Challenge #808 (14/12/18) Entries CLOSED

(FlyingBanana) #45

@Helge I wonder if those are the ones from this that happened a while back.

(Millani) #46

Keep Fishin’

Pure entry. Everything made in Blender, only procedural textures used.

I had to rush a bit, but I guess I can call this finished.

Challenge #808 Voting CLOSED
(Helge) #47

Addons are a known weak spot of the rules. :wink: Pure or Open? - In the end this is each artists own decision. If you’d say that this is your own creation and only relying on external resources in a minor way, you should call it pure. Regarding the grass: I don’t think that using Grass Essentials gave you an unfair advantage, as the same result could easily have been achieved with standard hair particles and some green noise. So, if you don’t say otherwise, I’ll put this one into the pure category.

Good luck. Do you know what is causing the terrifyingly huge render times?

Textures aren’t mentioned in the rules specifically. Personally, (in most cases) I don’t consider textures a relevant factor regarding the pure/open classification. However, one could argue that they are part of the model. (Like meshes, particle systems, modifiers, …). As said above, you decide. As a rule of thumb: If you would feel bad if you won this round and called it pure, then you should probably switch to open. :slight_smile: (Mapping a photo of a carnival onto a plane and calling it a pure entry probably wouldn’t feel right. ;-))
That being said: A lot of things should be considered regarding textures. Pre-made ore new? Payed content or freely available? Who owns the textures? Are copyrights involved?..

Thanks Peetie! Usually I get away with ~3 lights. It is more like 8 this time. Not sure what went wrong here. :wink:

Fascinating, never heard of that little boat. I’ve been to Newfoundland only once and I can’t remember seeing many rats - but you could actually be right. :slight_smile:

(Midnightcpu) #48

The compression is at 100%
render samps were 1,000 but dropped them to 500 its only 8 hours now.
The amount of subs and mods.
Lighting and light bouncing.
Layers.
Procedural text and normal text.
Hair.
Cloth mods.
Reflections.
Shadows.
Refractions for the face lenses.
Micro displace.
Multires for a little sculpting.
And so on :grin: the usual for a big scene that normally takes about a month, been working on it from 3pm-5am every day :open_mouth: :smirk: :dizzy_face:
Should still have time to composite after it gets done

(Green3d) #49

Towards the blue sea

Prue Entry 2.8 Eveee use materal’s from Blender and HDRI

Couldn’t do much of the texture, but another great way to test out 2.8

(Nitram_2000) #50

WIP

Testing out my water and metal. The metal suuuucks. It looks like plastic right now. I’ll redo it complety tomorrow. And finish the rest of the scene of course :smiley:

So, here is my final image.

Pure entry.
1000 Samples.

The boat hull was just thrown together last minute as I was really pushed for time on this one.

Happy with my water, anchor modelling and texturing. That was a little bit of a challenge for me, but generally it’s helping my modelling. I would also have liked to have been able to add some foam where the boat is in the water and also some seaweed on the anchor. Alas, maybe some other time as my speed and skills improve :slight_smile:

Non competing entry pure blender 2.8, a quick one, like the cycle noise

(Nitram_2000) #52

Stunning work as always, Robert. Love it.

(RobertT) #53

Thanks so much, @Nitram_2000!

I just updated my image one more time.

Wonderful work so far, everyone!

RobertT

(purbosky) #54

Bonus : turntable animation. Enjoy. :slightly_smiling_face:

Pure Eevee entry :slight_smile:

(Helge) #56

THAT sounds like a lot of work. I usually start booting up blender at about 12:00am try to get things done until about 04:00am on Sunday morning. But THIS is insane! :slight_smile:
I’m really looking forward to whatever will fall out of your render engine!

(Photox) #57

"Sailing in time"

A friend of mine in Texas gave me some great feedback during the creation of this one. :sunglasses:

(Midnightcpu) #58

Well here’s my entry

Im going to go open with this I reused the portal at a different angle and time frame and there are about 15 non procedural textures

I call it “Captain and her first mate set sail”

Love the toon/npr style! Is that Cycles or Internal?

(icyou520) #60

I would of had an easier time buying a real sugar glider with mini goggles to take a picture.

(Gourav) #61

Dream of sailing
Pure
blender 2.80, Cycle render, 256 Samples.

Achieving the dreams !

(Michael George) #62

Ok, i think i feel comfortable listing it as Pure. Thanks for explaining.

Also, great entries everyone. I’m looking forward to seeing who the winner is.

(Midnightcpu) #63

You about blew my mind with this one your just missing two things :grin:.

(Photox) #64

Thanks. Well it’s missing a sail, of course, I don’t know what the other would be. I had a bunch of sails on it and it was looking really not good, so I went with the colloquial meaning.