Challenge #789 (03/08/18) Entries CLOSED

Theme #789 for Friday 3rd of August 2018 is:

Old school

Entry closes on Monday, 22:30 GMT (Tue, Aug 7, 2018 12:30 AM (Europe: Paris), Mon, Aug 6, 2018 3:30 PM (America: Los Angeles))

“There are two main goals for these contests: Fun and Glory.
Fun: You get only 4 days to create a cool image, based on the theme for the week.
Glory: After 2 days of voting, a winner is declared. The winner picks the theme for next week.”

Please remember to state if your entry is pure, open or non-competing.
For details please check out the: CHALLENGE RULES

Btw.: Comments are welcome in both threads (entries/voting). Have fun! :slight_smile:

1 Like

My first thoughts led to George Santayana and the quote:

which made me think back to when I was locked up in Thailand and was given the book, “The Boys in Brazil”, now my thoughts go deeper then when I was a niave child.

On that note is anyone else seeing gambling adverts here on BlenderArtists?

Not sure about gambling. But apparently I’m the 1.000.000th visitor and will probably win ‘fantastic apple products’. This kind of challenges my belief in the trustworthiness of the ad network… but - taking into account Thai prisons and nazi clones - I guess, things could still be a lot worse.

You never know where @Millani’s spyders are hanging out, so many interesting bright shadows

Going with a Slovakian entry I think now!

what u mean by " Old school " , sorry english is not my main language ! Do u mean the buillding ?

Old school is a term used to mean something from the past. Like you could say, “I’m going old school and watching a movie on VHS.” The big hair in the 80’s was old school.

1 Like

Maxime choose the theme - so I don’t know what exactly he had in mind. But actually, this doesn’t really matter. Just follow any idea that comes to your mind.

And maybe wiktionary.org can be of help, too:

“Characteristic of a style, outlook, or method employed in a former era, remembered either as inferior to the current style, or alternately, remembered nostalgically as superior or preferable to the new style, the older denoting something that would be considered out of date or out of fashion to some, but as such, is considered by others as cool and hip.”

1 Like

ty guys for your replys , now i have a clear ideas about the theme !

Another common way of spelling it is “old skool”

Here’s a rare bit of a film, check out the hand made titles!

1 Like

This theme reminds me something like this

There was also a nostalgia theme and a linear perspective theme In which I created an “old school” :stuck_out_tongue:

This one reminded me of of the time when 3D rendering was in it’s baby shoes!!!

So decided to rebuild my first test in povray in blender and then I hit the same problem… again. Every chess piece I can build easily enough but not the horse or the knight.

Is anyone willing to teach it to me?

Thanks napivo

1 Like

Ok I am blaming @OLG for the mention of insomnia last challenge. Sent mine into gear and since I wouldn’t have enough time to create all the texturing for my initial post I did decide to model something quick to enter into the challenge.
This is my pure entry 128 samples filmic and denoise. Think I will call it…

“Where is my matchbook?”

Here is a link with a little trivia info about the 8-Track https://www.metv.com/lists/8-facts-you-probably-forgot-about-8-tracks

4 Likes

Can’t sleep so gonna get this thingiverse kicked off…

Bad boy, Bad boy, what you gonna do when you not paid whats due (NATO or EU Army?)

No time tonight, so just this quick pic of Putin and his bum chum Aleksandr Zaldostanov. There was supposed to be the Stalin Youth in the background.

Inspired by a Reuters article (Slovakia worried by local links to sanctions-hit Russian bikers) about Russias Fifth Column getting ready to take over Slovakia, we seen this tactic a few times now, better get ready EU!

Night Wolves logo

Mr Pukin Putin

Go to go again, hopefully get to finish this later…

3 Likes

Lovely theme, here is my WIP impression

4 Likes

I went with an old school graffiti basketball park.

Graffiti at dawn

Open (Spray Cans, Hoop from TS) Cycles 1000 Samples

6 Likes

Columns and Rows

Pure entry, 500 samples with denoising.
http://blender-weekends.franciscocharrua.com/Old-School.Columns-and-Rows.html

4 Likes

Silly question: Why are the sits facing away from the board? Did the teachers finally realize that the kids aren’t paying attention anyway? :slight_smile:

Good question: I wanted a front view of the seats, I also wanted a board in my scene. Turns out some classrooms had an extra board in the back, in case the class got turned around, I guess…