• fcharr
  • BuildJordon
  • FlyingBanana
  • joshwinkler3d
  • david.speer
  • Millani
  • MadeWithFeet

0 voters

After 2 days of voting, a winner is declared: The voting will close on: Wed, Nov 14, 2018 11:00 PM.
The winner picks the theme for next week.

If the winner doesn’t supply a theme before Thursday 22:30 GMT, the organizer will select the theme. In this case, the winner’s theme will be used the next time we are lacking a theme on Thursday 22:30 GMT. :slight_smile:

Having selected the theme, the winner will not be eligible to enter that week. They may however still submit an image, but it won’t be included in the voting.

This week’s winner:
ba-feature-20181115-wc

Pure Entries

Peetie: Your new job

Photox: Malthus

Sci-fi-Guy: pepsiman gets fired

3dnotguru: Shark’s smile

purbosky: Bus Stop (?)

arpan15: What you see is NOT what you get

Ryu18: Light on a dark night

bullerfar: The lonely tree

fcharr: Masks

BuildJordon: Getting me coins

FlyingBanana: The scary yet friendly Manta Ray

joshwinkler3d: Inconspicuous

david.speer: Happy Mimic

Millani: Smile Smile

Open Entries

MadeWithFeet: A feast of fools

(Open entry, few texture from textures.com, post in Krita)

Non-competing Entries

OLG: Oleander - Dangerous Beauty

Helge: The Holy Blockchain

RobertT: THE TREACHERY OF RENDERS: THIS IS NOT RENÉ MAGRITTE

3dmad: The Very Dark Orange Tree

5 Likes

Close one :stuck_out_tongue:

Nice entries! The efforts joshwinkler3d put in definitely deserves a vote. I would love to see that scene in some different, more appealing, lighting setups. Perhaps a late afternoon / night scene with some distinguished warm colored street & interior lights. Nevertheless lovely entry,.

Sci-fi-Guy, Love ur entry too, also a successful attempt in sticking close to this weeks theme.

My last vote goes to fcharr, Face expression is the most hardest, and time consuming, aspect to master imo. Personally it makes me instantly feel depressed and it urges me to close the project a lot quicker than I was hoping for each time i try. :slight_smile:

“Malthus”… Thomas Robert Malthus? T.Robert M. … RobertT, I don’t think so … population growth, food supply shortage, inevitably catastrophe, …

Now I see: Insects Snacks! Well, … maybe not…

I’m probably missing something here …I don’t think I fully understand this one.

Can anyone help me out? :slight_smile:

@bullerfar
Yes indeed ;-), but the voting is still going on, so it’s really anyone’s game yet. :slight_smile:

@Everyone
Great entries everyone! I think doing still images is often a lot more challenging then doing animations, as I think most people tend to think in terms of a series of images when trying to tell a story. Trying to convey a story effectually with just one image is actually extremely difficult and something I personally really struggle with trying to achieve.

My original working title was actually “The Orange Tree On A Hill…” but I don’t think I sold the hill part very well, as I think it needed some dangling roots and moss, as well as perhaps the monster should have changed colour as it came to life.

@To anyone that might possibly be interested
I did notice the issue with my monster’s tail penetrating into the rock pillar at the end of my animation, but as I didn’t notice it until I had converted it all to keyframes in Blender Fracture Modifier and set the scene up in Eevee, I just never got around to fixing it. But I would imagine increasing the physics simulation step count would have solved the issue, or perhaps I would have needed to also use some other geometry with a simple collider on it as a stand-in for the actual tail to fix the issue.

I also had some issues with the scene being a little too dark thanks in part to people fiddling with my monitor settings here :wink: as well as just not checking the Blender scopes. As I rendered it all to just 8bit PNG files so there wasn’t really anyway to correct the problem that much, as well as doing so highlighted the common banding issue you get with 8bit images, which luckily DaVinci Resolve can easily help fix.

I also used Resolve’s optical flow retiming which saved me having to render quite a few frames. For anyone that might not know, optical flow retimeing actually generates new inbetween frames unlike Blender which just duplicates the frames and creates a kind of jittering effect to footage. I don’t think optical flow is great on fast moving footage with low frame rates but I think probably the darkness of the footage helped to disguise a lot of that.

@Helge
I can’t help out Helge, but I’m liking Photox’s idea of snacking on insects :wink:

Happy blending to all,
Damien

1 Like

Well the connection to the theme is more about the animal’s ability to change it’s coloring, like a chameleon.

The title is a reference to Malthusian theory, both for the insect and the animal. The insect population explodes, then crashes, leaving the animal with short food supply, leading to fights for the limited resource (the wound on the eye).

1 Like

I’m starting to dislike the like button :wink:

2 Likes

ROFL! I was going to like that comment but didn’t want to push the big heart shaped button. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Thanks for trying :slight_smile:

Oh! I think the insect/lizard thing distracted me from that. Based on this study these aren’t the best times for both of them…

Here I thought the story was that the lizard just snacked on a poisonous insect that made the eyes bleeding, thus the lizard became a victim as well, not only the insect. Its face is like saying, “wtf did I just eat…” :laughing:

2 Likes

Oh, yeah, that’s the alternate interpretation. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Well, if it is just the button’s shape that is holding you back you could enter:

$(".fa-heart-o").removeClass("fa-heart-o").text("🚀")

into your browsers console before clicking the button. :wink:

As I am new to this website and contest …Heartily thanks to all the artists for their work and I am sure I will learn a lot from you guys in future…:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

LOL Helge yeah that might work too.

1 Like

Nice to have you around! I’m looking forward to whatever you come up with next. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wonderful Entries. So many techniques and styles.

And… the winner of Weekend Challenge 803 with votes from 29.8% of the voters is… Photox!
As we have a tie between entries (Photox, bullerfar), the earliest submitted entry wins.

Here’s to all the great participators…

Malthus

3 Likes

Congrats on the win.
Great render Photox!

1 Like

Yes indeed! Congratulation to Photox for the win. I look forward to your new theme choice, and again well done to everyone else.

1 Like

Congrats on the win @Photox ! And congrats to @bullerfar on it as well! Awesome entries @everyone !

2 Likes