Challenge #778 (18/05/18) Entries CLOSED

Theme #778 for Friday 18th of May 2018 is:

Tiny World

Entry closes at 22:30 GMT, Monday 21th of May 2018.

“There are two main goals for these contests: Fun and Glory.
Fun: You get only 4 days to create a cool image, based on the theme for the week.
Glory: After 2 days of voting, a winner is declared. The winner picks the theme for next week.”

Please remember to state if your entry is pure, open or non-competing.
For details please check out the: CHALLENGE RULES

For new members: if your entry/post doesn’t show up right away, that might be due to blenderartist’s auto-moderation feature. Your post will show up eventually. However, this can take some time (hours). So, if you are close to the deadline and your entry is caught by moderation, just send me a PM including a link to the image. I’ll try to add it manually.

Btw.: Comments are welcome in both threads (entries/voting). Have fun! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

awesome! This should be fun to try.

I recently saw this video about the simple deform modifier, and it could be quite useful this week. You could model a tiny world on top of a grid, then apply the modifiers and get a spherical world.

1 Like

@Millani, that will be a useful modifier this week. I was thinking a spherical camera view may also be of use depending on the look you are going for. Should be a fun challenge. Good luck all! :smile:

Hi all! Lovely choice of theme this weekend. Hereby my entry thus far. Its pure, 500 samples. Gonna work some more on it later this weekend I think.

4 Likes

I can’t come up with any ideas. I guess you could say I’m having a little problem.

1 Like

Does anybody here use Discord? (not to be confused with discourse)

2 Likes

Neat topic for sure, and yeah definitely use Discord @Iridesium

WIP

2 Likes

Here is my WIP work. I am taking the small world theme to an island rather than the “terrarium” ideas other people have. I want to make my scene into a small island community, isolated from the wide world far away.

This is about 45 minutes of work currently, only the basics.

@RayVelcoro Your render is going well, it is a theme park? If so, you could add related details on the ground and around the track supports.

@RC12 I really like your idea, having worlds in little bubbles is very interesting.

2 Likes

This is my final rendering everything is procedural textures only additional added was a filmic contrast curve. I finally figured out the volumetrics rendering as well with the GPU ( I think )

Pure Entry 500 samples Filmic. Think I will call this one…
" Celestial Tiny Worlds "

The thought process behind it is. Have you ever thought maybe all the worlds are just created by a giant super being and the universe was just created and laid out by one giant game of marbles? (probably not but still interesting :wink: )

4 Likes

Hello,
This is my PURE entry “Tiny world of atoms” Rendered with Cycles 1024s. At first I made large scale city destroyed by Atomic bomb but later shrinked it to fill terrarium like bottle to make it even closer to the theme. Nuclear blast made with Smoke/Fire simulation. City and trees made with particle modifier. Background image is from HDRIHAVEN best hdri site i have found so far. It took 6h to render. Sorry can’t render higher resolution to show city details due to render times. Maybe I will add closeup later.
If you will have any questions about workflow just ask.

2 Likes

This could be a potential creative angle for this topic!

Perhaps something of a Gulliver’s Travels inspiration?

:man_cartwheeling:

1 Like

Ok, I have two original idea concepts:

1. A plastic model train station by the tracks, with those tiny un-detailed smooth people figurines. A young man is talking and gesticulating to a woman who is turned away with an upturned nose, as if you say, “shut up”

2. A tight shot of a Christmas tree, adorned with ornaments, tassle and fake snow. we can see 2 tiny ski tracks in the fake snow, and then in mid air a Chrismas ornament person with skis on jumping off a bough doing a daffy.

Final Update:

Here is my Pure entry for this week’s challenge:

And here’s another (Non-entry) angle of the scene:

Thank you Photox, FlyingBanana and other’s for the motivation/support.

3 Likes

Both ideas sound promising and fun!

1 Like

Great start! One note about hands. They are really tough to pull off, and I’ve seen a lot of pieces kind of ruined by a poorly made hand. Consider no hand and just make the scene even more chatic and animated – and all in the child’s imagination.

Tiny World - Tiny Yard

Non-competing

Cycles, filmic, HDRI background, spherical camera view, contrast/saturation/sun with 3rd party software (Photoshop Pro).

If I have time I may attempt to redo over. The camera view is interesting visually.

2 Likes

This is an enjoyable theme, some good entries and ideas - this is where I am up to.

The Great Caper Caper

WIP - Pure, will need to throw a few more samples at it :slight_smile: any feedback is welcome.

5 Likes

Thx! I’ve moved on a bit since, this is where i’m at now;

2 Likes