Challenge #782 (15/06/18) Entries CLOSED

Theme #782 for Friday 15th of June 2018 is:

The Renaissance

Entry closes on Monday, 22:30 GMT (Tue, Jun 19, 2018 12:30 AM (Europe: Paris), Mon, Jun 18, 2018 3:30 PM (America: Los Angeles) (countdown))

“There are two main goals for these contests: Fun and Glory.
Fun: You get only 4 days to create a cool image, based on the theme for the week.
Glory: After 2 days of voting, a winner is declared. The winner picks the theme for next week.”

Please remember to state if your entry is pure, open or non-competing.
For details please check out the: CHALLENGE RULES

Btw.: Comments are welcome in both threads (entries/voting). Have fun! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This should bring some unique results.

I can think of few that would disclassify me immediately and some that probably get me banned from the forum forever :grinning:

Maybe needs some more thought from my twisted mind :roll_eyes:

Napivo

4 Likes

I would honestly love to see some work that pushes some boundaries, ATM my idea is pushing a few boundaries. Hope I get it done in time tho since I got a busy weekend.
Ofc there are rules and such but also creative freedom I hope :sweat_smile:

Great theme. I am breaking no boundaries. Going for a renaissance furniture piece. Love to do ornamental architectural models.

1 Like

Renaissance Cabinet

Non-competing

Cycles, 1000 samples, filmic, denoiser, wood texture from poliigon.

Had the day off so had some fun modeling. About 4-5 hours to complete. This is so going to be my next big woodworking project. Model based on picture of 1890’s renaissance inspired hunt cabinet design.

Update: Thanks for all the comments. Here is the cleaned up version. Also the fire flies were coming due to me not having enough light bounces. Added door hardware (handles added to make the doors open easier). I guess you could have clawed at the edge of doors to pry them open. Added some fancy glass plates for decoration. One of my ornamental rosette patterns from my library.

4 Likes

Digital Sculpture

pure entry: 1000 samples.

that’s amazing @OLG!

2 Likes

Very impressive model, OLG. I suppose you used a glass shader for the glass? It seems to be causing a lot of noise, and I think in this case a transparent+glossy shader would look just the same, but without the noise.

@fcharr, @Millani thanks, it was a fun model to make. I was originally going to make it more ornate but there was no end to the ornamentation.So I just stopped.

@Millani, there is a little bit of that from the glass but the main culprit is the principled shader on the wood. I have sheen and clear coat cranked up. I have not really used it before and I guess there is a learning curve. For this render I used 2000 samples and a little better. I am going to try 3000 samples and see what happens.

Love these contests. I can create geometry all day long but materials, textures, and image rendering is still relatively new to me. I still completely suck at UV unwrapping.

2 Likes

Haha, I’m a bit of the opposite: Modelling is always a pain to me, but I could spend all day messing up with the materials.

Don’t want to ruin your piece, but I just noticed there are no handles to open the cabinet :wink: (maybe that’s why it is empty).

Hello,
This is my PURE entry “Gutenberg Bible”.
One of major renaissance discoveries. Cycles 5000s. Candle flames with fire simulator. All of the book pages are volumetric. Bible texture from Österreichische Nationalbibliothek.

4 Likes

@Millani, lol. you are right. I did forget to put on some door handles. Model going into my library so may add them later if I need the model in the future. :slight_smile:

It was still noisy at 3000 samples. At 4000 samples there is still the tiniest of fire flies but not many. Learning a little bit at a time.

The digital version is already a pleasure to look at. Be sure to post some images if you should really make a version based on wood instead of polygons. :slight_smile: I think this project would be a little too much for me. I’ve been working of some things with our kids over the last weekends. But the fruits we were aiming for were hanging a lot lower. :slight_smile:

Another thing regarding the cabinet: You could mirror the texture on one of the bottom doors. This way they wouldn’t look the same and it is a well established technique.

http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/making-book-matched-panels/

(However, I don’t know how long this has been a thing in cabinetmaking.)

2 Likes

@Helge, those are super cool for your kids.

Book matching is not hard and it has been used forever and a day. You just have to have wood thick enough to cut in half. There are several companies in the US that is all they do. It is pricey though.

I did notice on my model the material on the doors were the same but I didn’t clue in to just mirror them. Another lesson learned. :slight_smile:

I love woodworking. I actually started with this 3d stuff to learn how to create cnc patterns. First 3 years was dedicated on learning how to model geometry. This is one of my favorite pieces. Walnut and maple lumber with purple heart as an accent. The hinges are all wood. The cnc patterns were mostly made by me. This was early on as I was learning blender. Now I only exclusively use my own cnc patterns.

1 Like

The Temptress

Open entry. Using MBL add-on for the figure, hair is reusing the model in Huntress’ Crown (edited for long hair), clothes and horns are newly made. Cycles 512 samples, compositing in Blender, textures are procedural.

An attempt to make some kind of Renaissance statue/sculpture. Drape is modelled using cloth simulation and force field (wind) to achieve basic deflected shapes which then edited manually for the final position. Taking some inspirations from True Shades of the Demoness for character and pose.

2 Likes

Very nice! And that cnc stuff is looking great. I really have to think about making the computer do some of the woodworking work, myself. :slight_smile:

“Back on the Market”

non-competing (pure), cycles (512 samples + denoising)

3 Likes

The Fruit Of The Renaissance

my pure entry for this week. inspired by renaissance fruit paintings of old (as you might be able to tell my the look of the watermelon, which has changed significantly overtime due to breeding)

1000 samples, with a small amount of post processing done in photoshop cs6 to remove noise and add a vignette. compositing done in blender to tweak contrast and brightness.
all of the textures have been made procedurally.

3 Likes

“Michelangelo (di Lodovico Buonarroti Simoni)”

Dyntopo sculpt from cube. Based loosely on Portrait of Michelangelo by Daniele da Volterra

5 Likes

Nice entries everyone! Unfortunately I am pretty buisy this weekend and will most likely be unable to compete this weekend :cry: Looks like there will be some pretty good entries this week though!

On another subject. I guess Blender will finally be getting this feature:

I cannot believe Blender didn’t get this a long time ago!