• FlyingBanana
  • david.speer
  • Green3d
  • Midnightcpu
  • Millani
  • vaukalak
  • Nitram_2000

0 voters

After 2 days of voting, a winner is declared: The voting will close on: Wed, Jan 9, 2019 11:00 PM.
The winner picks the theme for next week.

If the winner doesn’t supply a theme before Thursday 22:30 GMT, the organizer will select the theme. In this case, the winner’s theme will be used the next time we are lacking a theme on Thursday 22:30 GMT. :slight_smile:

Having selected the theme, the winner will not be eligible to enter that week. They may however still submit an image, but it won’t be included in the voting.

This week’s winner:

ba-feature-20190111-wc

Pure Entries

3dnotguru: Best tool

ARC9: Blender is a tool right?

RayVelcoro: Swiss Army Knife

Sid_J: A needle for a hundred pins

purbosky: Concentric Apparatus

fcharr: On the Verge

Maelys031: The ultimate tool

Atomvar: Optical Mouse

Peaceful.Whale: weekend challenge Final

FlyingBanana: Cue Smithing

david.speer: Stage For a New Dawn

Green3d: Man of Tools

Midnightcpu: the creation from 3d to existance

Millani: Forbidden Knowledge

vaukalak: Tools case

Open Entries

Nitram_2000: Evolution of war tools

(Found the name of the guy who created the gun model - epittsburg (https://www.blendswap.com/user/epittsburg). Everything else was modeled by myself.)

Non-competing Entries

OLG: Super Power Tool - Stylized Silo Test Launch

Helge: I’m a doctor, not a scarecrow!

Photox: Crafted

RobertT: FLAT-HEAD DREAD

(FlyingBanana) #2

Great entries everyone. Awesome jobs.

(Midnightcpu) #3

This one is way too tough for me to vote on so I decided not to vote for one but all of you I’ll cast my vote after more consideration.
Good work everyone :grin::+1:

(Midnightcpu) #4

Forgot to tell you suzzan is wearing the custom toon shader I made for eevee

(FlyingBanana) #5

A little bit of boredom struck along with a bit of insomnia. So looking at @RayVelcoro entry, I couldn’t let there be a swiss army knife and no duct tape so my brain wouldn’t let me sleep till I did something about it.

(RayVelcoro) #6

Nice! The only thing missing now are the tie-wraps :slight_smile:

(Helge) #7

If this issue hasn’t been cured by now, a few cans of WD-40 would be nice. :wink:

(RayVelcoro) #8

Does the winner have to review all entries? I think I read something about that a while ago.

(FlyingBanana) #9

I think it was just an option, and was more of a suggestion not a requirement.

(Helge) #10

Don’t worry. The winner will have to find the next theme - that’s all. :slight_smile:

(Of course, nobody will ever be prevented from writing any reviews.)

(RayVelcoro) #11

Ah, ok thx!

Not sure I will win this one of course, but it sure looks like it. Therefor I would like to say something in general wich I think is useful for a lot of participants. Keyword is lighting. Do not underestimate the power of proper lighting to achieve photo realism. I see beautiful modeling what should be complimented by a more sophisticated way of lighting. My first tip would be to avoid the good ol’ sunlamp for while just to get in touch with other ways of lighting.

First i would like to point out the helpful use of HDR Image-Based Lighting. It is pretty simple to implement and gives a lot of variety right off the bat by switching between different hdr images (a Lot of free high-res hdr’s), adjusting the mapping of the hdr and its strength. If you go to the world settings in the node editor you can easily add one and adjust it to your liking:

In adition to a nice hdr background you can very easy add some broken sunlight effect to your scene to spice it up even more. When you subdivide a plane 20ish times with some fractal value added to it. Then select 25% random faces and delete them you have a nice template you can place between your scene and a spot- / arealamp. And it almost instantly gives you sparkling light fall-off. Something like this:

One last thing regarding lighting, avoid using plain white (#ffffff) as your light color, use the blackbody node and use values between 3000 and 7500 for daylight scenes.

Hope this helps!

(FlyingBanana) #12

@Helge

Blockquote If this issue hasn’t been cured by now, a few cans of WD-40 would be nice. :wink:

@RayVelcoro

Blockquote Nice! The only thing missing now are the tie-wraps :slight_smile:

Problem fixed :slight_smile: Now maybe I will be able to sleep at some point. Also nice tip on the lighting. I love using blackbody lighting.

(Midnightcpu) #13

I use sunlamps outside or for Windows and I use point or hemi for inside lighting.
Only time I use spot is for street lights at night or to light one side of a planet.
I only use environment textures for reflection never lighting. :grin::yum:

(Francisco Charrua) #14

I think it’s a great Idea :slight_smile:

(Midnightcpu) #15

I like it too it gives insight on each piece :grin::sweat_smile::yum::drooling_face:

(Helge) #16

That was fast! Very nice :slight_smile:

(Helge) #17

And… the winner of Weekend Challenge 811 with votes from 52.3% of the voters is… RayVelcoro!
Here’s to all the great participators…

Swiss Army Knife

(FlyingBanana) #18

Congrats on an awesome pbr rendering @RayVelcoro !!!

@Helge Thanks. Yeah object scales are way off but it is quick and easy when you use image textures, unwrap, plug in principaled node and tada! :wink:

(purbosky) #19

Congrats @RayVelcoro !

Btw, concerning review, I think giving a good comment/critique can be as hard as making a good artwork itself (not to mention if there were like 20+ entries, lol) so it’s better left as an optional task. :slightly_smiling_face:

(Green3d) #20

congrats RayVelcoro