity
Open, Cycles render, 128 samples, Photoshop postprocessing.

1 Like

Here is my non-competing entry:

NO SLEEP MODE (TURANDEUX)

Pure Blender 2.79, Cycles, only procedural textures.

Imagine inspired by Puccini’s famous Turandot opera…

https://www.metopera.org/season/in-cinemas/synopsiscast/turandot/

…particularly the “Nessun Dorma” (“None Shall Sleep”) aspect and the famous “three riddles” (symbolized here in the three lights on the central figure’s head).

In this modern interpretation of Puccini, “None Shall Sleep” is modernized to “No Sleep Mode”

https://www.webopedia.com/TERM/S/sleep_mode.html

One more piece of trivia: the symbols on the left (sideways, downward) are stylized Morse Code signals for “No Sleep Mode.” I consulted some online translators to determine those symbols (dots/dashes).

RobertT

2 Likes

Wow, that’s different :rabbit:

I just posted some regular URLs above, but the forum “upgraded” them a bit.

:carrot: :rabbit2:

RobertT

@RobertT Yes this is very different but I am really liking it!
We also have a slightly larger selection of emojis :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Staged

Pure entry, 500 samples with denoising.
Edit: 1000 samples with denoising. had to switch from 16 threads to 14, blender was crashing mid render.
still faster than my old dell though.

1 Like

Ode to the Moon

Pure entry - used a few free images for some displacement/bump and masks.

The new site is interesting - quite colourful. Good to see the weekend challenge is back up.

:+1:

3 Likes