• Green3d
  • Komojo
  • fcharr
  • Olivitess
  • JohnMalcolm1970
  • purbosky
  • wallacemarino

0 voters

After 2 days of voting, a winner is declared: The voting will close on: Wed, Mar 6, 2019 11:00 PM.
The winner picks the theme for next week.

If the winner doesn’t supply a theme before Thursday 22:30 GMT, the organizer will select the theme. In this case, the winner’s theme will be used the next time we are lacking a theme on Thursday 22:30 GMT. :slight_smile:

Having selected the theme, the winner will not be eligible to enter that week. They may however still submit an image, but it won’t be included in the voting.

Pure Entries

unyxium: Low-Poly Still Life

skadoosh: Apple Life

Izac_Peterson: StillLife

Maelys031: Don’t throw the pepper!

3dnotguru: still

MatthewK: Still_Life_MK_2

Photox: Club Mango

didierv: Witchcraft

atekdigital: Still life

Solak: American Way of Still Life !

PyBlend: Still Life?

filibis: Aegean Life

joshwinkler3d: Default Art

Logical_Mind_Develop: 0001

FlyingBanana: Flying Banana 78’

RayVelcoro: Still Life

Green3d: After-Work Personal Time

Komojo: Frozen Dinosaur

fcharr: Eggs and Bananas

Olivitess: StillLife

Open Entries

JohnMalcolm1970: still_life

(I used Substance Painter for some of the texturing.)

purbosky: Dialogue

(Open entry, using textures from TextureHaven.com for the table and wall, subtle HDRI background from HDRIhaven.com. )

wallacemarino: StillLife_WC

(The skull and heart pendant models were appended from other projects, otherwise it’s all new and original.)

Non-competing Entries

OLG: Classic Still Life Image

Millani: Useless Gadgets

Helge: Underground

parclite: Fruit Bowl

RobertT: ARTIFACTS

didli: nature morte

The week everyone turned into Leonardo Da Vinci

5 Likes

So going by the 2019 record from the last voting thread - this sets the record for most entries at 29 and second for competing at 23.

That’s right. Last time we had 29 entries was September 2018 (#796 “3D Typography”). :slight_smile:
With exactly the same numbers as this time: 29 entries, (23 competing / 6 non competing)

1 Like

And looking at that, it looks like @Photox is going to take the lead again :slightly_smiling_face:

1. 29 entries (23 comp+6 non) again
  2. @Photox win again
  3. 819 - 796 = 23 (number of competing entries)

Anyone else found other ‘coincidence’ … ?

2 Likes

23 - definitely no coincidence! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Photox won with 47% and currently sits on 43% - maybe if the gap closes?

or 46 2(wins)x23=46 :scream:

1 Like

i Love that Wtichcraft Render. very fun to create.

My view on some selected entries (I guess old habits die hard):

skadoosh: The contrast between the red apples and the gray background is very pleasing. The apples look almost rotten because of the bump map, but maybe that is intentional. One thing that bothers me is how the knife has lost its tip. Be more careful with your kitchenware, man!

Izac_peterson: This looks like something from the middle ages. The candle light is soothing, making me feel like in a dark castle. The metals look very believeable, but I would never put candles directly on top of cloth (you’ll never get the wax off).

3dnotguru: Sometimes things don’t go as planned and break. Still, life goes on. At least it did for this plant! The little grains were a nice touch. I noticed that the vase is a big square-ish where it is broken. I sometimes use the knife tool to manually cut pieces with a more organic shape.

MatthewK: The painterly effect looks very nice. Also the pears are pearfect (sorry). Some water droplets near the wine would’ve been a nice touch, but I know it can be rather annoying to make those.

Photox: Lovely idea. That ant with sunglasses drinking mango juice was the cherry of the cake. The mango looks really authentic, and the water droplets look very natural. The saturated colours of the mango made it standout nicely from the background.

didierv: Not sure if it is a side-effect of all halloween goodies, but those eyes look very tasty, and the sticks very crunchy. The shadows look a bit too hard, I would’ve used a larger light source (and maybe further away, the front of the table is shining a bit too much).

atekdigital: Airplane food! None of those fancy grapes and cheese from the Renaissance, just barely enough so you don’t die of hunger! The tray and cloth look very nice, but the blur effect makes this look really tiny.

joshwinkler3d: Loved that painterly effect. The colours are also very pleasant. Did you just use the compositor for the effect, or did you use the render as an image texture?

FlyingBanana: Beautiful lighting, very surreal background. Is it banana liquor on that bottle? :slight_smile:

Komojo: Life staying still, quite literally! Great work on the model and the pose, the dino seems to be sleeping.

JohnMalcom1970: This seems to come directly out of a painting. The teapot looks awesome, and so do the glasses. I find it interesting how you added some variety to the image by flipping the glasses and filling only one of them. Beats modelling three glasses! One thing: The glass seems to be filled to the very bottom. Is this an effect due to refraction? I would assume the handle would not be hollow, but then, I don’t drink on such fancy glasses.

purbosky: I liked how you hinted about a dialogue happening outside the scene. It must be between very important people, seeing how the cups look so expensive! The lighting is very beautiful.

Helge: Am I the only one seeing a pumpkin head smilling at me? I loved the stone material, it looks very porous and eroded.

RobertT: The very detailed cups and vases ressemble tall buildings in a city. The subtle variations in colour are also very beautiful.

(if anyone else feel commenting, don’t let me stop you :D)

3 Likes

Cheers. I had assumed that about those glasses myself, and modeled them that way first, but I looked at more examples of them and they did seem to have liquid down into the “stem” part. Wikipedia does seem to confirm Rummer/Römer/Roemer (and the similar Berkemeyer) drinking glasses had hollow bases. I’m sure if you had one from the period it would be worth a wee bit of cash :slight_smile:

@Millani thank you for the comments, didn’t think anyone was going to try and tackle it with this many entries. :slight_smile: and yes it was just something I figured I would use as a label and stay all original without using anything other than a plane and some text and a nod to my nickname and birth year. Had I to add to this I would have liked to add additional details to the banana colorings.

I can’t help but wonder what is the actual container of the mango for Photox’s work. There’s probably a whole story there for this big … metallic … thingy ? ^^’
Also I really liked filibis’s work : a sense of the simple things in this warm picture which reminds me of Greece, Portugal or some regions south to France.

1 Like

And… the winner of Weekend Challenge 819 with votes from 44.4% of the voters is… Photox!
Here’s to all the great participators…

Club Mango

4 Likes

Congrats to the winner. Those water droplets are cool and the image itself tells a story.

I’m off to count how many pieces of fruit were included in all images together and see if there is some numerological significance :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

@Photox congrats on the win and awesome render/entry ! I almost lost my rind when I seen your entry and I figure the one on top is quite the melon baller.

1 Like

Thanks Millani! My kids saw the face, too. This must be one charming pile of dirt. :wink:

Thanks @Millani - I didn’t expect feedback with the number of entries.

I did it mostly in the compositor, using the tutorial below. I configured things to work with my scene, added some extra nodes, and I handled the textures a bit differently. I also added noise to the some of the surfaces to add extra variance in colour.

This is my setup:

Tutorial:

The displace node was a new one for me, it helped with the jagged edges. I’m curious if there is a way to animate the variance in the effect for an animation.

2 Likes

@Photox, congrats on a beautiful render and the win.

1 Like