Challenge #797 (28/09/18) Entries CLOSED

(Helge) #1

Theme #797 for Friday 28th of September 2018 is:

Aviation

Entry closes on Monday, 22:30 GMT (Tue, Oct 2, 2018 12:30 AM (Europe: Paris), Mon, Oct 1, 2018 3:30 PM (America: Los Angeles))

“There are two main goals for these contests: Fun and Glory.
Fun: You get only 4 days to create a cool image, based on the theme for the week.
Glory: After 2 days of voting, a winner is declared. The winner picks the theme for next week.”

Please remember to state if your entry is pure, open or non-competing.
For details please check out the: CHALLENGE RULES

Btw.: Comments are welcome in both threads (entries/voting). Have fun! :slight_smile:

(FlyingBanana) #2

Hehehehe hopefully I can get mine done in time, thank you @Photox and @Helge for the extra time. I am going somewhere with this and this is the start of my idea. Hopefully I get it finished in time so that it makes more sense. There will be more added to the scene than just a car, this is just a couple hours of work so far.
random background for now since alpha’s aren’t supported for threads

Open entry (due to textures and HDRI) calling it…

“Flight Of The Beetle”

Challenge #797 Voting CLOSED
(str11) #3

Very nice topic, especially for modelling :slightly_smiling_face:

(Photox) #4

Bump.
I think it’s a good theme, thanks @beau11!

On the fence about entering? Do it!

(joshwinkler3d) #5

It’s funny, you can spend ages considering making something - then a weekend challenge comes up :slight_smile:

This is the first, and probably last, plane I made in Blender 10 years ago

(darkphoenix) #6

I’ve been way too busy recently to even think about doing a weekend challenge. Maybe next week I’ll manage to find time – which is a shame, because I know exactly what I’d want to tackle for this challenge! :slight_smile:

(https://za.pinterest.com/GrimZAA/) #7

Finally something i can try and take part in.

Been practicing car modeling with the new CGMaster tut, should also be able to apply it to planes,

(Uthu Santuhan) #8

Surveilance

(Haider Ali) #9

i will post my result on monday if i finish it until monday
i just caw the challange

(F.Col) #10

Here is my first try for the weekend challenge! This is an open entry. I made the plane model a few weeks back to test the HardOps addon. The backgound uses adaptative subdivision and diplacement maps. I used photoshop to add the jet distortion behind the planes.

(MadeWithFeet) #11

Another interesting subject!
This time i’m doing something colorful instead of dark and shady.

(beau11) #12

@Photox Congrats on the mention by Andrew Price https://twitter.com/andrewpprice/status/1045555066940411904!!

(Photox) #13

Hey wow that’s awesome --there’s people talking about the Oreos on Twitter – I’ve finally gone viral! check that off the bucket list. :sunglasses: One woman even coined a word: interpenetrating!

The tutorials that brought me back to Blender some years ago after a long absence was @andrewprice donuts and classic water glass simulation. The technique used on the Oreo cookies for their pattern is displacement (with maps) which I did for the first time on his cobblestone tutorial. Andrew’s Aussie charm and his fun, professional, non pay-walled tutorials are one of the true gems of the Blender world. If you’ve never checked his stuff out, then you better get over to Blender Guru today. (Try the rigid body smashing blocks tutorial)

(MadeWithFeet) #14

Acrobatic Suzy
Pure entry

Need to spend more time on the materials (suzanne doesn’t have a material atm)
Lens distortion might be way too hard.

(FlyingBanana) #15

Congrats again @Photox that’s awesome that it got noticed by Andrew and his mention about making it a tutorial. Maybe it will become as famous as the donut. Love the comment about " Sorry to break it to you but it is a picture" ROFL

(beau11) #16

You’re an inspiration for everyone in this weekend challenge @Photox!

(Michael Litherland) #17

“Learning To Fly”

Pure. The loose leaf texture was done outside of blender, but that’s it.

Edit: I borrowed ideas from @DM9’s excellent entry for adding a bit of texture to the sky. I added motion blur to the planes. Added some charms to the girls’ bracelet to make sure it was clear it was a child’s hand. Fixed some finicky details in the models.

I’m now getting artifacts on the side of the girl’s arm from the model that I can’t figure out how to get rid of, any ideas?

Edit 2: Changed lighting a bit and refined the model to get rid of the artifacts from the second attempt. Changed the colors on the charms. Upped the sample count and did a tiny bit of denoising. Final version, but if someone had ideas about how to make a pleasant looking, but not necessarily realistic skin and human model I’d be interested in learning more.

(DM9) #18

Some work in progress screenshots, still some more stuff to model for the scene. - Let´s see if I can get this one done in time?

EDIT: pilot and plane put together, still missing the co pilot though. :wink:

EDIT: On we go, the co pilot is ready to take its seat. ^^

EDIT:
Some composition testing for the “focus elements” of the scene. :smiley:

EDIT:
I did a bit of experimenting with the lighting and a procedual sky texture. I am not sure yet, if I like it. First it´s on with the background elements I think.

EDIT:
Some “happy clouds” and a few rainbows later … Render time is up from one to nineteen minutes due to the clouds. :confused: ^^

EDIT:
A heart shaped looping? - Yes. ^^ :wink:
I think I am done with the scene. Now on to final rendering.

EDIT:
The final scene …

(beau11) #19

Open due to grass essentials
Title: Flight of the Horseman
ITS SPOOKY SEASON YOU GUYS

(beau11) #20

I love it! Welcome back to the challenge :smiley: