Challenge #791 (17/08/18) Entries CLOSED

(Helge) #1

Theme #791 for Friday 17th of August 2018 is:

Serendipity

Entry closes on Monday, 22:30 GMT (Tue, Aug 21, 2018 12:30 AM (Europe: Paris), Mon, Aug 20, 2018 3:30 PM (America: Los Angeles))

“There are two main goals for these contests: Fun and Glory.
Fun: You get only 4 days to create a cool image, based on the theme for the week.
Glory: After 2 days of voting, a winner is declared. The winner picks the theme for next week.”

Please remember to state if your entry is pure, open or non-competing.
For details please check out the: CHALLENGE RULES

Btw.: Comments are welcome in both threads (entries/voting). Have fun! :slight_smile:

(boblybill) #2

Goes and googles Serendipity… Hmmmm…

(RayVelcoro) #3

Had to google it also, but instantly licked the theme. Speed modeled myself this ‘Post-It’ entry. character not by myself. The tree was modeled earlier. used a google image as window backplate. Some post processing within PS. Lets call it open.

Post-It

Challenge #791 Voting CLOSED
(Millani) #4

I just love it when people model a scene of themselves modelling that scene.

(RayVelcoro) #5

Thx Millani,

I should probably spent some two hours more on it to do some finetuning. Luckily for me I got till late Monday to get that done.

(Leonard Sam) #6

The theme is actually a title for a 2001 movie

Hi there ! :hugs:

I’m new to BA, and I have a question about contests (I have read the contest rules but the question is not treated, or I missed it)

Are we allowed to open a 4 days WIP when participating, and in the same time getting improvement advices from the community ? (I’m from France, a few years ago I used to participate to contests on the French BA, where we use to do that ) I think it’s a very good way of quickly improving it’s skills, but maybe you will think that it’s non-sense regarding the fact that it’s a “contest”

++
tricotou

Enigma Machine (WIP - Challenge #791)
(icyou520) #8

Absolutely, in fact I believe its encouraged.

Anyone please correct me if I am wrong.

(Millani) #9

You mean like posting a WIP in another thread? That should be fine.

(beau11) #10

This isn’t a competitive contest. Its mainly for growing and learning as an artist. In fact if you post your WIP here you’d probably get feedback and tips from other competitors. There’s no prize for winning so it’s not too strict… Best of luck in your entry :smiley:

(beau11) #11

Update on my entry. Im going to have to abandon it as some of the assets slowed down the file to the point where every time I clicked I got a spinning mouse for over two minutes. I’ll have to go with something else here.

(FlyingBanana) #12

Well here is what I am going with for this challenge. The thought behind it was just a simple day of building castles in the sand, while digging up sand for the castle it uncovered an old lamp. Wonder if there is a Genie inside still.

100% pure entry going to call it…
“The Serendipitous Castle”

Ok thx to you all
I made a WIP in the Work In Progress forum :slight_smile:

++
tricotou

(Millani) #14

I’m completely out of ideas this time. Guess I’ll have to wait for one to pop out at random :wink:

(Michael Litherland) #15

“Low Toner”

I think this is Open because I did the paper and LCD screen textures in The Gimp.

(Edit: I replaced my original image with this one, hopefully I did it right. I wanted a bit more clutter in the background and I recomposed a bit. I won’t have any more time to play with this over the weekend so this is now the final!)

Thanks! I’m having fun doing these contests.

(OLG) #16

Serendipitous Fishing

Non-competing

Blender 2.8 new grease pencil object and workspace, sooo much easier to use than the current 2.79 grease pencil functions

It’s going to take a little bit of time to get used to the new 2.8 layout. Everything is in different areas or logic structures.

(ZavalasAgent) #17

“A long way from home…”
This is my pure entry. I altered the colouring a little in PS after but all models are new.
Wasn’t so sure on the exact meaning of serendipity but thought it was something to do with happiness and good things happening so this was my take on it :slight_smile:

[500 Samples, cycles.]

(Leonard Sam) #18

I did not understand how to post an image
Do you just copy and paste it into the text box

(Michael Litherland) #19

Just above the text box there should be some icons, quote, bold, etc., and the 7th is for uploads. You should be able to click that then specify the file to upload.

(Leonard Sam) #20

Thanks for the feedback