Challenge #820 (08/03/19) Entries CLOSED

Theme #820 for Friday 8th of March 2019 is:

Galaxies, stars, planets and spacecraft

Entry closes on Monday, 22:30 GMT (Mon, Mar 11, 2019 10:30 PM)

“There are two main goals for these contests: Fun and Glory.
Fun: You get only 4 days to create a cool image, based on the theme for the week.
Glory: After 2 days of voting, a winner is declared. The winner picks the theme for next week.”

Please remember to state if your entry is pure, open or non-competing.
For details please check out the: CHALLENGE RULES

Btw.: Comments are welcome in both threads (entries/voting). Have fun! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Conveniently, I have been working on a procedural planet generator at the moment. I’m sure I can set up something for this quite easily, maybe it will help the development of it as well.

Edit: Also, I was working on a spaceship too! What a coincidence!

1 Like

Yikes. Four themes in a weekend? :laughing:

1 Like

Think I’m gonna call this one Galaxies and Spacecraft :wink:

Woohoo! I just got a new computer so I can put it through its paces. There will be explosions.

Not an Entry

5 Likes

Ok next time I post an entry and change my mind someone just slap me please. Going to work on some little details and round out some rough edges but for the most part this is done. Going with this as an “Open Entry”

“Galactic Storage Services”

6 Likes

Great theme, tons of action coming up for sure!

screw the gif since its such a pita embedding them nowadays. A static entry it is, pure.

Mobile Galaxies

7 Likes

The Next Frontier

Pure entry, 1000 samples.

Question: These large scenes of mine are becoming a little difficult to deal with. My Ryzen 7 1800X has no problem rendering my work, however, I feel my NVIDEA 1050Ti may not be up to the task of handling the viewport portion of my work. Any GPU suggestions?

3 Likes

“Universe of My Own”
Competing, Pure, Cycles 512 Samples, Minor Post-Processing in Blender

This was super fun, and I really like how it turned out. :grin:

Original post:
WIP

I like how my entry is coming along this week. :smile:

5 Likes

COOL! purple is my favorite color

I called it flight of the Purple squadron. :slight_smile:

Trip around the Galaxy

Non Competing

Blender 2.79.7, Cycles, 3000 samples, rendered at 4k, filmic, generate plates add-on ($), Kitops add-on ($), Space Nebula Node Group by Mark Kingsnorth, Blackhole shader by Gleb Alexandrov, Sun model heavily modified from https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3FTjAoLBC00HHK5cSSL7kA.

Awesome theme and a lot of fun to make. Went in a different direction than I initially thought. Recommendations on changes always welcome.

Light Cruiser Tiger class
Displacement: 10,000 Tons
Complement of 20: 15 Sailors and 5 Marines.
Primary Weapons: 3 light Railguns
Secondary Weapons: laser self defense system
Hyperspace capability: Wormhole generator

New computer is really fast but I am still getting the feel for it. Beats my old computer like a mountain gorilla beating a chihuahua puppy.

Post Script: Though happy with the ship I was not too happy with the composition. Went back and tried something different. Tons happier. Reminds me of the old scifi paperback book covers.

Post Post Script: I did forget to mention the gas planet is procedurally done. Thanks to the generosity of Jean-Grégoire Malvoisin for the shader: https://akikun.wordpress.com/how-to-make-a-procedural-gas-giant/

Used Terrain generator shader Pro ($).

New version.

No longer newest version.

Old version.

5 Likes

Hello,
This is my PURE entry “Where the wild rose grow” :wink:
Cycles 756s.
Everything made with blender. Only planet ground/grass texture was painted from photos.

5 Likes

Titel: Assets in Space
Pure Eevee

Gave my self an extra challenge by giving myself One hour the time. But the result was pretty bad and had to give myself 15 minutes extra to fix some lighting and colormanagement. Still not super, but I had the bussiest our since months I believe. And now graving for a coffee.
Update: added a bit more details and made a short animation later:

March_09_small

13 Likes

i found a way to use the particle system in 2.79 to make random multiple explosions It was fun seeing all of them in one scene like 30 explosions or so of them at once I was like :scream: :drooling_face:

you have to use weight paint, waves smoke emitt for the canvas and paint, then use the practical system for the paint all in a smoke domain
when the particals hit the canvas it creates explosins

there is a little more to it though have to make a tut for it

this is it the, problem is the dp-weight for the vertex groupyou can create it in weight paint

4 Likes

Scarlet Sector

-OLD-

Open entry, nebula background made with GIMP, everything else is procedural in Blender. Rendered with Cycles 256 samples + denoising and compositing.

5 Likes

“The Universal Painter”

non-competing (pure), cycles (512 samples + denoising)

8 Likes

Thank you. :star_struck: That is really cool. I will definitely have to play with it. I haven’t played with dynamic paint a whole lot up to this point.

For now I just added some particle explosions to my image. I rendered the image in different layers so its really easy to modify/update.

“Planet Construction”
Competing, Pure

I was inspired by The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy and the Death Star to create a planet that is partially constructed. The planet and atmosphere shading was adapted from Gleb Alexandrov’s Space VFX series.

13 Likes

Voyager 1
Pure entry

Made with Blender 2.79

Voyager 1 was the first human spacecraft to reach the heliopause. It is still sending data to earth.

5 Likes