• Millani
  • tricotou
  • parclite
  • nule
  • fdo
  • Leonard_Sam
  • RayVelcoro

0 voters

After 2 days of voting, a winner is declared: The voting will close on: Wed, Aug 22, 2018 11:00 PM.
The winner picks the theme for next week.

[ If the winner doesn’t supply a theme before Thursday 22:30 GMT, the organizer will select the theme. In this case, the winner’s theme will be used the next time we are lacking a theme on Thursday 22:30 GMT. :slight_smile: ]

Having selected the theme, the winner will not be eligible to enter that week. They may however still submit an image, but it won’t be included in the voting.

This week’s winner:
ba-feature-20180824-wc

Pure Entries

TenRado: Lucky find

ZavalasAgent: A long way from home…

purbosky: Close Call of the Quitter Treasure Hunter

fcharr: Renovative Reparations

TomZed: Galaxy

david.speer: Accidental Curly Fry

FlyingBanana: The Serendipitous Castle

Millani: Near Miss

tricotou: enigma_final

parclite: The discovery of penicillin

Open Entries

nule: Low Toner

(I think this is Open because I did the paper and LCD screen textures in The Gimp.)

fdo: Back Home

(I have to call it open because the (one) rock is done with meshroom. )

Leonard_Sam: THE GEM

RayVelcoro: Post-It

(character not by myself. The tree was modeled earlier. used a google image as window backplate. Some post processing within PS. Lets call it open.)

Non-competing Entries

OLG: Serendipitous Fishing

icyou520: Easy Pickings

RobertT: MANDELBROT: FROM ROUGHNESS TO RECURSIVE RHYTHMS

(Esteban Venegas) #2

F*ck, why did you close the entries :CCCCC ! Well, i leave my work here anyway :C (Kinda my first time posting something)

(FlyingBanana) #3

No @Helge entry :frowning: was wondering what you would come up with for this theme. Bummer…

(Helge) #4

My family visiting and a 70cm hole in a basement wall interfered with that. :wink:
However, @fcharr and @OLG already covered most of the ideas I had on my list - so things could have been worse.

@Rikimaru10: Nice work! Looking forward to your next entry!

(FlyingBanana) #5

@Helge Ack! That’s no fun. Sorry to hear that :frowning: Hopefully family there keeps you busy and you mind off the wall.

(Millani) #6

Your family has weird ways of getting inside your house…

(Helge) #7

Thanks, I’ll see what I can do about this.

Many (many) years ago, someone obviously decided to close an old, leaky, wooden basement window by covering it with styrofoam and plastering right over it. Since then, armed with a nail file you could probably have walked right through that wall. (But, as far as I can tell, all of my family members preferred to use the door.)

I decided to buy a few bricks + some cement and will try to close this thing properly this weekend… wish me luck. :wink:

@fcharr: I have already removed what was left of the window and some of the old mortar/bricks. But so far I haven’t found any gold… I’ll keep searching.

(Photox) #8

Bricks, mortar? No, no, no. That’s no fun, I’ve got some oily rags and duct tape if you want.

(david.speer) #9

That sounds like a really big hole to just open up?
Hopefully it wasn’t also flooding.

Another brick in the wall sounds like a great weekend challenge topic though!

(Millani) #10

Some comments:

TenRado: I liked the double meaning of both finding a gas station and finding water. Though I’m not sure how good that water is, considering the place ;).
I just think you could’ve increased the contrast, it looks almost like a night scene.

ZavalasAgent: Very beautiful colours, the place looks very magical. I also liked how the tent stands out nicely from the background. The only weird thing is that I can see a big white square on the reflections, but that is minor.

purbosky: Those WWII remains can be quite annoying, good thing those rocks got in the way. I liked the broken pick.

fcharr: What a find! I hope it is enough to pay for the repairs, specially considering the overall chaos. I also hope it is not stolen, otherwise someone is in big trouble! The porcelain material looks very nice.

TomZed: Interesting, it took me a while to understand this. I still don’t get the ball, but the idea is nice. This would make a nice wallpaper.

david.speer: The cook has to be quite careless to curl a fry like that by accident! The environment looks very nice, and the fries look nicely varied. They only needed some SSS, and maybe some glossiness for the fat.

FlyingBanana: I wonder what the pure mind of a child would wish for a genie. I liked how the castle seem to be half finished, as if the finder stopped what they were doing after finding the lamp.
You know, this reminds me of my first weekend challenge :wink:
Almost a year by now.

tricotou: Very good modelling, looks very realistic. I liked the chaos of the cables below.

parclite: Clean and nice, I liked how the powder-thingy looks wet. Also looks very realistic.

nule: Haha, who would think that something so annoying as a printer could save the day? I liked the details like the shadows and the cigarette.

fdo: Really nice colours and lighting. The rocks look really amazing (better than in the film. Goddamn The Hobbit had some really poor effects).

Leonard_Sam: That painterly effect is pretty interesting, saves adding a lot of detail :wink:

RayVelcoro: Nice lighting. The models are simple but fill the scene nicely. I liked how you subtly referenced the story of the post-it.

OLG: It seems finding the grease pencil of Blender 2.8 was itself an example of serendipity :wink:
I liked the sense of movement and rotation.

icyou520: I hope the village is still in one piece and that they can grab the apples! Although, that horse will probably eat them all soon. The lighting looks pretty nice.

RobertT: Fractals are indeed an interesting mix of sheer luck and knowing what you are doing. I liked how you added several fractals in the image, like tree-like structures and the Mandelbrot.

(Millani) #11

I should really look up synonyms for things like like, nice and pretty

Oh, I forgot Rikimaru10: A pleasing warm lighting which feels like morning. I just think it is hard to concentrate in any element in particular.

(FlyingBanana) #12

Thanks for the comments @Millani

(Helge) #13

@Millani: Pretty nice comments - I like those a lot :slight_smile: :wink:

Actually, that could be the solution. I’ve also been thinking about Wall Factory + 3d-printing. :wink:

I had a feeling something was wrong in that spot, so I just had to check it out. Things got a little out of hand but it isn’t looking as bad as it may sound.

Btw. I haven’t seen rain in weeks, so luckily flooding hasn’t been a problem.

(FlyingBanana) #14

@Helge blame @fcharr the entry came true!!! Well sort of, unless you found a bunch of gold and just didn’t want us to know. :slight_smile:

(Helge) #15

Actually, my brother brought a metal detector. Unfortunately, this:

is all we found. :wink:

(icyou520) #16

I think you over did the displacement on the metal parts, and that red painted metal shader looks fake, you should change the texture to make more sense. :wink:

(Helge) #17

You are right - something went very wrong here… this should have been gold! :slight_smile:

(Helge) #18

And… the winner of Weekend Challenge 791 with 32% of the votes is… ZavalasAgent!
Here’s to all the great participators…

A long way from home…

(FlyingBanana) #19

Woooohooooo! A perfect score of 0 this is like golf isn’t it? Lowest score wins? ROFL

Congrats on the interesting rendering @ZavalasAgent and win!!

(RobertT) #20

Thanks, Millani! I tried to add quite a bit to this while keeping it necessarily stylistic and rough to root the image wherein all this began for Mandelbrot. Some examples: across from his face is a very rough outline of the U.K. coastline (something he wrote about). On the bottom/middle to the right there are references to his statement about mountains not being cones, clouds not being spheres, lightning not traveling in a straight line. There’s some more, including a manual and basic beginning of the Mandelbrot Set. I’m glad you also caught the tree-like structures which Mandelbrot, and others since, have used to illustrate symmetries and similarities between different things.