• 3dnotguru
  • fdo
  • purbosky
  • joshwinkler3d
  • RC12
  • fcharr
  • Iridesium

0 voters

After 2 days of voting, a winner is declared: The voting will close on Wednesday.
The winner picks the theme for next week.

[ If the winner doesn’t supply a theme before Thursday 22:30 GMT, the organizer will select the theme. In this case, the winner’s theme will be used the next time we are lacking a theme on Thursday 22:30 GMT. :slight_smile: ]

Having selected the theme, the winner will not be eligible to enter that week. They may however still submit an image, but it won’t be included in the voting.

This week’s winner:
ba-feature-20180511-wc

Pure Entries

Open Entries

Non-competing Entries

2 Likes

There are a lot of great entries! Especially in the noncompeting section :wink:

@Helge: Could you please change the title of my entry?

The correct title is

NO SLEEP CODE (TURANDEUX)

It appears the script might have grabbed the title of one of the links I posted concerning some of the background inspiration of this piece.

RobertT

It was a hard decision because they’re all so creative, but Iridesium got my vote. Stunning image!

1 Like

2 aliens walk into a space bar :sunglasses:

1 Like

Nice entries everyone!
Once again, I adore RobertT’s entry very much, how do you dot that; pumping out something like this every week? ^^

My vote went to Iridesium’s different gravity world. - Perfect rendering and scene, the only thing you should have addded would be some hints of life to give it more story. - Great job non the less.

My second favorite is Joshwinklers Ode to the moon. - Too funny. :smiley:

@Helge, it seems all of the images got rescaled to a very small format for the voting. It’s hard to make out any details in some of them.

1 Like

@DM9 Thanks for the comment - glad you enjoyed it :smiley:

It’s funny - seems all the images embedded using an upload have been “optimized”, according to the URL with a default size of 690x388. The only one not scaled is RoberT’s which links to an external image hosted on his site.

Done! :slight_smile:

Nice one! :rofl:

Thanks for letting me know. I just updated the script. Things should be back to normal now.

@Helge That seems to be working - thanks for the quick fix :+1:

Another thing I just noticed it that it is possible to change the vote now. That should make it even more exciting for the contestants, since one can never be sure if there are any decoy votes, that get changed in the last minutes by the user. ^^

1 Like

So few entries, I guess people were too busy either hating or loving Discourse this weekend :wink:

3dnotguru: Not sure if it was intentional, but I really liked the space bar joke :D. The stage looks pretty nice, and I liked the flying saucer.

fdo: That’s an interesting shape for a ship (or is it a station?). The rim light (specially on the planet) looks pretty cool, but I think it would make more sense to not place the ship in front of the bright part of the planet, specially since you have a lot of mostly empty space.

purbosky: She is serious about getting her throne. I liked how the colours of her clothes matches that of the carpet. She also really seems to be in command of the fleet, and very sure of her victory.

joshwinkler3d: Haha, very cute! The earth is using its gravity to keep the moon closer to itself. The grassy green material looks pretty nice.

RC12: Haha, that’s an Opera in space, all right! It seems someone got so angry with the loading time of some page that they threw their phone into outer space. I really liked the cracks on the screen.

fcharr: I wonder how effective such a stage would be, since sound does not propagate in vacuum :wink: . I liked those tube things, they look simultaneously like a subway and like a place for the audience :slight_smile:

iridesium: Loved the concept, and the geometry of that island in the middle is really good looking (is that really geometry or post-processing tricks?). The chains close to the camera made the scene look even more breath-taking.

DM9: That really looks like a poster of an over-the-top Japanese action movie. With werewolves. I really liked the semi-transparent ninjabots.

Photox: Loved the atmosphere and how you portrayed a futuristic scene as if it were a normal day. This image makes me think of the loneliness of space, with the woman being probably millions of kilometres away from home, with only her dog as a companion.

OLG: I liked the ships, they look quite dangerous. The battle also looks quite chaotic! Is the nebula in the background an image? It looks pretty cool.

RobertT: Very interesting references. I found it pretty cool how the robot seems to be singing and how the wires in the bottom look like a dress.

1 Like

Thanks, Millani. I really appreciate your reviews.
The big floating island is a combination of fancy shaders and post-processing (I really love the geometry node and its Pointiness value) :grinning:

And… the winner of Weekend Challenge 776 with 35% of the votes is… Iridesium!
Here’s to all the great participators…

Under a Different Gravity

1 Like

@Iridesium, Congrats on the win.

@Millani, thanks for the comments as always. The nebula is a procedural world image. I agree that it is pretty cool. I learned it on this tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EtXI4ePzO4 by Mark Kingsnorth.

@Helge: I appreciate the title update!

@DM9: Thank you! I’m still very much enthused and amused with all the new possibilities with Blender, and, since my transitioning to Cycles renderer last year, it has been quite a fun adventure trying new things.

@joshwinkler3d: You got my vote. Among some of my initial thoughts on this challenge topic was Dvorak’a Rusalka Opera – namely the famous “Song to the Moon.”

(I feel I need to point out the forum made a simple hyperlink into the above enhanced post)

Your image was very well done!

@Millani: Thanks for your comments, as always. The Turandot opera, and it’s beautiful “Nessun Dorma” aria, is actually quite ominous as its main character (Princess Turandot), as it’s, near its dramatic denouement, about no one sleeping until the surprise fourth riddle (of a name) is solved. I tried to incorporate some sci-fi treatment here of some of the concepts in that sequence. More about that here:

(forum, enhance link =)

To all the participants: I enjoyed all the images and appreciate the effort in each one.

@RobertT and @Millani - thanks for the feedback. Glad to see others getting something out of it and appreciate your words.

The grassy material involved hair - not sure if there is an easier way to get the effect but it worked for me :slight_smile:

@Iridesium - Quality work as always

If the tiny blue numbers next to the images are actual indicators of how many times people clicked to see the full image, then I find that a bit concerning because it means, based on the current set of images/numbers, that people made their decisions primarily by looking at the reduced image/thumbnail rather than examining the image at its full resolution.

I often expected or hoped people would click on images to do that.

Many of us put a lot of effort in smaller details which simply cannot be seen/fully appreciated at lower resolutions, so I’d hope that, in general, it will be apparent people will click on images.

So, to try to compel people to do that in the future, at least with my images, I’m going to post deliberately small thumbnails pointing to larger images, as in this example:

I didn’t do that in the past primarily because that technique usually lead people out of the forum entirely, but hopefully it’s not too much of an inconvenience.

Above all, I just would prefer people take the time to appreciate all the excellent work that is done here every single week by our participants

:grinning:

Congratulions to @Iridesium as well, and what a nice selection with the next topic!

I look forward to seeing what you and others come up with for that.

RobertT

2 Likes

Thanks joshwinkler3d !
@RobertT thank you as well.
I always keep a small rendered view at the bottom of my properties panel so I can check the thumbnail :wink:

Me too. For what it’s worth, the counter is only for Helge’s post, and if people looked at the full resolution image in the entry thread it will not increase the counter. So there is still hope, at least if you believe in :unicorn:.

:smiley:

1 Like

Congratulations to @Iridesium for winning this week’s challenge! I think I figured out the voodoo for getting posts up to the featured row. For now, I’ve just made a custom image and pushed it as the first image in the thread. That seems to do the trick. Until we find a more automated way of handling this, that’ll be the process.

Anyhow, congratulations again for the win. Great work!