• alf0
  • icyou520
  • Millani
  • david.speer
  • Helge
  • purbosky
  • fcharr

0 voters

After 2 days of voting, a winner is declared: The voting will close on: Wed, Aug 15, 2018 11:00 PM.
The winner picks the theme for next week.

[ If the winner doesn’t supply a theme before Thursday 22:30 GMT, the organizer will select the theme. In this case, the winner’s theme will be used the next time we are lacking a theme on Thursday 22:30 GMT. :slight_smile: ]

Having selected the theme, the winner will not be eligible to enter that week. They may however still submit an image, but it won’t be included in the voting.

This week’s winner:
ba-feature-20180821-wc

Pure Entries

texasfunk101: Take Me Home

atekdigital: Indian Kerala Folklore

Ansaar13: The Sword In The Stone

nule: The Sword In The Stone

GIPeN: Indumentaria de huaso

alf0: the light guy

icyou520: Baby the blue ox

Millani: Guri of Iron

david.speer: The pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

Helge: Damocles

Open Entries

purbosky: A Lullaby from the Damned Depth

*(Base model is imported from DAZ3D (as it has easier controls over face expression) and edited for the self-made part below the torso. Hair is edited from the one in The Temptress (WC #782).

Character concept is based on Siren’s Harmonics.)*

fcharr: Cowbell

(Open entry (everything is a reused model except for the cowbell and stick))

Non-competing Entries

beau11: Bloody Mary

FlyingBanana: Getting Mjolnir Back

OLG: Dragon at the Pool

RobertT: LEPORID TRICKSTER

Oh man a competing entry from @Helge :smiley:

2 Likes

The hut on chicken legs

Cycles open entry(used sapling tree add-on)500 samples,denoising.Hey guys I decided to create baba yaga hut)) from slavic mifology, unfortunately did not have time on time render this work(((

6 Likes

First thing I thought of was Baba Yaga so I think you got that aspect down :slight_smile:

It’s a really nice render over all. Guessing the moss is a noise mapped mask?

Thanks for comment.Regarding the noise mapped mask yes you are right I’m quite often using this trick for some randomizing textures

I figured as much, I did the same for my rocks, but used gradient maps to get the proper height before overlaying the noise then another gradient map, so it was solid on top then fades.

I think the landscape for that render is one of the bigger node setups I’ve done though…

Some comments:

texasfunk101: Nice work on the grass, the scene looks quite idyllic. The only thinking confusing me is that I don’t know where to look at.

atekdigital: Very colourful and cheerful. I liked the overall symmetry.

Ansaar13: Is that a lightsaber in the rock? :slight_smile:
I liked the glowing light, but I think the scene is a bit too dark.

nule: The knight in the front added some suspense and story to the image. The rock just feels a bit lonely (I would expect some smaller rocks too).

GIPeN: Very photorealistic, specially the hairy-thingy in the hat.

alf0: Interesting and mysterious, makes me want know more about the light guy!

icyou520: That ox looks so cute! Though using the head of an axe as a pillow is quite dangerous! The colours are pretty too.

david.speer: That leprechaun looks quite happy with the finding :wink: I liked his clothes. I just think the contrast is a bit weak, maybe if the rainbow where emitting light?

Helge: Haha, I loved the pet bat! Being an undead can be quite dangerous when you are allergic to common things. I liked the reference to Damocles, I had to search about the story.

purbosky: I liked how I can almost feel her struggling to get off those chains. The subtle lips where a nice touch, but I almost missed them :wink:

fcharr: Haha, “It needs more cowbell” :smiley:
I liked the sense of movement, but the balloons felt quite random there (but then again, so is using a cowbell for music…).

beau11: Very creepy. I liked the overall dirty look and how her eyes are glowing red.

FlyingBanana: Thor really had a small one. Hammer, that is. (maybe that’s why he decided to dress as a bride?) I liked the scratches on the surface of the hammer. I wonder if this is before or after smashing the giant’s skull :wink:

OLG: I can imagine the dragon looking at his own reflection and saying “Who is a pretty thing? Me!”. I liked the horns.

RobertT: Very impressive effect. I liked how you mimicked the style of having a round circle around the character.

str11: The idea of a hut on chicken legs is quite amusing. I wonder if the idea came due to too much Wodka, or too little :wink:
I really liked the wet and mossy hut. The lighting is also very nice, given the impression of a dense swamp or forest.

6 Likes

@Millani Thanks for comments as usual.About idea of it came on the sober head))), I just wanted to create something from Slavic mifology

Thanks @Millani! I think, people are starting to enter the challenge because of your reviews. :slight_smile:

And… the winner of Weekend Challenge 790 with 26% of the votes is… icyou520!
As we have a tie between entries (icyou520, Helge), the earliest submitted entry wins.

Here’s to all the great participators…

Baby the blue ox

Thanks :slight_smile: My entry got more laughs than usual on facebook this week :wink: And I can’t believe I actually got a vote!

Congrats to both of you @Helge and @icyou520 awesome renders!

1 Like

@icyou520, @Helge Congrats!

@Millani, thanks for the comment and the chuckle. For a second I thought you talking about my young pretty self. Never saw a mirror (when I was younger) that I didn’t like. They stopped being my friends about 20 years ago. Fickle friends I tell you.

1 Like

Thank you to everyone that voted for me.

And Thank You @beau11 for beating me last week and picking this theme. :grin: I really like the scene I came up with, I am going to spend a little more time on it and throw it in my portfolio. If it wasn’t for your choice of theme I would of never made it. :love_you_gesture: Thank you kindly. Your “Bloody Mary” was very well done. You’re very good at many styles.

Out of curiosity: Did @Helge just make up the Tie Breaker Rule about being 1st? or was he just being nice? His piece also deserved the win.

1 Like

@icyou520 no that rule has been there since I have been entering the challenges. First time though that I seen it actually happen while I was participating though.

1 Like

Thanks! :slight_smile:

@icyou520 Thank you very much for the kind words! This challenge has helped me grow so much as an artist and without I probably would have quit blender a year ago! I’m glad you’re also getting a lot out of it :smiley:

1 Like

congrats to you @Helge and @icyou520 you made a pritty great work

2 Likes

Maybe, although when I started participating in the challenge there were around 30-40 entries, while now it is more like 15-20. So statistically there doesn’t seem to be much (positive) correlation. :wink:

@FlyingBanana,@OLG,@alf0: Thanks a lot! :slight_smile:

Don’t worry. The rule was in place long before I switched to Blender.

I could think of a few theories about that. But as far as statistics go, as long as there is no proven causation hidden behind the correlation, I wouldn’t worry too much.

3 Likes