Challenge #838 (12/07/19) Entries CLOSED

Theme #838 for Friday 12th of July 2019 is:

Leonardo da Vinci’s Lost Inventions

Entry closes on Monday, 22:30 GMT (Mon, Jul 15, 2019 10:30 PM)

“There are two main goals for these contests: Fun and Glory.
Fun: You get only 4 days to create a cool image, based on the theme for the week.
Glory: After 2 days of voting, a winner is declared. The winner picks the theme for next week.”

Please remember to state if your entry is pure, open or non-competing.
For details please check out the: CHALLENGE RULES

Btw.: Comments are welcome in both threads (entries/voting). Have fun! :slight_smile:

If anyone is looking for inspiration.

http://www.da-vinci-inventions.com/davinci-inventions.aspx

2 Likes

Open Entry

Da Vinci’s long lost…

“submersible flier”

5 Likes

My first thought was “Did Da Vinci design robots?”. Turns out yes, yes he did a Robotic Knight! How cool is that? I mean, just the name would make for an awesome super-hero movie.

4 Likes

great resource @FlyingBanana would have loved to do a prototype crossbow sadly I don’t have much time for this challenge. Cant wait to see what y’all come up with.

1 Like

looks like da Vinci’s attempt to create a cooling solution for his CPU.

2 Likes

LOL I guess at that point it did look a bit that way. Added a bit more to it now though so it isn’t looking too much like a CPU cooler.

1 Like

To Ashes

Pure entry, 500 samples, an exercise in the use of the array modifier. The books copied by hand, by masochist me. Andrew Price can be partially credited for my success at creating those flames and smoke.

4 Likes

Well doing a pre render of my scene to see what it is going to look like.
I did a render a little while ago and liked how it turned out in the compositer so I saved the composite nodes for later use when I do my final render :+1:

2 Likes

Leonardo’s Greatest Lost Invention Design

Non-competing

Workbench, outline, post processing/composited with Paintshop Pro

Leonardo’s greatest invention design lost to antiquity and a drunken night. Imagined vehicle from a distant galaxy a long, long time ago. Included four mega harpoon crossbow guns.

9 Likes

So, that must be X-bows, I presume. :wink:

1 Like

Da Vinci’s secretly built astronomical telescope, he believes he can find aliens

17 Likes

The cogs and library setup remind me of the dukes archives in dark souls 1. Love how you handled the sheen.

Of course! I cleverly made that up because the name is super cool. :wink:

lol. X-bows. That would have been so much better name for the crossbows than my mega harpoon gun.

As an aside. Awesome entries from everyone as always.

1 Like

“For LEO (Low Earth Orbit)”

non-competing (open, recycled a few bugs), cycles (128 samples + denoising), blender 2.8 RC1

13 Likes

Little bug on it :slight_smile: Falling through the crack on the floor, almost forgotten.

1 Like

Using mirror projection from my phone to my tv. :grin:
Well my render was looking good then it went bad then it went to worst :grin: but it still looks ok I’ll try to finish it tonight I’m not going to worry about how it looks there’s always next WC.:+1:

Could add a little dust to the air since your scene involves small insects :+1:

1 Like

Here is my entry: “il ragno”
Since the ground textures are from texturehaven and HDRI from hdrihaven, ill leave it as open.
256 samples in E-cycles, over 5 minutes in a single 1080ti. Volumetrics, adaptive subdivision and color corrected in blender

Cheers!

12 Likes

Ornithopter, Reinvented

Open entry, using HDRI from HDRIhaven.com for the background. Blender 2.8 BRC (before RC), Cycles 256 samples + denoising, procedural textures.

Bonus - an earlier render but didn’t like the setting/angle :

9 Likes