Challenge #790 (10/08/18) Entries CLOSED

Theme #790 for Friday 10th of August 2018 is:

folklore

Entry closes on Monday, 22:30 GMT (Tue, Aug 14, 2018 12:30 AM (Europe: Paris), Mon, Aug 13, 2018 3:30 PM (America: Los Angeles))

“There are two main goals for these contests: Fun and Glory.
Fun: You get only 4 days to create a cool image, based on the theme for the week.
Glory: After 2 days of voting, a winner is declared. The winner picks the theme for next week.”

Please remember to state if your entry is pure, open or non-competing.
For details please check out the: CHALLENGE RULES

Btw.: Comments are welcome in both threads (entries/voting). Have fun! :slight_smile:

Hope everyone enjoys the theme! Good luck happy blendering :smiley:

2 Likes

That is an awesome theme. Can’t wait to see the entries.

“Take Me Home”
Kids were raised, land was tended, and stories were told. A day in the life of a country family.

Better believe I didn’t miss this deadline.
Pure
500 samples, 20 minute render time.

8 Likes

This was very well done! Im wondering if you use anything like the grass essentials to get those blades done quicker or you have your own asset library.

I will admit The Grass essentials pack was heavy inspiration for a lot of my grass, but all of these were modeled by hand for this contest.

3 Likes

Cowbell

Open entry (everything is a reused model except for the cowbell and stick), 1000 samples. I once believed folklore was a Portuguese word, corny music and corny costumes, the video I linked pretty much embodies the whole Portuguese folkloric music thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2qghj7itIk says it all :stuck_out_tongue:

@texasfunk101 looks great! Only thing that seems to stick out to me the most is the ripples in the water especially at the center of the image. It looks a bit pinched almost like when you add a primitive sphere and then subdivide it, the pinching that happens at the tops and bottoms of the sphere. I don’t think that is the case though when I zoomed in on it I just think that the ripples may need a little more distance between them. But that is just being nitpicky. Again awesome entry.

Creating your own grass and such essentials is really pretty fun and rewarding in the end to say you didn’t have to use someone elses to get the result you got.

1 Like

Pure
Non-competing
"Bloody Mary

gonna call the main render done and get some character renders in

Here she is without all that grunge :smiley:

3 Likes

Indian Kerala Folklore … Made in Blender

6 Likes

Viking folklore has said that there was no Viking more powerful than Thor and his mighty Mjolnir. However when it was taken from him by a mighty giant the only way for him to get his mighty weapon back was to dress as a woman and marry the giant that stole it. At the wedding ceremony the giant had gone up to his bride to be ( Thor in drag ) and set Mjolnir down. At that moment Thor ripped off the disguise and grabbed Mjolnir and took out the giant.

Noncompeting entry

“Getting Mjolnir Back”

2 Likes

@beau11 Maybe some light fixtures at the sides of the mirror with broken bulbs and glass

Nice job on the dirty spooky look and the sculpting

After reading the description, I was expecting a hairy, muscular viking with a long beard in a wedding dress, stripping his clothes off. :smiley:

1 Like

@Millani Hahahaha I about spit coffee all over the place. That is quite the image. However the folklore never said anything other than him revealing his true identity or tearing the disguise off. So who knows, maybe Thor did take down a giant groom while in his birthday suit.

Dragon at the Pool

Non-competing

Cycles, 512 samples, filmic, Grasworld add-on, post processed contrast increase

Nothing more iconic as a dragon for folklore. A little sculpting practice.

3 Likes

The Sword In The Stone

The magical folklore of the sword in the stone, that it can only be pulled out by he who is destined to be the rightful king of Britain.

My Pure Competing Entry, 399 samples and given a glare node in blenders compositor

5 Likes

A Lullaby from the Damned Depth

Open entry, Cycles 512 samples, procedural textures + compositor. Base model is imported from DAZ3D (as it has easier controls over face expression) and edited for the self-made part below the torso. Hair is edited from the one in The Temptress (WC #782).

Character concept is based on Siren’s Harmonics.

5 Likes

Here is my non-competing entry:

LEPORID TRICKSTER

Either the hare or the rabbit has appeared throughout folklore as a trickster.

Here I’m not focusing on any single tale but simply portraying a whimsical and stylistic “leporid.”

“Leporid” was used to indicate the family both hares and rabbits belong to.

Pure Blender 2.79, Cycles, only procedural textures (used here extensively for NPR / non-photorealistic, old-world-sort-of illustration style).

Some links for further exploration…

RobertT

6 Likes

@RobertT, love the render and the shader. To me it looks more like cross stitch instead of wood stamp but the look definitely adds to the appeal for me.

I would love to see your workflow if you have it documented anywhere.

Thank God you don’t compete, nobody else would ever win.

Great image!