• Lalaland
  • BlenderRens
  • Nitram_2000
  • fcharr
  • 3dnotguru
  • skadoosh
  • FlyingBanana

0 voters

After 2 days of voting, a winner is declared: The voting will close on: Wed, Feb 20, 2019 11:00 PM.
The winner picks the theme for next week.

If the winner doesn’t supply a theme before Thursday 22:30 GMT, the organizer will select the theme. In this case, the winner’s theme will be used the next time we are lacking a theme on Thursday 22:30 GMT. :slight_smile:

Having selected the theme, the winner will not be eligible to enter that week. They may however still submit an image, but it won’t be included in the voting.

This week’s winner:
ba-feature-20190222-wc

Pure Entries

Mr_Lobo1: Dragon deck VS Machine deck

MatthewK: Dueling Banjos

purbosky: Settling Disputes - Gunboat Method

didierv: Calculator vs Abacus

RayVelcoro: Glass

Millani: Bichromatic Duel

kaidoe: Front_Small

Peetie: Duel

Lalaland: Duel in space

BlenderRens: Bee the first

Nitram_2000: Blood Ballet

Open Entries

fcharr: The Narwhal Twins

(Open entry, made using an unpublished project, done in EEVEE 1000 samples.)

3dnotguru: Raging bull

(Makehuman characters)

skadoosh: Pokemon Master

(post process in Lightroom and textures made in Substance Painter)

FlyingBanana: The Retired Dueling Pistol

Non-competing Entries

joshwinkler3d: Duel6

RobertT: BATTLE OF THE BARYONIC (ANTIMATTER VS. MATTER)

Helge: UV-Flashlight

OLG: Swan Song - Dragon Duel

Maelys031: Meet me outside, we need to duel!

(Nitram_2000) #2

Easily the highest caliber of entries I’ve seen for one theme.

Excellent work folks.

(OLG) #3

Guys, amazing entries from all.

(FlyingBanana) #4

Awesome jobs this challenge everyone. Looks like the banjos are off to the lead.

(RayVelcoro) #5

Awesome entries indeed!

Millani, skadoosh & FlyingBanana got my votes, job wel done, guys!

Also like Calculator vs Abacus by didierv. It could use a somewhat more sophisticated lighting tough.

(g6b0r) #6

The dynamics/momentum in Lalaland’s entry got me this time.
But it was hard to pick one from the nice and original entries, as usual…

(FlyingBanana) #7

Now the lime strawberry smoothie mix is in the lead. Been a few lead changes in this voting duel. Again, awesome stuff everyone!

(Francisco Charrua) #8

almost like there’s some kind of fight going on :wink:

(didierv) #10

You’re right. I’m not good at lighting. It’s easier to find tutorials about meshes and materials. Any hints?

(skadoosh) #11

Thank you :smile:

(RayVelcoro) #12

This 7-part serie will help a bit;

(icyou520) #13

To be honest, I would watch photography lighting tutorials. Once you get to the lighting phase of the project, Blender doesn’t matter so much anymore, you need to turn into a photographer. Learn how to light people and how its different from lighting products. I was an assistant photographer for a L’oreal campaign about 5 years ago, and the main photographer would spend HOURS just getting the lights to hit and reflect the product perfectly. You need to have this same mindset when lighting your scene.

(sundialsvc4) #14

The abacus is spectacular. The nearby calculator, not so much.

(FlyingBanana) #15

Just a quick crude example of how the same simple scene takes on different looks with 6 different types of lighting. Just a note the Emission Planes are using Blackbodies.

Also might check out the Gleb Alexandrov 7 different types of light. He always has some awesome lighting schemes in his works he does.

(Helge) #16

And… the winner of Weekend Challenge 817 with votes from 29.5% of the voters is… MatthewK!
As we have a tie between entries (MatthewK, Millani), the earliest submitted entry wins.

Here’s to all the great participators…

Dueling Banjos

(icyou520) #17

Mr. Lobo1: Dragon Deck VS machine Deck

Looks like a fun game (I have never understood these card games). Nice job with the texturing, although its hard to focus on one thing. Maybe make a stack of cards and have a more close up shot of that with all the other cards in the background with a nice DOF.

MatthewK: Dueling Banjos

You got one of my votes. I really like this image. I think it would make a great “battle of the bands” poster/flyer. Nothing I would change. Great job. Congrats on win!

Purbosky: Settling Disputes

Wow I thought things on Earth were going crazy but it looks like space has its problems too. Nice image. I know it would take your pure entry to open, but I would photobash some small flames and explosions on the spaceships with a nice lens flare off to the side of the screen. Just for a little extra pizzazz.

Didierv: Calculator vs. Abacus

You almost got one of my votes (such a great idea). Nice concept and render. I have no clue how to use it, but is 1,337 showing on the Abacus? Since you mentioned lighting in the thread here is what I would do. Model a nice desk lamp and put it slightly off screen, Turn off all your lights in the scene and just use a spot light coming from your desk lamp. Maybe you can add in a dark HDRI and set it to .2 or so just to get some nice reflections but not over power the desk lamp.

RayVelcoro: Glass

You got one of my votes. I know this is a simple set up and scene, but executed very well. I love the colors, reflections and your glass shader. Very cool image. Did you just use an HDRI or did you add in some lights also?

Milani: Bichromatic Duel

Was this done with FLIP, Mantaflow, or Blenders built in sim? It looks like two people are about to form. I think the only change I would like to see with this image is some strong DOF. Other than that, nice perspective.

Kaido: Front Small

Nice modeling, I would really like to see this finished. Is this the truck from the movie DUEL? That’s a creepy movie.

Peetie: Duel

Is that a virus fighting with a healthy DNA strand? Nice shaders, I think some slight translucency would be nice with a foggy dark blue/green background. Good Job.

LAlalandL: Duel in space.

You got one of my votes. I really like this image. Great modeling and compositing. I feel the energy from the image. There is only one thing that is really bothering me with this image. That lens flare on the planet needs to go, it looks real fake and distracts from the image. I would still use a lens flare, but try to find a better looking one. Other than that awesome image.

BlenderRens: Bee the first

Great image. I really like the volumetrics and the faded out background. Great job. Nice job with the fur. I Fell the camera could come down a little, I would like to see a little lower and maybe have some grass/plants in the fore ground blurred out with a strong DOF. Not much going on above the bees so that can be cropped out. Nice fun picture.

Nitram_2000:

Nice modeling job with the gloves. I feel the grey background doesn’t contrast the gloves very well. I would throw a back light on the gloves to give it some depth and maybe have a blurred out pic of a gym in the background or put the gloves in a locker or something. Good job.

Fcharr: The Narwhal Twins

Oh My that looks like a very futuristic battle. Like 2 gods fighting with lightsabers. It shows you did this in Eevee with 1000 samples!? Is this correct. I see noise so I am thinking it was rendered in Cycles, if it was rendered in Eevee I fell like 1000 samples is overkill. I don’t believe I have gone over 128 samples in Eevee yet.

3dnotguru: Raging Bull

Very cool image. Not much I would change. I know this is easier said than done, but I would really up the samples on this image by a lot so the denoiser doesn’t destroy the image as much as it has. Also maybe add more people shadows in the background just to make it looks more exciting. Very hard to get a clean render with this scene. You did a great job. Eevee might work well with this scene.

Skadoosh: Pokemon Master

Awesome image, great job on the all around scale of your image. The texturing looks really good and I even like the blown out highlights in the background. Not much I would change, good job.

Flying Banana: Retired Dueling Pistol

Great Job Flying Banana, all around great render, texturing, and perspective. I don’t think I would change anything about this image. One of your best.

Joshwinkler3d: Duel6

Haha that nose is ridiculous, I love it. If you just throw some nice shaders on the fish in some murky water that is hard to see the model I think this would be a cool scene.

RobertT: Battle of the baryonic

Very cool image. Was this one done mostly in the compositor or the actual 3D window? I still wonder if there is more Matter or ANTI matter in the universe.

Helge: UV-Flashlight

Seriously Helge, I think you should create a comic book or something similar. You have a real knack for characters and bringing their personalities to life. I could only imagine what you would come up with if you spent months on 1 scene. What is that purple stuff on the wall? Was the guy hugging it all crazy or something?

OLG: Swan Song

Great modeling of the dragon, I like the fire of danger in his eyes. The lighting seems a little flat to me. I would adjust the lighting some but other than that good job.

Maelys031: Meet outside

This would have got one of my votes. I really like this image. It has a great mood to it and I feel like this bird is not putting up with anybody’s ish! I would just brighten up the image slightly and give a slight color to his beak and feet but real subtle. Other than that I think you did a really good job.

Nice job everyone, I am hoping I can get an image submitted this week. I am in the process of moving and I also have a trip to Spain next week. So things are a little crazy for me right now.

(FlyingBanana) #18

Wow!!! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: a whole 3 votes separated the top 5. Awesome job everyone. Think everyone is a winner on this one. Congrats to @MatthewK and @Millani

(FlyingBanana) #19

@icyou520 Thank you very much for the kind words. :slight_smile: sometimes I do decent stuff… when the moon and all the stars align just right and pigs start flying around in the land of OZ hehehe

(OLG) #20

Congrats @MatthewK and @Millani. Awesome job.

@icyou520, thank you for the feedback. Always a lot of fun to read. Totally agree with you. Re-rendered with different camera views and lighting and pretty much all a ton better than what I first posted. :slight_smile:

(icyou520) #21

I love this image. It looks a lot more menacing.