• beau11
  • fcharr
  • Millani
  • granite_skull
  • purbosky
  • eyelight
  • FlyingBanana

0 voters

After 2 days of voting, a winner is declared: The voting will close on: Wed, Jun 20, 2018 11:00 PM.
The winner picks the theme for next week.

[ If the winner doesn’t supply a theme before Thursday 22:30 GMT, the organizer will select the theme. In this case, the winner’s theme will be used the next time we are lacking a theme on Thursday 22:30 GMT. :slight_smile: ]

Having selected the theme, the winner will not be eligible to enter that week. They may however still submit an image, but it won’t be included in the voting.

This week’s winner:

ba-feature-20180621-wc

Pure Entries

3dnotguru: Gutenberg Bible

dat_boi: The Fruit Of The Renaissance

Photox: Michelangelo (di Lodovico Buonarroti Simoni)

beau11: Linear Perspective

fcharr: Digital Sculpture

Millani: This is not a Painting of a Pipe

granite_skull: A mIniature of a Renaissance Soldier

Open Entries

purbosky: The Temptress

(Open entry. Using MBL add-on for the figure, hair is reusing the model in Huntress’ Crown (edited for long hair), clothes and horns are newly made.)

eyelight: Behind the Veil

FlyingBanana: The Unfinished Renaissance Fanboy Room

(Going open due to textures used and the art piece on the wall from wiki commons)

Non-competing Entries

OLG: renaissance cabinet5 small

Helge: Back on the Market

RobertT: GALILEO, RECYCLER OF LIGHT

2 Likes

voted for @dat_boi! Love the style of the photo!

2 Likes

thank you very much!

1 Like

I forgot to mention that little “things” between candles on my image are metal types used in printing press. Sorry, I didn’t have time to render it in HD res. Volumetrics destroys my PC :frowning:

lol my computer is still a quad core 2.7ghz 4GB ram and the video card does not support GPU rendering so I took up the plan by the end of the year to buy myself a new computer for Programming first mostly multi threaded tasks and game programming for unity, gaming next and blender last…

With the help of the community I came up with this

Any comment welcome there but as pointed out not here.

Sorry for this.

Napivo

I think hardware recommendations are a discussion for another thread, but just be aware that the Ryzen 7 2700X needs a newer bios than the 1700X, and so older AM4 Motherboards might not be compatible out-of-the-box with it.

As for the entries, I really liked how varied they are.

out of curiosity, does anyone think my model looks like Piccard?

1 Like

I agree Millani, my post will be redrawn and link made to the hardware post I have open on the forum. sorry

And don’t worry too much I can upgrade a bios and about anything in a computer… I used to be a computer technician and still keep up with much of the current techniques.

Anyway I will not be as cheap to not spend 50€ to have my computer assembled, tested and installed by the firm that will build it for me… when I buy a computer that worth that much.

Napivo

1 Like

A little, maybe. It’s funny you mention it as I have one render (right side middle) where I removed the beard and head hair and I think it looks alot like Piccard. En-gage.

1 Like

@fcharr and @Photox make it so.

2 Likes

Like this post if you hate Wesley Crusher.

3 Likes

Very nice entries! My vote went to @3dnotguru

Now that you say it! A cup of tea (Earl Grey, hot) would be nice.
[And is that a mobile/portable Borg alcove he is standing on? :wink: ]

2 Likes

Helge, has there ever been a Star Trek theme?

yep, I realize that. The funny thing is, it was the last thing on my mind when I was working on the project 0_0

If had to choose a star trek based theme it would be “friend or foe”

Mine would be the vagueness of “subspace”

Interesting how a thread about the Renaissance ended up on Star Trek :slight_smile:

Some comments for everyone:

3dnotguru: Nice atmosphere and mood, you captured the dark feeling of those times nicely. It is a shame the print types didn’t show up very well.

dat_boi: I liked how the jar is reflecting a modern kitchen, even though the image mimics a common setting of Renaissance paintings. The fruits look pretty nice, specially the watermelon.
The only weird thing for me are the grips of the glasses: They look too thin, and I think the right one would break if you filled it!.
Also, the grapes seem to be floating, but maybe those are the plastic ones :wink:
And I found the info about the watermelon being different back then very interesting (although, after some research, I’m not sure if it is really true).

Photox: Nice beard. I liked how you made multiple shots of different angles, making me feel like I’m getting to know the character. While the expression in the top right looks friendly, the one in the bottom looks more worried and thoughtful, showing multiple aspects of his personality.

beau11: Loved how you managed to transmit the effect of perspective in the image, with many parallel lines converging at the end of the corridor. The regularity of the perspective contrasts nicely with the otherwise chaotic look of the scene. I just think it is missing a focal point (maybe a person at the end of the corridor?).

fcharr: I liked how the statues seem to be interacting with each other, with one going like “I’m going to fly!” and the other “You silly, you have this heavy thing attached to your feet!”. They have an interesting facial expression, but some of the proportions are off (if you intended to make a human, of course. Not sure about Klingon anatomy…): The legs are a bit too short, and the torso too long. But otherwise it is nice.

granite_skull: Really nice action-figure! It would be really cool to have one of this on top of my desk. I liked how he has colourful clothes, but looks tired, dirty and in bad shape.

purbosky: I liked the pose, it made the statue seem to be in action. The veil (calling what she is wearing “clothes” is a bit of an exaggeration ;)) looks nice. I just the background could be of a different colour or maybe darker/brighter in order to be more easily distinguishable from the statue.

eyelight: That heart looks really nice, and I liked the drawing effect you achieved. The text seems to be getting a bit in the way, specially since it is just a encyclopedia description and doesn’t add to the mood of the image. Having some semi-transparent passages going in front or behind the hearts might be a better idea.

FlyingBanana: Being a Renaissance Fanboy must be quite expensive! The staircase looks pretty nice, missing only the red carpet on top of it. But I’m not sure if it would be very stable without much support, specially if it is made of marble.

OLG: Like I said on the entry thread, I loved the details of the cabinet. The plates inside were a nice touch (good thing that Blender can put things inside the cabinet without opening it :D).

Helge: Haha, is Renais the one sitting on top of the sauce? I liked how you made a collage of letters for the label, making this look like the work of a child. What is the right most vegetable on the label, by the way? I see tomatoes and carrots, but I don’t recognize the other two (I hope one of them is not hands…).

RobertT: Really loved the colours. The red light inside looks warm, familiar and comfortable, while the blue light looks cold and mysterious; Galileo seems to be more interested with the vast unknown of space. I liked how both his eyes and the telescope are looking and the sky and have that highlight typical of eyes.

Mission accomplished. Beam me up, Scotty!

2 Likes

Thanks :slight_smile: I winged the modeling this time, part of my evolution as an artist :wink: I’ll have to spend some time looking for a topology that allows me to create more diverse expressions and body types. Even short legged long torsoed Piccards :stuck_out_tongue:

So far, I didn’t find anything. Actually, it seems that neither ‘star’ nor ‘trek’ have ever been used in a theme, until now. I can’t quite believe this, so please feel free to double check. :slight_smile:

Yes, that is how they do it. You think you are participating in the Weekend Challenge and before you know it you find yourself assembling drones and Borg ships for them. (Or was it Roko’s basilisk? The world is so confusing these days…)

It is like Voyager upside down. They started with Star Trek and (almost) ended with Renaissance Man (s07e24).

I think so. However, it feels a little twisted to invent a sauce that people will use to eat you. Maybe Rammstein can write a song about it…

Good question. I’d say crooked parsnip and some kind of herbs. Or hands … TOS orion-girl hands or vulcan veins… no… I’ll stick with herbs. :seedling::herb: