Challenge #792 (24/08/18) Entries CLOSED

(Helge) #1

Theme #792 for Friday 24th of August 2018 is:

Fade to grey

Entry closes on Monday, 22:30 GMT (Tue, Aug 28, 2018 12:30 AM (Europe: Paris), Mon, Aug 27, 2018 3:30 PM (America: Los Angeles))

“There are two main goals for these contests: Fun and Glory.
Fun: You get only 4 days to create a cool image, based on the theme for the week.
Glory: After 2 days of voting, a winner is declared. The winner picks the theme for next week.”

Please remember to state if your entry is pure, open or non-competing.
For details please check out the: CHALLENGE RULES

Btw.: Comments are welcome in both threads (entries/voting). Have fun! :slight_smile:

(Leonard Sam) #2

How did you come up with that theme

(ZavalasAgent) #3

I was altually listening to the song fade to grey by visage and thought I would be a good theme :joy:

(Leonard Sam) #4

Makes sense

(Francisco Charrua) #5

Now everyone knows your age :wink: And I know the lyrics of the song are not “we fight the crime” :stuck_out_tongue:
It’s decided, I’m doing a piano: A fancy piano!

edit: I got this on iTunes :slight_smile:

(ZavalasAgent) #6

I’m 19, far from the age of synth, but still, such a good song :stuck_out_tongue:

(OLG) #7

Dang! Sexiest decade ever. Nothing hotter than big hair and lace. Though in '81 I may have still had my platform shoes. lol

(Helge) #8

I just checked. There is a rather strange Gregorian cover of the song from 1999. Maybe that can help to save @fcharr’s calculation. :slight_smile:

Maybe it is a good thing that decade is over. Just imagine @OLG wearing platform shoes - and me wearing diapers. :wink:

(OLG) #9

Not sure if that decade was any better. In the 90’s, I was wearing a mullet.

I do have to say that it looked pretty sexy on me. Though I may have been the only one that thought that. :wink:

(FlyingBanana) #10

Yeah I am pretty sure I will not be able to come up with an idea nor a render for this as I have been blank since the theme posted. And the only idea I had (a current day aged scene mixed to an older time fading to grey and new looking) would take too long for my capabilities so that got tossed into the trash bin as well. Will be interesting to see what you all come up with.

(joshwinkler3d) #11

Not so alone after all

Pure entry

[OLD]
It’s been a while since I have submitted anything, went away on holiday and lost track when coming back to work. This is mostly made from the default cube, maybe the glowing object should be cubed too?

Challenge #792 Voting CLOSED
(OLG) #12

Fade to Grey

Non-competing

Cycles, 512 samples, filmic, denoiser, new model, used my saved library materials

When a well loved and used personal weapon loses its blueing and fades to gun metal grey. A super fast model and render. Took about 2 hours to model and about 30 min to render. Hard surface modeling is just fun. I did not model the opposing side. Maybe sometime in the future.

(Leonard Sam) #13

nice work
so did you create the material material library by yourself

(OLG) #14

Only a portion of my library. Some I purchased, some I copied from generous folks that have shared their node setups, and some I’ve built. I’ve been learning materials for about a year so still have a ways to go.

The gun material is mine but it is derived from Miska’s procedural gun metal material (which is way better).

(Millani) #15

You know you are just plugging nodes randomly when you try to make a procedural cloud texture and end up with a moon:
moon

(DM9) #16

Nice one, make a bigger render and we might have a winner? : D

(purbosky) #17

Dying Sphere

Pure entry. Cycles 256 samples, procedural textures and compositing.

(purbosky) #18

I second this.

#voteformillani :grinning:

(FlyingBanana) #19

@Millani I really like it! All it is missing is the little boy fishing off the end of the bottom. :wink: But that might get tagged copyright. hehehehe

(Helge) #20

"Evolve To Grey"

non-competing (pure), cycles (1024 samples + denoising)