• atekdigital
  • Millani
  • Altgrsgs
  • purbosky
  • fcharr
  • caz747
  • parclite

0 voters

After 2 days of voting, a winner is declared: The voting will close on: Wed, Jul 18, 2018 11:00 PM.
The winner picks the theme for next week.

[ If the winner doesn’t supply a theme before Thursday 22:30 GMT, the organizer will select the theme. In this case, the winner’s theme will be used the next time we are lacking a theme on Thursday 22:30 GMT. :slight_smile: ]

Having selected the theme, the winner will not be eligible to enter that week. They may however still submit an image, but it won’t be included in the voting.

This week’s winner:
ba-feature-20180719-wc

Pure Entries

beau11: Embrace the Moments

RayVelcoro: sofar

3dnotguru: Dragonfly

boblybill: Guitar Island

icyou520: Sun Goddess

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-i4I99IfAr4)

Iridesium: From Me to You

eyelight: Tesseract: Where is heaven?

atekdigital: land scenery

Millani: Back Home

Open Entries

Altgrsgs: secondcinem

(Open, due the scene being created before this challenge. Also this is a direct recreation of a concept art from Olivier Pron.)

purbosky: Before the Storm

(Open entry, reusing character and ship models on Heiress’ Wrath (WC #776), also serves as a prequel. All other elements are new.)

fcharr: Shadow of the Star

(It’s a modified weekly CGC entry.
http://blender-weekends.franciscocharrua.com/Video-Game-Boss.Legion.html
http://blender-weekends.franciscocharrua.com/Silhouette.Shadow-of-the-Star.html)

caz747: Moon Rise.

(Open entry here as the moon and boat are old models.)

parclite: model_silhouette

(The model is the psyche statue of Geoffrey Marchal at BlendSwap. The skin material is from Andrei Cristea at www.undoz.com)

Non-competing Entries

OLG: Postcard from Hell - Silhouette of fear

Helge: Eclipse

abdoubouam: 8

RobertT: DIVING, RESURFACING

Photox: Next

Fantastic renders this week everybody! I voted for RayVelcoro. It was a beautiful entry. Best of luck in the voting.

Thx a lot Beau! My vote goes right back at you! Love ur entry. Also would like to mention the mesmerizing scene caz747 came up with, just perfect!

1 Like

Far from perfect Photox, but for the dangly thread (and other subtle details) you get Best in Show from me

1 Like

Some feedback:

beau11: Nice scene for a postcard, it looks very calming. I liked the colours. I just think the fishermen are a bit hard to see.

RayVelcoro: Beautiful lighting and colours. I really liked the details of the trees on the bottom.

3dnotguru: Interesting natural silhouette. Nice how the sun is around the insects head, almost like a halo. The leaves look a bit flat though.

boblybill: Cool idea, almost surreal. I liked how the reflection completes the guitar. Adding some bump to the water would’ve been nice.

icyou520: I liked the cleanliness of the silhouette and how the background looks like the flag of Japan. The video was also cool (simple, but nice). I think her anatomy is not humanely possible (feels a bit deformed for me), but whatever floats your boat.

Iridesium: Nice blocky cartoony characters, they look very sympathetic. The atmosphere also looks very sandy. Is the guy “paying” for a marriage? (I forgot the proper word for that, sorry)

eyelight: Living up to your name, it seems :wink:
Interesting reference to a tesseract, although the silhouette is barely visible, and I don’t really recognize the shape of the tesseract.

atekdigital: The boat looks very well done. The scene seems to be well detailed, but the details aren’t really showing. Did you consider putting the camera closer to the boat so that it is the main element in the scene?

Altgrsgs: Looks very alien. I just think it lacks a focal point.

purbosky: I liked the composition, with the inside of the base being easily discernible from the outside. I also liked how you used the silhouettes to improve the story, with the princess (or queen) in the darkness commanding the fleet which is in the open.

fcharr: Interesting model, feels like a mix of human and demon. That woman could definitely crush my skull with a single hand! I just didn’t understand the relation to the theme.

caz747: To be honest, the first thing that came to my mind is that the moon fell on the ocean and caused a tsunami. The “smoke” of the water looks very nice.

parclite: Not the best place to change clothes, in front of the window like that! The scene feels a bit creepy, as if the woman is crying in the corner after… something unpleasant.

OLG: Cool monster, it looks like one of the races from Star Trek (I guess?). Don’t remember which one. The idea of a postcard from hell seems a bit funny (“Wish you were here” gets a whole new meaning :D).

Helge: Awesome! Simple, but beautiful! Nice colours too. It is amazing how much one can achieve in post-processing :slight_smile:

abdoubouam: Kernel picnic, haha! I liked the strange angle of the camera, and the overall post-apocalyptic feel of the image.

RobertT: Dolphins swimming in perfect symphony with the swirly shapes in the image. I liked the many references to waves, including the wave texture ;).

Photox: Nice lighting and night-life vibe. I also like the subtle story, with her being a guitarist of a rock band (guessing by her clothes).

2 Likes

I spent alot of time trying to figure out how to make the father and son stand out… I tried mist and different camera angles but in the end they didn’t work and I decided I was fine with it how it was. If anybody has suggestions I would gladly appreciate…

I think the background, being also dark, is hiding them. If there were a gap on the forest around them, I think they would stand out more.

I had the same thought, Millani. something like this;

scene

Thank you guys for the tips ill be sure to check that out :slight_smile:

Absolutely! And since I’m still having the feeling that I’m only scratching the compositors surface, there is probably a lot more to come. :slight_smile:

After your first version of the entry, I was going to suggest cutting some of the background trees down (a little). But by the time I got back home you had already started modifying those, so I chose not to interfere. (After all, fishing could be illegal at that lake - and they could have been hiding in the shadows on purpose. :slight_smile: )

However: maybe moving the tree line a little may already be enough to make the folks stand out a little more.
grafik

Another thing that I would experiment with would be to place the sun behind or at least closer to the fishermen. This will give the image a clear focal element (right now there are two, the sun and the people), but the image might get a bit unbalanced or empty.

If you look at my previous edits the sun was closer to the fishermen, however that drowned them out even further than they already were. After some suggestions from my family I decided to move the sun into a different third so there could be another focal element on the left side. My ultimate goal was to experiment with letting the eyes travel through the photo without feeling overwhelmed and without having to focus on one particular thing. After all the weekend challenge is about learning and growing as an artist. :slight_smile:

EDIT: @Helge I agree the trees could be better placed to show off the characters.

And… the winner of Weekend Challenge 786 with 42% of the votes is… RayVelcoro!
Here’s to all the great participators…

sofar

thanks :slight_smile: I loosely associated the word silhouette with body shape. Since I happened to be working on my model, I went with that. Got me some snarky comments on Facebook :wink:

Congrats on the very well deserved win @RayVelcoro!

EDIT: Do you think a cloud silhouette would look cool in the top toilet paper roll?

Congratulations to @RayVelcoro! Beautifully done!

@beau11, I voted for your wonderful render. Superbly done, and such lovely colors.

I think just making the back line of trees a bit lighter and maybe applying some soft focal blur (if even in post, e.g. in GIMP or Photoshop) could bring the people into focus while reinforcing the sense of distance (from the trees to the people) and enhancing the slight sense of mist/glow as well as giving the water and birds a subtle sense of motion (i.e. motion blur). I prepared an example to demonstrate what I mean:

Again, amazing work . I am grateful for your participation here.

Thanks and congratulations to all our participants!

Looking forward to the next theme!

RobertT

Thanks, Millani, as always, for your wonderful comments!

RobertT

That’s amazing! The time you took to create that example was extremely helpful and im very thankful for it! That goes for everyone helping with the color issue :smiley:. You guys are proof of how helpful and wonderful this community is!

1 Like

@RayVelcoro congrats on the win!

@Millani Are you referring to how the husband would buy the bride from the bride’s father? In any case, the story is that the younger guy helped the older guy build that barn and so the older guy gave the younger guy a cow. Transaction without money I guess. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Thx for the kind words all! I appreciate it a lot.

To be honest, not really. :slight_smile: I tried it but it didn’t gave the result I was hoping for. Thats the reason they are still not ‘glued in’. Actually, they where ment to be positioned behind the birds. The contents of the top roll had still to be determined by the creator. Perhaps an airplane and the Sun. Nobody knows… :slight_smile: