Challenge #842 (09/08/19) Entries CLOSED

Theme #842 for Friday 9th of August 2019 is:

Fate of thought

Entry closes on Monday, 22:30 GMT (Mon, Aug 12, 2019 10:30 PM)

“There are two main goals for these contests: Fun and Glory.
Fun: You get only 4 days to create a cool image, based on the theme for the week.
Glory: After 2 days of voting, a winner is declared. The winner picks the theme for next week.”

Please remember to state if your entry is pure, open or non-competing.
For details please check out the: CHALLENGE RULES

Btw.: Comments are welcome in both threads (entries/voting). Have fun! :slight_smile:

Hmm… I like the abstractness of this prompt! I’m honestly not sure what it means to me, but I think I’ll try and enter.

1 Like

Its like what will happen if I take door number one if I don’t take door number two. :grin:

Like on iT Chapter one where they had the doors to choose from , " Scary, not so scary, VERY SCARY"

Translated in German it is “Schicksal des Denkens”, which appears to be related to the philosopher Heidegger and his criticism on modern technology.

2 Likes

It kind of reminds me of a story I read a long time ago.

A man with no arms is hanging on a cliff with his teeth clamped to a tree branch, a person walks to the edge of the cliff and asked if the guy needs help, how would he answer.
That’s fate of thought, because if he answers he will fall to his death if he doesn’t then he gets no help.

Or this one.

How do you survive the heat without cold and the cold without heat. :grin:

1 Like

Ah, the good old translate into German trick. It gives meaning to any meaningless sentence. :slight_smile:

Considering that he died in 1976, I think you meant ancient technology.

Awesome theme! Here my WIP already;

7 Likes

Sounds like the name of a ‘Magic the Gathering’ Card

That’s a good idea! You gonna try it?

I’m not entering this time, too much on. Looking forward to the entries!

Ideas Before Their Time - Icarus burns

Non-competing

Cycles, 3000 samples, filmic, cloth physics, hair particle system, MBLabs 1.7.5, HDRI lighting ($ Poliigon), b’rn fire shader, post processing Paintshop Pro, wings from my library

Just the words of “fate of thought” immediately brought the story of Icarus to my mind. The fate of reaching for a new idea before its time is usually failure.

Updated image: Used deform on wings and reduced color saturation. No color changes on the wings but the shadows catching the wings are way more dramatic.

Original render

5 Likes

I might be out of this WC, doing some prototyping for my uncle he wants a custom item to sell and reproduce.

:thinking:🤷

Connections

Pure entry, even if I did follow a tutorial for the face. 1000 samples, will try and take things further later today (yea let’s be real). Time to toss and turn and overthink things :wink:

7 Likes

you should have read the Privacy Policy

Open entry: brain model is from Thingiverse; laptop model is from Blendswap.

7 Likes

I decided to do a little sculpting had a hard day today. :expressionless::no_mouth:🤷

My custom base mesh and the sculpt.

It’s funny how I sculpt, I’m left handed when writing and I use my right hand for the mouse while I’m using the mouse I use my left hand to push all the buttons on the keyboard.

I alternate between the mouse and tablet with both hands :grin:

Here’s where i’m at now. May or may not expand on it.

“Abandoned”
Pure

4 Likes

2D to 3D

Open entry, using floor plan images from a past building project. Blender 2.8, Cycles 256 samples+denoising+compositing, color correction with GIMP.

Interpreted the theme with an idea that brought to real. Doing some simplifications here, some depicted parts may not be as what it will be constructed IRL btw, lol.

6 Likes

The Thinking Engine

Pure entry. Everything made in Blender, used only procedural textures (and a lot of noise).

With increasing access to trivial information and easier communication with any person in the world, the humans of the future concentrate almost all of their brain power in heated discussions about politics on the internet.

A group of scientists, in an attempt to save humankind, developed a machine which is capable of thought. Perhaps one day people will admire the work produced by the AI and will want to think again.

Technical question: Does anyone know how to handle scenes with a lot of indirect lighting? I rendered this one with 6K samples, and it is still very noisy. The thing is, the 6K samples version is not much better than the 500 samples one (despite taking 10 times longer to render), so I was wondering if there is some more efficient way of improving render quality.

7 Likes

I have an idea.
Pure Entry. Just two images used for textures.

“A thought, even a possibility, can shatter and transform us.”
― Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

11 Likes

“The Prisoner”

Non-competing. Model of Rodin’s “The Thinker” attributed to mission_3d, and available at thingaverse
For the record, I am no better, and stare at my %$&%$ing phone all day just like everyone else.

Image aspect ratio has been chosen to fit most phones.

I was inspired by a quote from Jorge Luis Borges, regarding simplicity and our senses.

“I cannot walk through the suburbs in the solitude of the night without thinking that the night pleases us because it suppresses idle details, just as our memory does.”

― Jorge Luis Borges

6 Likes

Pure Eeeve (with some touch ups of colors under photoshop)

(Try to reproduce an Escher drawing or how to make knots in the brain… :crazy_face:)

8 Likes