• Millani
  • Aminta
  • id211
  • TomZed
  • Ansaar13
  • FlyingBanana
  • Iridesium

0 voters

After 2 days of voting, a winner is declared: The voting will close on: Wed, Jun 13, 2018 11:00 PM.
The winner picks the theme for next week.

[ If the winner doesn’t supply a theme before Thursday 22:30 GMT, the organizer will select the theme. In this case, the winner’s theme will be used the next time we are lacking a theme on Thursday 22:30 GMT. :slight_smile: ]

Having selected the theme, the winner will not be eligible to enter that week. They may however still submit an image, but it won’t be included in the voting.

This week’s winner:
ba-feature-20180614-wc

Pure Entries

alf0: the lonely tree

Aveil: Weekend

DM9: Being the Red One

purbosky: Unpaired

PyBlend: Alone With My Secrets

3dnotguru: Alone in vast ocean

Peetie: Pimmie Pammie

Blujay: Never Alone

unyxium: Beyond Our Solar System

dat_boi: Lone Ronin

WassaBlender: lūx|dēsīderō|sol

joshwinkler3d: Lonely Beacon

fcharr: In My Tower

Millani: Self Love

Aminta: Forgotten

id211: Alone - the trail

Open Entries

TomZed: Beautful Solitude

(It’s an open entry due to sapling add-on and the Makehuman character.)

Ansaar13: Into The Dark

FlyingBanana: Left Behind

(Textures used is the reason behind the Open Entry)

Iridesium: Lone Majesty

(There was quite a bit of post-processing done in photoshop. I could have done it in Blender, Photoshop is just faster.)

Non-competing Entries

david.speer: Alone

astiero: untitled

OLG: Some Alone Time - Nice quite bath

Helge: Lonely at the top

beau11: Alone With Them

RobertT: ACOUSTIC GUITAR SOLO

AlphaChannel: alonepearl

wallacemarino: The Loneliest Number

1 Like

Awesome entries everyone. Can’t wait to see how the votes go. Best wishes to all.

So many entries this week. :scream:
Ultimately my vote went to TomZed. I really like the colors and lighting in this rendering.
Great job everyone, let´s see what next weeks challenge brings? ^^

Yes, there are quite a few entries this week! but… not many comments. Pretty quiet around here!

I was thinking the same thing as well. The voting thread is rather quiet. Guess everyone is having a little “Alone” time. :wink:

3 Likes

Very interesting to see all the different interpretations of the theme. Some took it quite literally while others went very abstract.

Or everyone is still too exhausted - after all, this was the weekend with the most entries (after the switch to Discourse). :wink:

1 Like

Yikes, should’ve done half yesterday. Damned procrastination…
Here goes:

alf0: I liked the terrain. The DoF made the tree look tiny, but it is actually kinda cute. The colours are rather soothing and fit the mood.

Aveil: This makes me think of an old man who frequently goes to some bench and tell his story to whoever wants to hear it. However, no one wanted to hear his, so he wrote a book instead. The vegetation looks nice, but the sky is rather strange. The scene could also use a bit more variation in terms of lights and shadows.

DM9: Don’t know why, but this makes me think of stormtroopers. I loved the two cute eyes on them, and how the red one is facing the viewer. Sometimes it is possible to be alone in a crowd.

purbosky: Love is a game of chess, and this queen is trying to (check-)mate 4 kings simultaneously! :drum: Who has two has no one, as they say :wink:
Anyway, I liked how you depicted the pawns as children. The chess pieces look nice too. Only the contrast is a bit bad, decreasing the haze around the queen in the middle might improve it a bit.

PyBlend: I liked that hair-like hand, makes me think of a mystical being. The cyan colour did not fit very well here, I would try to decrease the saturation, and maybe try a monochrome scheme.

3dnotguru: The ball looks really nice (I think you could’ve zoomed in a bit more on it), and I liked the effect with the camera lenses. The water looks a bit strange for some reason, maybe it is lacking transparency?

Blujay: Better alone than in bad company. I just hope the rat can escape quickly enough! The cat and mouse look pretty nice, only the wheat/grass is a bit strange, it is too straight.

unyxium: Are we alone in the universe oO? I liked the colours and contrast, and that satellite looks pretty nice too. I just think the nebula is a bit too dark.

dat_boi: The hair and cloth look quite nice. I think the katana is cool too, but it ended up being cropped. I liked the colour scheme, but the framing made the image a bit “claustrophobic”.

WassaBlender: Interesting model, looks like modern art. And is that giant taking a selfie with a giant smartphone :D?

joshwinkler3d: In such a fog no one will want to approach the lighthouse! The water is pretty interesting. For some reason it looks a bit like sand, which gave it a certain “painterly” look.

fcharr: Alone in my tower, rendering with cycles! And considering the number of coolers, the computer must be quite busy! I liked the painting on the wall (or is it a window?). Also, the green material on the left looks very interesting, almost gooze-like or gaseous. I just think the computer is missing all the mess of cables that they always have :slight_smile:

Aminta: Spooky, specially since the shape of the tire with the rope looks a bit like that of a suicide rope oO. This makes me think of a childhood that did not happen, like a kid who had to work and never had time to play. Their toys ended up being “forgotten”.

id211: Nice composition, although the character needed a bit more rim light in order to stand out better. I liked how the viewer is put on top of the trail, as if they were inside the scene.

TomZed: Nice mood. One can be alone without feeling lonely. I liked the subtle man on the bench, although I think the street lights are attracting too much attention.
And I’m not sure if I would sit on a bench right after the rain, but anyway :wink:

Ansaar13: I liked the pose, one last deep breath before facing the darkness. Makes me think of a person embracing a journey of self-discovery.

FlyingBanana: Poor teddy, it looks so sad! And fluffy :hugs: (gosh, that emoji is ugly…)
I loved the fur on the bear, and how it seems to be sitting, thinking about why its owner left him behind.

Iridesium: Cool tree, although the leaves seem to be arranged in a strange way. Maybe too regular? Like, they seem to be concentrated in some branches, and then there are some portions without any leaves.
I liked the haze, btw, makes the scene feel a bit more fantastical.

david.speer: That effect made the image look like some old video-game. Interesting filter.

astiero: Loved the contrast and how only parts of the girl are really visible, as if she is trying to hide from the viewer. Lighting is awesome too.

OLG: Haha, this one made me laugh. The idea of an octopus bathing is simply hilarious. I can imagine it talking in a low-pitched voice to the rubber duckies. “Watch out, that wood plank will hit you. Duck!..Quack!” :slight_smile:
But it seems to be in a waterfall… will the octopus be okay?

Helge: That moment when you reach the top and there is nowhere else to go. Was it worth it? Some of its friend seem to not have made it. I just hope it won’t jump from there. It would be a shame if those cool rocks would get dirty with slime :slight_smile:

beau11: I liked the lamps and the vines in the foreground. The image might be a bit too dark, but the guy is at least visible.

RobertT: Nice play on words! Loved the colours too. This image makes me think of a song from The Beatles (While my Guitar Gently Weeps).

AlphaChannel: That crab looks so cute! I liked the colours too. The background is a bit strange, but it fits the cuteness of the scene.

wallacemarino: Ah, this is so creepy! Specially the hair, it looks so…disgusting. Really nice work transmitting such creepiness, that poor fella must be really lonely. Like we say in Portuguese: For every crooked foot there is an old shoe that fits. Let’s hope this creature finds its old shoe :wink:

2 Likes

thanks Millani :slight_smile:

Thanks Millani, really makes me reconsider the choices I made. You say giant which is something that kinda flew over my head. I made a weird looking cyber but left no details on who or what it was. My intention with the scene was namely, to represent the hollowness that social media brings, while so many people infest their time searching for connection through their phones, the bright light would never be, or feel the same as the sun. The sun being a metaphor for friendship/human contact. But ye in my head the scene makes sense but I probably missed the mark with expressing the story to others.

Thanks a bunch I mean this is a big learning point for me cuz I like being abstract :nerd_face:

Ps that smiley is really ugly ye :sweat:

Good question. I based this one on an Everest documentary a saw a few days ago. It seems that in this case not everything (or everyone) that goes up must come down. It is a little disturbing that many of those who didn’t make it stay(ed) up there for decades. Frozen and in plain sight and for everyone to see… The answer to the questions “Would it be worth it?” or “Was it worth it?” seems to be a VERY subjective matter.

@Millani, thanks for the comments. The camera angle does make it look a little weird. I did not notice it but I do now that you mentioned it. :wink:

The octopus is actually going “piu piu”. The wood ship is shooting laser beams at the ducks.

And… the winner of Weekend Challenge 781 with 21% of the votes is… TomZed!
Here’s to all the great participators…

Beautful Solitude

1 Like

@TomZed congrats on the win!

Thank you @Millani!

@TomZed congrats on the win. Can’t wait to see what the next theme will be and see if we get even more participants.

Thanks for the comments @Millani I was a little rushed when it came to the background as I would have liked to have sculpted the rock formations and used some procedural clouds rather than the HDRI but I am just tickled pink that I managed to rack up 5 votes on it. :slight_smile:

Congrats! @TomZed
Thanks @Millani! I agree the grass is a mess, I didn’t have the time to make something more decent.

Thanks to everyone !

Really nice image, can I ask what set up you used for the fog? Is it world volumetrics or an object?

@id211 Thank you ! It’s just a huge cube that contains the whole scene with this node setup :