Challenge #817 (15/02/19) Entries CLOSED

Hi guys,

This is my pure entry “Bee the first”

Models, textures all from yesterday except grass+small flowers from grasswald. Did a quick bigger flower which turned out alright and the bee’s were fun to make :slight_smile:. The hdri is from hdri haven. Added some mist in compositing.

regards

rens

7 Likes

Or a Mexican standoff… :cowboy_hat_face::gun::mexico:

Thanks, I put in a few hours tonight in trying to texture the truck with rust, but I haven’t ever really unwrapped and mapped something so it was a bit of an epic fail. After seeing skadoosh’s entry I think I may spend some time in substance painter for the next weekend compo and try to focus on that!

1 Like

Here my entry: Pure EEVEE
Title, Duel

1 Like

You should give it a try. There is a tutorial on YT how to use it for blender.

Some tips:
Spend more time on UV unwraping ( don’t be me :smile: )
Give name to materials (easier to set up them later in blender)

It’s really fun to play with. Can’t wait to see your truck textured :slight_smile:

1 Like

Eye candy. Would love to play around with a .exr with the AO pass enabled of this composition… Just lovely,.

2 Likes

Come to think of it, how nice would it be if we introduce a additional (monthly) challenge called Lighting & POV or something similar.

At first participants will submit a render of a scene created by themselves. By voting we choose a winner. Then the winner will provide the .blend of his entry with all lamps/emmisives + camera removed from the scene. Participants use that .blend to give it the lighting & camera perspective of his liking and submit a render. Then there will be another voting round to find out who made the most appealing composition…

The winner submits a render + the .blend for the next challenge.

4 Likes

Hey

This a NON PARTICIPATING POST.

I don’t have free time to participate, but the theme reminded me about this old render I made 4 or 5 years ago. I was doing my first tests with the release of hair rendering on cycles.

Still some hours to go so… It could inspire some people ^^

See you ++
Tricotou

6 Likes

Non-competing entry
Meet me outside, we need to duel!

There are so many errors with this one but I didn’t had time to finish the texturing and ligthing.
An HDRI from Haven was used for the background and photos where used for the wood textures. The models are mine.

3 Likes

nice work!

1 Like

Nice! This actually reminds me of a piece I did years ago in the 2.3 days. I was just learning about reflections and so I made a chessboard pattern in black and white, added two pawns, and a giant sphere. I made them all reflective a bit then added four “walls” that were pure mirrors and had them reflect the scene into infinity. I wish I could find a render of it. It was pretty cool (I thought at the time)

I would love to see that, Chris.

Here ya go
Image0240.exr (3.1 MB)
AO0240.exr (797.8 KB)

I had to reduce the resolution though. At 1080p the file had 58MB. oO
Also, I hope I did it correctly, never used EXR before.

And thanks for the comment!

Thx, Millani. What format do you normally use?

Uhh… jpg. :stuck_out_tongue:

Blood Ballet
Pure entry
Cycles - 1000 samples

Loved working on this. I’ll probably revisit this and pimp it. I’d love to do some more painting and maybe try and fix the laces. I’d also like to add some sort of stitching to it.

3 Likes

.exr is 32 bit (HDR). When you import it in to Photoshop you have a full high dynamic range file to work with. Here you can see the difference:

Its not super obvious with only two main colors, but please try it yourself with a nice colorful render.

2 Likes

I see. Well, I actually use Blender’s compositor for post-processing, so I also get the full dynamic range.

I’m curious to see what you’ll do with it. :slight_smile:

True that, exporting exr only benefits if you do some post processing in third party software. I’m gonna play with it tomorrow and if I get a satisfying result I will sure share it with you. Thx again!

btw, I love the compositor within Blender, but the Camera Raw Filter is so much more powerful

Posting this here instead of in the voting thread so it doesn’t change votes or anything. I started looking at my render and really wasn’t happy with the fact I set the camera in a position that chopped off the base of the stand and hid some of the powder cloth so I did another rendering with a better camera angle.

3 Likes