Challenge #815 (01/02/19) Entries CLOSED

(Helge) #1

Theme #815 for Friday 1st of February 2019 is:

cliffhanger

Entry closes on Monday, 22:30 GMT (Mon, Feb 4, 2019 10:30 PM)

“There are two main goals for these contests: Fun and Glory.
Fun: You get only 4 days to create a cool image, based on the theme for the week.
Glory: After 2 days of voting, a winner is declared. The winner picks the theme for next week.”

Please remember to state if your entry is pure, open or non-competing.
For details please check out the: CHALLENGE RULES

Btw.: Comments are welcome in both threads (entries/voting). Have fun! :slight_smile:

0 Likes

(BlenderRens) #2

Looking forward to seeing what people come up with! Hope you enjoy the theme ^^

0 Likes

(Francisco Charrua) #3

http://blender-weekends.franciscocharrua.com/Dangerous-Situation.Cliffhanger.html

I thought it sounded familiar.

3 Likes

(FlyingBanana) #4

Going for a cliffhanging supply delivery. Might make additional changes and render at a higher sample count.
Pure entry done in cycles and filmic. Calling it…

“Supply Delivery Mishap”

4 Likes

Challenge #815 Voting CLOSED
(3dnotguru) #5

Hello,
This is my PURE entry “Thin red line”
Blender Cycles 512s.
Mountains: noisy displace + subsurf + modeling
Rope: screw mod. + modeling + hair particles
Ice axe: modeling

My entry is almost literal interpretation so I am waiting to see other figurative ideas this week. Good luck.

6 Likes

(BlenderRens) #6

Nice work!!! Maybe you can make the axe swing as a final act to prevent a disastrous ending ;)! The mountains look really good !!

0 Likes

(OLG) #7

Climax or Denouement

Non-competing

Cycles, 256 samples, flimic, microdisplacement, hdri lighting, 6 hair particle systems, Graswald for the weeds, everything else new, contrast enhancement, border and name done with Paintshop Pro

Super fun project. Finished it in about 3 hours and then another 3 hours trying to get a good camera angle, image composition and render. Created in 2.79 and rendered in 2.8 but crashed several times. I don’t think my computer liked all the particle systems. Loosely based on Scrat from Ice Age. I wasn’t particularly careful on modeling it. The fur hides a lot of modeling sins. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

(purbosky) #8

WIP: cliff hangar, sorry for the pun. :grinning:

815-wip1

7 Likes

(3dnotguru) #9

Thank you. Snow material was a hardest part for me. I thought about this idea before ( swinging axe). Are you sure it is not what the scene shows? And can you be sure anyone is hanging on the rope? :wink: I like to make pictures which can be interpreted many ways even when look simple.

0 Likes

(BlenderRens) #10

The rope part is pretty clear haha and well executed too. :slight_smile:

0 Likes

(purbosky) #11

I wonder if I’m the only one that see @OLG’s entry can be a sequel to @3dnotguru’s entry… :smile:

1 Like

(joshwinkler3d) #12

@purbosky speaking of puns, you got me to do this :slightly_smiling_face:

Non-competing

Not my entry but something I pulled together quickly

8 Likes

(RobertT) #13

Here my work-in-progress…

THE CLIFF-CLENCHERS OF CALLISTO

RobertT

4 Likes

(Millani) #14

If I post a WIP and do not finish it, wouldn’t that count as a cliffhanger (in the story telling sense)? :thinking:

6 Likes

Here is my pure entry : Jumping or not?

The mountain goat (Oreamnos americanus) is an epic goat living in Canada. For this week topic, I thought : what a better climber than this goat! So here it is. It has 500 samples and denoising. I used a HDRI for the lighting and two photos for the rock texture.
It has 7 particle systems for the fur and 2 for the moss on the rocks. My computer crashed like 3 times and the render took 10 hours… Particles are heavy.
I used a little lens distortion and hue-saturation value correction in post-processing.

5 Likes

(OLG) #16

lol. They should be connected. I think the weasel (or what ever it is) would prefer the ice pick over that rope. That would be like going from the frying pan and into the fire. :slight_smile:

1 Like

(Francisco Charrua) #17

Last Page

http://blender-weekends.franciscocharrua.com/Cliffhanger.Last-Page.html

Open entry, model taken from http://blender-weekends.franciscocharrua.com/Silhouette.Shadow-of-the-Star.html

2 Likes

(Helge) #18

"08/15"

non-competing (pure), cycles (512 samples + denoising)

8 Likes

(PyBlend) #19

"Falling Bonsai"
Competing, Pure, Cycles, 128 Samples, Denoising, Vignette

This was basically a doodle, roughly equal to drawing rectangles in MS Paint, but it was fun, and I like the result, so that counts as a win in my book. :grin:

6 Likes

(Millani) #20

That “cubist” look is very cute. It seems like a scenario for a platform game.

0 Likes