Challenge #824 (05/04/19) Entries CLOSED

Theme #824 for Friday 5th of April 2019 is:

Ave, Caesar, morituri te salutant

Entry closes on Monday, 22:30 GMT (Mon, Apr 8, 2019 10:30 PM)

“There are two main goals for these contests: Fun and Glory.
Fun: You get only 4 days to create a cool image, based on the theme for the week.
Glory: After 2 days of voting, a winner is declared. The winner picks the theme for next week.”

Please remember to state if your entry is pure, open or non-competing.
For details please check out the: CHALLENGE RULES

Btw.: Comments are welcome in both threads (entries/voting). Have fun! :slight_smile:

1 Like

:slight_smile:

3 Likes

I wish I could get back into these, however after updating to Mojave, it turns out NVIDIA Drivers aren’t supported yet so I can’t use Blender until they decide to start working together. I’ve been working on my drawing and anatomy but I truly miss these weekend challenges and I can’t get wait to get back into Blender.

Interesting theme this week. It is quite a specific thing as well.

I have been doing some research to find something meaningful for this challenge. Maybe I will try to get something done.

What I found was that, Ave Imperator, morituri te salutant is a phrase that was used during a mock sea battle (AD 52) on Lake Fucinus. Captives and criminals were fighting on the lake that was about to be drained as a celebration. They are the ones who apparently said it.

1 Like

OK I think I get it now its about the gladiators of roam and the Colosseum saluting the dead or those who will die
And sea battle mock ups by flooding the Colosseum
I might be able to make something :grin:

1 Like

My initial thought was to make a Trireme, glad to see that it seems to thematically fits.

1 Like

Nice theme, I have a great idea! Lets see if I will be able to make it real :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the link.

I think I’ll stretch this one for all it’s worth.

2 Likes

I just finished watching Spartacus :open_mouth:

3 Likes

No problem, figured there would be others like me that seen the theme and went vanta black blank. So saved some others from possibly getting sucked into the black hole as I did.

1 Like

Don’t forget the voters. :smiley:

This is the hardest theme I’ve done I can’t light my scene right it’s horrible :see_no_evil::dizzy_face:
I’m trying to light a coliseum and there are only three was to light it and I can get the shadows I want because it’s got almost full on sun light on it :see_no_evil::sunglasses::no_mouth::hushed::pensive::relieved::confused::grimacing:.

Oh well I’ll enter what ever it looks like :grin:

1 Like

I’m learning to work in 2.8 it’s an absolute shit show. Two dyntopo sculpts, in pose, I don’t know if I will texture, I may just render clay.
#ignore

8 Likes

Is this the entries thread? duh…

yes it is. alot of times early on friday/sat people post their WIPs. But just include a title, and upload your image to enter.

You should have saw me when I first started using 2.8b I was trying to find all the tools and everything but the end result was good I ran into a few bugs along the way like multi weight painting on one object doesn’t work, you can’t use loop tool s when you have modifiers on and a few other things but I like it, still have to use 2.79 for the stuff i can’t do in 2.8 right now

1 Like

ok think I got the lighting problem figured out with the full on sun light just got done watching a tut by Andrew price on lighting might be able to get the detail I was looking for with the shadows :grinning: ill see what I can do and see if it works

Weren’t Triremes a Greek design? Or did the Romans copy them?

Alas, I too am on holidays so I won’t enter. Unless I get something done in about 2 hours on Monday evening when I get home. I already kind of have an idea that would work.

@joshwinkler3d You are right Nitram_2000 triremes are indeed a Greek design and they were also used earlier than the time of the Roman empire (I am Greek so I know some bits and pieces about them :innocent: ), but they seem to have been used by the Romans also (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trireme)