Challenge #816 (08/02/19) Entries CLOSED

Choosers of the Dead

Non-competing

Cycles, 2000 samples, filmic, freestyle, post processing with Paintshop Pro

I had a Huey in my library (actually one of my first models using blender many years ago) so tried to recreate or at least get the feel of the iconic poster from Apocalypse Now.

The Bell UH-1 Iroquois (nicknamed " Huey ") is a utility military helicopter powered by a single turboshaft engine, with two-blade main and tail rotors. It is still in use today in the US military and other agencies. They are loud and kind of uncomfortable to fly in.

Have to play Ride of the valkyries in the background when looking at the poster. :smiley:

6 Likes

Are you kidding! Fortunate Son by Creedence Clearwater! Hueys are Vietnam war through and through!

Nice poster though!:yum:

1 Like

Touche. :wink: CCR would definitely play awesome background music for the Huey.

The US Air Force is still flying them. A few decades ago I got a chance to fly a bunch on them. A lot of fun sitting in the back.

Make Love Not War
Inspired by the poster of the movie
with alternative protagonists
Pure entry - Blender 2.79

7 Likes

Hello,
This is my OPEN NON-COMPETING entry for this week.
Only Kurtz is made with makehuman. Cycles 256s.

6 Likes

Since there is no way for me to go with my original idea of “Alpaca Lips Now” I just threw this non-competing entry animated gif together.

“Global Apocalypse” Compositing was done in Hitfilm Pro

ApocalypseWorld

4 Likes

Chants, Circles, Chaos

Open entry. Sorceress character base created with MakeHuman, castle wall texture from TextureHaven.com, all other textures are procedural. Cycles 256 samples + denoising, all works done in Blender.

I think I can also add ‘Cthulhu’ on the title since it rhymes too and still fit the image… :laughing:
My first idea was meteor rain, btw.

6 Likes

:wink:

4 Likes

"3…2…1… Smoothie Time!"

non-competing (pure), cycles (128 samples + denoising)

8 Likes

Hi guys,

Love the theme! Immediately wanted to take a non human perspective on the apocalypse and wanted to focus on the human role in this. Normally it’s aliens coming to earth but maybe its us all along. Not sure if I will finish on time because I haven’t done anything with underwater scenes before but i’m gonna try :stuck_out_tongue:

If anyone has some ideas for doing the water + bubbles + plankton floating in the water feel free to jump in cause I am just trying stuff and haven’t gotten it right yet.

This is my in progress scene:

It’s just the main characters + simple gradient bg with nodes

To do:

Water+floating stuff and plastics
ground particles
lighting
squid stuck in plastic bag for background
Fins of main characters

_Not going to make it :frowning: _

5 Likes

“Calculating survival chance: 0%” - That’s the quote of the week. :smiley:

2 Likes

sounds like a Queen song :wink:

1 Like

fish out of water

12 Likes

Lovely stuff already. Working on something myself for this. Been a few weeks since I’ve entered.

Pure Cycles (1000 samples) - “Road Closed”

Trying to learn some basics about lighting and making a decent looking render, so just a simple model but made from scratch using good searches for “road block” etc… (going with a very mild view of the apocalypse - roads would be closed I suppose :smile:)

2 Likes

Well Gang, here be my entry for this week. I call it “Zombie Apocalypse…Now”. It’s an open entry, zombies
were made in MakeHuman. Posed in Blender. Render in Blender Render.

Some one had to do Zombies. LOL

3 Likes

A lot of good stuff Going On. So i saw The challenge Was Apocalypse now So I came Up with This Concept.

3 Likes

You Can’t Kill a Dead Man

Pure entry. Numbers on the numpad and text were made with Inkscape, the rest was made with Blender using procedural textures.

This is based on a system from the Soviet Union called “Dead Man”. It was supposed to launch a counter attack in the event that high ranking officials were killed in a surprise attack.

Old version

6 Likes

The Last Messenger

Pure - Blender 2.80 - Cycles - 200 samples.

Hi everyone!

The theme for this week is very interesting. I’m looking forward to seeing your entries!

2 Likes

It’s simple, but it’s well made. The lighting is perfect.