(atekdigital) #36

pirates ship show piece

Challenge #808 Voting CLOSED
(Al_Torres) #37

Sunset Launch

Pure Entry Blender 2.80 Cycles, 128 samples

(OLG) #38

Sunset launches are beautiful. I had the privilege to see three shuttle launches at the Cape. Ugliest truck rocket ever made but seeing it launch was amazing. You could feel the rumble in your chest miles away. Your image brings back some fond memories. I may be reading too much into it but the single star/planet points to the goal of reaching for the final frontier, “reach for the stars”.

Beautiful render.

That goes for all the entries.

(Midnightcpu) #39

I’m on time with my scene it will be done rendering in about 25 hours :grimacing: if everything goes good
had to cut a few corners on it to finish the scene though :no_mouth:.
But all in all I think its one if my best scenes so far :grin: :smirk:.
Did a composite of the half scene a few days ago
And it looked good I was like “oh my”

And I think I found a new way to make a realistic lens flare I’m going to start testing it in a few days and see how it goes :smirk:

Nice entries everyone looking good :+1: :hushed: :fearful: :grimacing:

(Millani) #40

I thought no animals were harmed in the making of your entry… :smiley:

(SystemAgnostic) #41

So this was my first inclination: A child fulfilling a lifelong dream to travel to a remote island. Why? Treasure? Searching for a lost parent?

32 samples in cycles, made using 2.8.

But I changed my mind, and wanted something extra terrestrial. So, here is the Santa Maria II, on her maiden voyage to the Mars settlement. A picture from a child’s bedroom.

1000 samples in cycles, made using 2.8.

I used brass textures from Blendswap. And the maps and planet textures are from the internet. I assume that makes it an open entry?

(Peetie) #42

Strong story, I like it. Also lighting.

(LeighAH) #43

I’m no expert but the challenge rules don’t seem to imply that textures would affect pure/open classification. It talks only about models.

Very nice image, I like the story it tells.

(RobertT) #44

Here is my non-competing entry:

SATURNIAN SKY-SAILFISH

Pure Blender 2.79, Cycles, only procedural textures.

Inspired by Earth’s own sailfish.

RobertT

(FlyingBanana) #45

@Helge I wonder if those are the ones from this that happened a while back.

(Millani) #46

Keep Fishin’

Pure entry. Everything made in Blender, only procedural textures used.

I had to rush a bit, but I guess I can call this finished.

(Helge) #47

Addons are a known weak spot of the rules. :wink: Pure or Open? - In the end this is each artists own decision. If you’d say that this is your own creation and only relying on external resources in a minor way, you should call it pure. Regarding the grass: I don’t think that using Grass Essentials gave you an unfair advantage, as the same result could easily have been achieved with standard hair particles and some green noise. So, if you don’t say otherwise, I’ll put this one into the pure category.

Good luck. Do you know what is causing the terrifyingly huge render times?

Textures aren’t mentioned in the rules specifically. Personally, (in most cases) I don’t consider textures a relevant factor regarding the pure/open classification. However, one could argue that they are part of the model. (Like meshes, particle systems, modifiers, …). As said above, you decide. As a rule of thumb: If you would feel bad if you won this round and called it pure, then you should probably switch to open. :slight_smile: (Mapping a photo of a carnival onto a plane and calling it a pure entry probably wouldn’t feel right. ;-))
That being said: A lot of things should be considered regarding textures. Pre-made ore new? Payed content or freely available? Who owns the textures? Are copyrights involved?..

Thanks Peetie! Usually I get away with ~3 lights. It is more like 8 this time. Not sure what went wrong here. :wink:

Fascinating, never heard of that little boat. I’ve been to Newfoundland only once and I can’t remember seeing many rats - but you could actually be right. :slight_smile:

(Midnightcpu) #48

The compression is at 100%
render samps were 1,000 but dropped them to 500 its only 8 hours now.
The amount of subs and mods.
Lighting and light bouncing.
Layers.
Procedural text and normal text.
Hair.
Cloth mods.
Reflections.
Shadows.
Refractions for the face lenses.
Micro displace.
Multires for a little sculpting.
And so on :grin: the usual for a big scene that normally takes about a month, been working on it from 3pm-5am every day :open_mouth: :smirk: :dizzy_face:
Should still have time to composite after it gets done

(Green3d) #49

Towards the blue sea

Prue Entry 2.8 Eveee use materal’s from Blender and HDRI

Couldn’t do much of the texture, but another great way to test out 2.8

(Nitram_2000) #50

WIP

Testing out my water and metal. The metal suuuucks. It looks like plastic right now. I’ll redo it complety tomorrow. And finish the rest of the scene of course :smiley:

So, here is my final image.

Pure entry.
1000 Samples.

The boat hull was just thrown together last minute as I was really pushed for time on this one.

Happy with my water, anchor modelling and texturing. That was a little bit of a challenge for me, but generally it’s helping my modelling. I would also have liked to have been able to add some foam where the boat is in the water and also some seaweed on the anchor. Alas, maybe some other time as my speed and skills improve :slight_smile:

Non competing entry pure blender 2.8, a quick one, like the cycle noise

(Nitram_2000) #52

Stunning work as always, Robert. Love it.

(RobertT) #53

Thanks so much, @Nitram_2000!

I just updated my image one more time.

Wonderful work so far, everyone!

RobertT

(purbosky) #54

Bonus : turntable animation. Enjoy. :slightly_smiling_face:

Pure Eevee entry :slight_smile: