• Maelys031
  • Komojo
  • bluberri
  • Meta_Ridley
  • didli
  • Gcs_dev
  • 3dnotguru

0 voters

After 2 days of voting, a winner is declared: The voting will close on: Wed, Mar 20, 2019 11:00 PM.
The winner picks the theme for next week.

If the winner doesn’t supply a theme before Thursday 22:30 GMT, the organizer will select the theme. In this case, the winner’s theme will be used the next time we are lacking a theme on Thursday 22:30 GMT. :slight_smile:

Having selected the theme, the winner will not be eligible to enter that week. They may however still submit an image, but it won’t be included in the voting.

This week’s winner:
ba-feature-20190322-wc

Pure Entries

icyou520: Sand Castle

Millani: Desert of Lost Souls

MatthewK: Sand_MK

RayVelcoro: wip1

LeighAH: Pyramid_f

Peetie: The Planet of the SandPlants

ar2: sand190315a

Izac_Peterson: SandCaslte

domosk: Abandoned battleground

VeinCore: Happy Birthday Lord Vader

Maxime: The collapse

skadoosh: Still going

fdo: Desert

Photox: Shore Bird

gabrielg1976: sandcontest

didierv: Urbanization

BlenderRens: Warrior in the sand

fcharr: Filled

ericthered: Enter Sandman

benla: Ozymandias

purbosky: Sand Machine

FlyingBanana: To Flea or not To Flea

joshwinkler3d: Desert Haul

Maelys031: Our White Sand Falling From The Sky

Komojo: All The Time You Have

bluberri: Sand Cats

Meta_Ridley: AreiaNoMicroscopio2

didli: The Sand Castle Of Time

Gcs_dev: A sandy awakening

Open Entries

3dnotguru: Sandstorm

Non-competing Entries

joshwinkler3d: Desert

OLG: Sand Tiger Shark

Helge: Sandorm

RobertT: SANDSTONE

parclite: Sandblasting

1 Like

(FlyingBanana) #2

Awesome job everyone!

3 Likes

(Francisco Charrua) #3

another tough choice week!

0 Likes

(Nitram_2000) #4

I said it before, and I’ll say it again, the level of the WC is amazing. Simply splendid work folks!

1 Like

(mediaklan) #5

Really tough to choose. Great challenge again !

0 Likes

(Meta Ridley) #6

Theme Suggestion:

An emotion through an abstract art

Edit:

Really really good jobs. I believe I voted for the top three.

0 Likes

(Meta Ridley) #7

When I did the first post I was really messing around. But now, does this disqualify me?

0 Likes

(Mateusz) #8

I’m under @Maxime, somebody will missclick ahaha.

Great work everyone, too much to choose from. It’s getting harder every week :smile:

3 Likes

Well, we all saw this coming. Still, some fantastic artwork here, what a great group of artist to compete with.

2 Likes

(Midnightcpu) #10

sorry i missed out on this one guys got a little occupied at home will try for this coming week been getting ready to enter a short film contest, live action mixed with cg im just waiting for it to start when ever that is :smile:
i’m jumping up and down like a kid on candy waiting for it :yum::drooling_face::crazy_face:

good work everyone i’m having a brain fart trying to decide :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::crazy_face:

1 Like

(Helge) #11

And… the winner of Weekend Challenge 821 with votes from 73% of the voters is… Maxime!
Here’s to all the great participators…

The collapse

8 Likes

(Francisco Charrua) #12

I voted for Maxime out of pure principle: I love procedural blender. Never thought the entry would win by this much! Gratz @Maxime :slight_smile:

0 Likes

(FlyingBanana) #13

Congrats @Maxime figured it was going to be a landslide win. Awesome job on nailing the theme down.

0 Likes

(Peetie) #14

@Maxime
It’s keeps on catching my attention.
I just opened my eyes and learned from it that it’s not only about knowing how Blender works, but there must be also an artist behind (or in front pushing) the buttons.

1 Like

Fantastic work! Great job @Maxime, well deserved.

0 Likes

(OLG) #16

@Maxime, congrats on the win and an awesome render.

0 Likes

(joshwinkler3d) #17

Congrats @Maxime - I think that’s one of the most conclusive wins we’ve had, even before voting. I think everyone voted for your entry :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m surprised I got a vote - good job everyone.

The competition keeps getting bigger - 30 competing and 5 non-competing.

2 Likes

(Midnightcpu) #18

i liked it too I was thinking if you could have done actual sand people it would have been great :yum:

great work everyone and congrats to the winner :grinning:

0 Likes

(Avery) #19

I’m a little late to the party, but you should all know you’ve done an incredible job this week! Amazing art all around. :partying_face::clap:

0 Likes

(icyou520) #20

Sorry for doing this so late.

Icyou520 – Sand Castle

Ehh kind of a boring image and not really well done. Whats going on with the UV stretching? Sand Castle is sloppily put together. Try harder next time.

Millani – Desert of lost souls

I like the monotone coloring, and the perspective. Not sure what is happening in the hour glass though. I really like the pillars of the hour glass. Although I do feel like the scaling is off a little bit.

MatthewK – Sand_MK

I really like this image. You got one of my votes. I feel like it would make a perfect book cover. Great job.

RayVelcoro – Wip1

Nice clean render. I have been liking your checkerboard bg lately. Nice materials nice lighting, all around great job.

LeighAH – Pyramid_F

Simple yet very well done. I like the rocks buried in the sand. Nice touch. Looks like you have a slight color banding issues on the top of the image. Was this saved out as an EXR or composited in 16bpc?

Peetie – The Planet of the sandplants

Nice color and shading. This looks like it would be a fun level in a game to go exploring.

Ar2 – Sand 19…

You almost got one of my votes. I really like the idea and execution of this image. You just got edged out by a couple other entries. Great Job.

Izac_Peterson Sand Castle

This looks like a close up night version of my image. Except yours is actually good. Nice lighting with a subtle moon casting the light too. I like your sand material. Nice job.

Domosk – Abandoned Battlegroung

Oh my what is going on here!? Flying cars and birds everywhere, Instead of splatting bugs on the windshield it looks like birds might be a problem now. Nice shading and texturing, Good Composition my only critique would be, I don’t understand what is happening. Whats the story?

VeinCore – Happy Birthday

Please excuse my ignorance, I have never seen Star Wars so I don’t understand how this relates to sand, but I like it. I really like the red guards and the plasma beam thing. Did they buy him a sand castle and tablet for his birthday? Great touch with the confetti on the ground.

Maxime – The Collapse

This is such a brilliant image. You got one of my votes. This is expertly done, I tried my best to be harsh with this one and find something wrong. Alas I can’t. Perfect Image. Congrats on the win.

Skadoosh – Still Going

Beautiful job. Nice composition, shading and DOF, my only small nit pick is the scene is a little to dark for my taste but great job.

Fdo – desert

Nice entry. I really like the stuff you put in the sand, looks very good. I would expect to see some of the windows broken out of the phone booth but it looks very nice. The only thing I am not fond of is the buildings in the background., they look un naturally placed, Maybe a stronger DOF could easily fix that.

Photox – Shore Bird

I was afraid this was going to get lost in the mix of the other entries. Although I did NOT vote for this one I think it rightfully deserves 2nd place. This is a beautiful image. I wouldn’t change a thing. Great Job.

Gabrielg1976 – Sand Contest

Nice job with the texturing and materials, although I have no clue what is going on or what I am even looking at.

Didierv – urbanization

I must admit when voting, I quickly skimmed past this one because it really didn’t catch my eye. However now that I am actually studying it for this review, this is an awesome image. Great idea and the modeling looks very good. A couple things I would change and then maybe throw it in your portfolio. Work on the glass a little more, maybe add a slight thickness to it, something looks off to me. Then put in on a bookshelf or in a nicely lit study with a strong DOF. I feel the boring grey background hurts this image. Really nice job.

BlenderRens – Warrior in the sand

This is an awesome image. The only small change I would make is add some strings or fabric coming off of the spear (where the red things are) noting crazy just to add in a little detail and motion to the image. This image is much better than the votes it got, I think there were so many quality entries this one was overlooked. I really like it.

Fcharr- Filled

Nice color scheme. For some reason this reminds me of something I would see in Sponge Bob. Good Job.

Ericthered – Enter Sandman

I love this song and album. The sandman reminds me of the marshmallow head DJ. Now every time I see him I am going to think about this image.

Benla – Ozymandias

Very cool image. I like the coloring and the modeling. The only thing that feels off to me is the scaling. Other than that great job.

Purbosky – Sand Machine

I really like that portal, Something seems off with the sand around it though. It looks blurry while the portal is sharp. Good Job.

Flying Banana – To Flea

Nice job. With the modeling and texturing. Those are some mighty big fleas. I feel like the grains of sand should be at least have the size of the flea. I like the translucency look of the shell part. Nice touch.

Joshwinkler3d – Desert Haul

Nice job with the modeling and camera perspective. The only thing that looks off to me is the motion blur. The horn and the lights are blurry yet the window right under it is nice and sharp. My eye gets lead to different places. Not sure where to rest my eyes.

Maelys031 – Our white

Cool image. It almost looks like fractal noise. Good job.

Komojo – All the time

Awesome image, you got one of my votes. I look the idea and execution of this. The only thing that I would like to see changed is the clouds in the background. They look fake and I feel it distracts from the image. I would replace the sky and leave everything else as is. Great job.

Bluberri – Sand Cats

The more I look at this image the more I like it. Maybe I should of saved one of my votes for you. There is nothing I would change, awesome job.

Meta_Ridly – Areia No Micro

Nice shape and shading, although I have no clue what I am looking at? Is this sand under a microscope?

Didli – Sand castle

Nice concept and image. I like all your modeling, shading and perspective. The only thing throwing me off is the sand does not match color in the background. I would make your sand slightly more orange to fit in the image better. Nice Job.

Gcs_Dev – Sandy awaking

Nice DOF and shading, I really like the water. This looks very good although I feel there needs to be something to look at, if this was an actual photograph, why was this picture taken? What are you trying to show us?

3d notguru – Sandstorm

Cool image, I actually did an album cover for someone that was similar many years ago. Did you use the smoke sim? I would like to see more of a sandstorm over a city to give it more of an urgent feeling. Although it does look menacing it seems like everyone will be fine because its in the middle of nowhere.

Josh winkler – desert

Nice job. I love the contrast of the colors. This would be a cool painting.

OLG – Tiger Shark

Nice job with the vegetation swaying in the water, nice attention to detail. Good modeling and I like the murky water look.

Helge – SandORM?

Did we forget a “W” lol nice job That looks like a real worm. I like the nice subtle red of the worm. The pebbles were a nice touch to.

RobertT – Sandstone

Beautiful image. I think someone did a very similar picture in the finished work section. I believe it was featured (could be wrong).

Parclite – Sandblasting

I love the motion of this image. I also really like the way the rocks a creating shadows in the dust. The only thing that feel off is the ground doesn’t seem to match what the tires are kicking up. Other than that nice job.

5 Likes