• boblybill
  • wahyukemalajati
  • Napivo
  • Iridesium
  • FlyingBanana
  • purbosky
  • RC12

0 voters

After 2 days of voting, a winner is declared: The voting will close on: Wed, May 30, 2018 11:00 PM.
The winner picks the theme for next week.

[ If the winner doesn’t supply a theme before Thursday 22:30 GMT, the organizer will select the theme. In this case, the winner’s theme will be used the next time we are lacking a theme on Thursday 22:30 GMT. :slight_smile: ]

Having selected the theme, the winner will not be eligible to enter that week. They may however still submit an image, but it won’t be included in the voting.

This week’s winner:
ba-feature-20180601-wc

Pure Entries

Open Entries

Non-competing Entries

https://vimeo.com/272237914

2 Likes

Awesome entries everyone. Good luck on the votes

1 Like

Join the club Helge :wink:

Thank you! And of course I think the music by Eric Matyas is absolutely brilliant, I was pretty happy with the final audio mix, but I feel I could have done a little better with the visuals. In the end it’s just the result of Blender and a reasonably powerful computer and a monkey clicking a few buttons ;-).

@All
For anyone interested, I just used the “Carnegie Mellon University Mocap Library Browser” addon that comes with the current Blender 2.79x development build to quickly browse, download and import their mocap data, which really helped to speedup that whole process.

Like always, everyone has done brilliant entries this week, and as we’ve all managed to get our entries finished and submitted on time we’re all winners too :slight_smile:

Awesome entries again :slight_smile: My vote goes to RC12, I just really love the composition and lighting but I also thought that whahyukemalajati and beau11 had beautiful entries too and wish I could have voted for all three T^T

2 Likes

wow so many great stuffs, wish i could participate

That was really hard to vote, there are 10 post I like.

Nice to see such a variety of different entries.

Some comments:

RayVelcoro: I liked how the clock looks so unimpressed, but can also look happy depending on how you see the smile. The materials are good (I liked the feet of the clock), only the rust look a bit too fine grained.

3dnotguru: Hidden in plain sight :wink: The sun in the middle of the antlers made for a nice composition. I didn’t see it immediately, but the wolf-shaped smoke was a nice touch. The only weird thing for me is that there seems to be more light coming from behind than from the sun itself.

beau11: Nice use of silhouettes and rim light. The colours are also beautiful. The person was a nice touch (seems like a dangerous pose though ;))
(btw, this reminds me of an entry @Helge made for… anthropomorphism?)

fcharr: Very cool material, reminds me of those images about cells or other microscopic biological things. But I don’t recognize any shapes here (well, I kind of see a face in the foreground).

Blujay: What a looker, men must go crazy over her :smiley: The subtle face with the seats was nice. Only the colours are a bit weird for me (cyan + red doesn’t work very well, I think).

unyxium: After looking more closely I saw those bony hands waving on the window. Spooky! Thankfully I don’t have any trees directly in front of my window, otherwise I wouldn’t sleep tonight! Did you consider making some thunderstorms in the background to improve contrast?

boblybill: It took me a long while to see what the entry was about. Very subtle, well done. Sometimes a simple still life can have a hidden message deep inside. For some reason the fruit look a tiny bit plastic (maybe too smooth?).

wahyukemalajati: Haha, loved how you personified that can. Poor fellow though :stuck_out_tongue:. I can almost feel it running out of breath as the bicycle crushed it. The wheel and asphalt look pretty cool.

Napivo: This reminds me when I was a kid and used to make faces with my food. My parents would always tell me to not play with the food, but what could I do, it had such a friendly facial expression!

Iridesium: Impressive. I loved the strong impact of the image, as if the bear were some deity or immortal being. Colours are beautiful too. (And the tutorial was pretty interesting too!).

FlyingBanana: Cars just love to smile :smiley: . It seems to be using some dental braces too, which is a bit hilarious for a car.I liked how it has two mirrors as eyebrows.

purbosky: Cool idea, makes me wonder if that’s what plants do at night, when everyone is sleeping :slight_smile: Not sure if it is intentional, but one of the buildings looks a bit like a wolf.

RC12: Really nice atmosphere. I also liked the glowing lights . I just hope those aren’t teeth on the door, otherwise someone will regret going through :stuck_out_tongue:

OLG: Cool painterly effect, those clouds look really nice. The story is also pretty interesting, I just hope the pilot can escape his fate!

Helge: Haha, a noise texture never looked so interesting :smiley: I bet yours is the entry with the most references to pareidolia.

RobertT: That story is very interesting, it tells us a lot about how impatient we can be. I loved how there are no clear shapes, yet I can easily recognize a man and a woman in the foreground. The background reminds me of snakes, fire and maybe ghosts/spirits.

Photox: Awesome! I loved how when I try to look directly at the face, it seems to go away, as if my mind was only playing tricks on me.

3dmad: Pretty crazy. Interesting how you made people out of smoke. But after 1:30 the image went still. Was it supposed to be like that?

6 Likes

Thanks Millani! Noise can be a great source of inspiration. I think, I’ll keep the node setup for generating ideas (if everything else fails).

#758 Ancient Colossal Statues, I guess. :slight_smile:

Thank you Millani as always! I love southwestern art and some of it has that kind of vibe.

Thanks for the feedback Millani!

Thank you Millani :slight_smile: and yes it was, but no it shouldn’t have :wink:

I guess I should have looped the animation but I never got around to doing that. I did actually have a few other people running around, but Blender for some unknown reason decided to just ignore them and act like I had forgotten to keyframe the smoke on them ;-).

All the best,
Damien

And… the winner of Weekend Challenge 779 with 39% of the votes is… Iridesium!
Here’s to all the great participators…

Thunder Beast

1 Like

Congratulations again Iridesium!

Great entry @Iridesium!!

@Millani, Thanks! I had a some versions where the face was stronger and easier to see, but I dialed it back, and definitely pursued the fact that the face is almost a blind spot, where to the only way to ‘see’ it, is to ‘not’ look at it. The brain will literally fill in missing details, which means I guess that seeing is not always believing. Deep!

Haha, Thanks for the feedback Millani

Thanks all!

1 Like

@Iridesium, congrats! and echo the comment on cool cloud tut.

@Millani, thanks for the comments as always. Unfortunately, in the story the pilot did not survive. Died young in a blaze of glory. :cry:

thx Millani & congrats Iridesium!

At Least I learned something that will be useful in the future… In the past few months I have been studying how to make a human body but this tool suspasses my skills by far.

Together with rigify this will make things a lot easier…

Thanks for the hint.

Napivo

1 Like

Thanks for taking the time to critique my piece @Millani! I agree with the plasticy look. I’ll work on that. What IS the difference between plastic and a real apple? I spent a good amount of time tweeking settings to get the apples to look right, but never really could. Do you think the bad navel on the orange (the little green part) has something to do with it?