• alf0
  • Millani
  • Gourav_K7
  • purbosky
  • nule
  • joshwinkler3d
  • fcharr

0 voters

After 2 days of voting, a winner is declared: The voting will close on: Wed, Nov 28, 2018 11:00 PM.
The winner picks the theme for next week.

If the winner doesn’t supply a theme before Thursday 22:30 GMT, the organizer will select the theme. In this case, the winner’s theme will be used the next time we are lacking a theme on Thursday 22:30 GMT. :slight_smile:

Having selected the theme, the winner will not be eligible to enter that week. They may however still submit an image, but it won’t be included in the voting.

This week’s winner:
ba-feature-20181129-wc

Pure Entries

alf0: anime girl

Millani: Anime Girl with Red Hair

Gourav_K7: Daedric’s Sword

purbosky: Last Glyph Reader from Ohara

nule: Kodama

joshwinkler3d: Superbook

fcharr: Katana

Non-competing Entries

OLG: Bleach - Ichigo Fan Art

Helge: Manganese nodule

GIPeN: The great Rimuru Sama

RobertT: ANTIQUED MANGA

Photox: I stole it.

3dmad: wc805

(Member) #2

Excellent work @everyone i really like the creations you guys did,

(FlyingBanana) #3

Nice entries everyone!

(Francisco Charrua) #4

My entry is making waves on Facebook. At the moment, 14 regular likes, 12 laughs, 3 hearts. Funny enough, last week’s entry didn’t get that much attention. On Imgur, someone told me that they themselves would have been proud of making the image, however, it was still shit.

(3dmad) #5

Well I think probably all the WC participants are not doing as well as they could, or in some cases probably should, be doing in the social media fcharr, so I wouldn’t be too disheartened by this response. Currently I see that my entry is taking Youtube by storm :crazy_face:. However if I were to compare it to say the people that just live down the street from me who are enjoying almost 2 million subscribers to their Youtube channel, then I guess there’s always some room for improvement.

I personally do not think your entry is “shit” at all, and hope you do not get discouraged by this response. I think perhaps all you really need to do is study a little more anatomy and use it as reference while you sculpt, if indeed taking your characters in that direction is your goal.

In the end I think art is extremely subjective and comparing it at all is a rather pointless exercise, unless of course you want to conform your art to mainstream ideals, then I guess it’s useful to know what the majority consider to be good and what they consider to be rubbish.

(FlyingBanana) #6

@3dmad well said. Agree completely.

(alf0) #7

nice work guys amazing !!!

(FlyingBanana) #8

I wish I had time this challenge, I was going to try and do an Alucard and Father Anderson from the Hellsing Anime. Might still do it just for practice on the side. Already had a reference to go off of too but stubborn vehicles keep falling apart and needing repairs.

(Francisco Charrua) #9

I didn’t sculpt btw. I enjoy the feedback, even negative. For example:
http://blender-weekends.franciscocharrua.com/Music.My-New-Guitar.html
Someone commented how cheap my guitar was on my Facebook page. I responded with a joke or two. Then this guy tells me he wouldn’t pay more than 50$ for it, and they if I did, people would see me coming a mile away. Best compliment I ever received.

(FlyingBanana) #10

I wouldn’t take what most on “Social Media” have to say as they just want to try to look cool or feel cool or just following others trolling away. Some others may put down others works in hopes that they will just give up and that would mean one less person out there creating stuff that they feel is competition for them. About the only time I take consideration of what others say is when it is posted in a sincere place and format artstation/3d artists websites/ here on blender artists.

Seen so many people starting out get so discouraged and quit because they took to heart what some internet troll posted on social media about their work. Just remember we all started out with the cube just the same, and that everyone progresses differently and some better than others and some don’t care cause it is just a hobby and fun. The minute it becomes not enjoyable is the minute you want to look at why it is not.

If creating professional work that is one thing, if creating just hobby stuff and random things for enjoyment then don’t ever let some turd nugget get you out of the enjoyment of what you like to do. Also art is art and the creator and the viewers interpretation, meaning that yes a viewer has the right to say they don’t really like it but no need to comment further imo. I mean look at Jackson Pollock that is far from what I would consider art but others love it and others hate it, and look at the prices and value of his work.

So no matter what do what you love to do and enjoy doing! Sorry for writing a book here, I just get so fed up with the social media crowds and what they stand for anymore and promote.

(purbosky) #11

Seeing @Photox entry inspiring me to do somewhat similar, though to a lesser extent (also fueled by my own failure to complete a 3D head for this challenge so I feel the need to atone for that… even if it’s not 3D, lol).

All works done in Blender, used curves for sketches then did vertex editing for final shapes.

Girl-a

(purbosky) #12

Counting only on the amount of likes can be deceiving. At the finished artworks gallery you can find some pretty good renders that perhaps don’t even get a single like. It might also be vary from platform to platform. My 2D works on DA (2nd account) have ‘terrible’ records, in terms of active followers or faves, but it’s much much more thriving on Instagram.

Creating something that we like and creating something that people like might not always bundled up together. Remember to always enjoy, and always learn. It might need more push if anyone is striving to be a full-fledged professional though. This is just my two cents as a mere hobbyist.

(alf0) #13

damn this is so good !!!

(3dmad) #14

I had imagined you had perhaps box modeled your character and then rigged and posed it into position. I was thinking if you had applied all the modifiers, and then gone in and refined the model a little further with the help of perhaps a multi-res modifier or just the dynamic sculpting option you could have achieved a better/different result that more people might have found aesthetically pleasing.

I don’t know if you use a pen and tablet that much for your work, but I use one for just about everything I do on a computer besides programming, which I do think helps me quite a lot.

Also using alpha maps from places like the zbrush website or procedural textures as stencils and brush alphas can all help to add a lot of detail to a model extremely quickly. Although it might not have made much sense doing too much of that for this particular challenge.

(Millani) #15

Talking about workflows, I would like to share mine this week. I’m not happy with the final image I made, but quite content with the topology of the character.
I modeled a few characters thus far, but often avoided it since it was always a lot of headache to connect everything like head and arms. This time I tried something different.
I borrowed a reference image from the internet, but before starting with the modeling I made a sketch with the grease pencil of the edge loops, like this:

This forced me to think ahead about what should connect where, and fixing a sketch is much faster than fixing topology. Unlike my previous attempts at modeling characters, this time modeling was fairly straightforward.
Also, the Loop Tools add-on is quite handy when the loops of the mesh are nicely placed.

A simple trick, but it helped me quite a lot.

(Francisco Charrua) #16

A little off topic, but, here it is: I compiled bender successfully! Make full and Make release didn’t work, but Make lite produced my much sought after blender.exe :slight_smile:

(Millani) #17

Does it feel faster? :smiley:

(Francisco Charrua) #18

It’s 2.79. It opened fast, but I dared not do anything with it :wink:

(Green3d) #19

Amazing Entries

(Helge) #20

And… the winner of Weekend Challenge 805 with votes from 55.9% of the voters is… joshwinkler3d!
Here’s to all the great participators…

Superbook