Challenge #819 (01/03/19) Entries CLOSED

Theme #819 for Friday 1st of March 2019 is:

Still Life

Entry closes on Monday, 22:30 GMT (Mon, Mar 4, 2019 10:30 PM)

“There are two main goals for these contests: Fun and Glory.
Fun: You get only 4 days to create a cool image, based on the theme for the week.
Glory: After 2 days of voting, a winner is declared. The winner picks the theme for next week.”

Please remember to state if your entry is pure, open or non-competing.
For details please check out the: CHALLENGE RULES

Btw.: Comments are welcome in both threads (entries/voting). Have fun! :slight_smile:

Here is my pure entry,
I managed to do a rigid body sim (for the movement) and a fluid sim for the water. The paint style was made with one paint brush image from the internet. 500 samples.

Don’t throw the pepper!

Hope you enjoy the style

4 Likes

Default Art

Pure, continuing last weeks theme using default cube - this time accompanied by default sphere.

WIP - Playing around with painterly tests (with some help from Google) This was done using the compositor, the only thing outside of blender is an imported grunge texture.

@Maelys031 You may be able to fake liquid with metaballs, I think? I’m referencing

which @Millani used for this entry:

4 Likes

@Maelys031 I agree with @joshwinkler3d metaballs work quite nicely for liquid especially since it is not animated, they will also be easier to work with than tweaking your brain and settings out with a fluid sim as you would need a large enough domain to encompass the whole simulation area and objects that it will come in contact with. Just reference some spill images and connect some metaballs till you get a similar look, add your material and tada.

1 Like

Low-Poly Still Life
Pure, Competing

Blender 2.79 Cycles + Compositor

7 Likes

Think im going to take a break, if I do get something decent done I will post something but think I am just going to spend the time tinkering around in 2.8 Filmer and try to get my superhero ported over to Hitfilm Pro. So I am just going to post a “Non Entry” that I did a while back

3 Likes

Nice Theme!

Got something going already, as usual not sure if it will stick. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi all, long time lurker here :slight_smile: enjoying all your works each week. I was experimenting with clothes nowadays and I decided to give this theme a try.

WIP - 2.80 / Cycles

By the way I think challenge rules page needs a really good update, don’t you think? It’s too long as it’s right now in my opininon with lots of typos and old infos.

6 Likes

Im pretty happy with it. I still want to do a lot to it, but if i don’t have time this will be my entry

“Apple Life”
Pure

Apple material is made without any textures
Ground, wall, and imperfections on knife are textures from Poliigon

@edit
By mistake i responded to @filibis instead to thread, I hope it’s not a problem :smiley:

Also please help me decide guys, up or down?

5 Likes

Actually there has been an attempt to do that before (mainly on the pure/open categorization), but kinda loosing momentum then. Some parts have been updated though.

Setting aside the never-ending pure/open debate, would like to see some points like the size limit and allowable types (GIF or even vids) to be updated to encourage more entries. Introducing one or two small changes at a time to the rules should be more acceptable to all. :slight_smile:

My entry for the Sill Life competition. Textures from textures.com
Rendered in Cycles, 2.8.

Pure Entry

9 Likes

Hey @purbosky , not sure who are the moderators here but I think rules page need to be simplified for sure. I had a brief look at that topic you shared and people say more or less same thing. It should be more newcomer friendly/inclusive.

No worries :slight_smile:
I think below image looks scarier (good if you’re after it) and neat.

I like that you see more of the tiles in the first image the bump is a bit heavy on the apples i would decrease that a bit and then a slightly thicker steel :slight_smile: nice entry!

Eggs and Bananas

Pure entry, 1000 samples, close call!

Epic entries all across the sky! The topic may as well have been Renaissance.

1 Like

Classic Still Life Image

Non-competing

Cycels, 3000 samples, filmic, cloth physics, buiilt in 2.79 and rendered in 2.8 for speed. Bokah Image filters post processed. My focus on learning this week was SSS.

I am traveling this week so didn’t have any time to model so threw a few models from my library together.

2 Likes

Alright this is my “Pure Entry” Filmic used and all procedural material/textures Calling this one…

" Flying Banana 78’ "

4 Likes

Hello,
This is my PURE entry.
Cycles 1024s. Tree made with sapling + modelling + lot of physics simulation nightmares.

9 Likes

this was fun. I took inspiration from @joshwinkler3d on using the compositor to add some grunge to the image. I think it made it even more interesting. Pure blender on everything but the grunge overlay image.

5 Likes

wine and cheese pearing?

Useless Gadgets

Non-competing (pure). Everything made in Blender, only procedural textures.

Things will be a bit hard for me the next couple of weeks. I only got a tablet with no mouse or numpad. At least I have a touchscreen, but it was already fairly complicated to make this image.
I tried Blender 2.8 for this since it is more touch-friendly, but it’s still a bit buggy; it crashed dozens of times on me. I’ll try to concentrate on node-madness next week.

3 Likes