• sheerun
  • purbosky
  • jutu74
  • Anam_Shahid
  • Maelys031
  • fcharr
  • Le_Pirate

0 voters

After 2 days of voting, a winner is declared: The voting will close on: Wed, Sep 11, 2019 11:00 PM.
The winner picks the theme for next week.

If the winner doesn’t supply a theme before Thursday 22:30 GMT, the organizer will select the theme. In this case, the winner’s theme will be used the next time we are lacking a theme on Thursday 22:30 GMT. :slight_smile:

Having selected the theme, the winner will not be eligible to enter that week. They may however still submit an image, but it won’t be included in the voting.

This week’s winner:
ba-feature-20190914-wc

Pure Entries

Harris_Siompos: Nono the robot!

OLG: Akira Bike

sheerun: Armitage III

purbosky: Searching Shenlong

jutu74: f11

Anam_Shahid: My Neighbor Totoro

Maelys031: Jigglypuff concert

Open Entries

fcharr: Kung Fu Teens

(The model was taken from:
http://blender-weekends.franciscocharrua.com/Cute-Warrior-Challenge.Gnomish.html)

Le_Pirate: Can you taste the feels?

(Composited in AE, Can textures made in illustrator, Anime sky background got off google images(couldn’t verify author))

Non-competing Entries

Bassem: IMG_20190904_070417

Helge: Gone in 80s

GloriaTheAnimat: finished astro boy

1 Like

tough choices this week: I voted for @sheerun and @Le_Pirate, I hope I didn’t traumatize too many people with my bad art :wink:

2 Likes

It’s amazing that @Le_Pirate’s work is made in Blender, didn’t know it’s possible

2 Likes

It very much is, my submission is just a technical example, if you have the finesse to do stuff like digital painting to texture shadows and highlights you can get even better results.

Unless i’m mistaken a lot of 2d shows sometimes bring in 3d elements to lighten the load, like the ship sunny go from onepiece and some of the cars in the car chases in family guy.

1 Like

You might want to check out eevee’s shader to RGB node. It is really fun for cartoony effects.

1 Like

Did you do that in Cycles? And would you mind sharing your node setup? :wink: My toon shaders have never been anywhere near that quality…

1 Like

My votes this time go to purbosky’s “Searching Shenlong” (simple & evocative) and Harris_Siompos’ “Nono the robot!” (really like the bright cheerful look you’ve captured) – why are we down to 2 votes this time, instead of the usual 3?

Also enjoyed sheerun’s “Armitage III” (I’d say that using the pre-made human figure centerpiece makes this more open than pure, but I love how you’ve got the lighting and colors, very true to your source), jutu74’s “f11” (effective use of limited colors & light, nice), Anam_Shahid’s “My Neighbor Totoro” (awwww!), and Le_Pirate’s “Can you taste the feels?” (yep, cool shading, like the colors and composition).

2 Likes

In order to keep the votes a little more focused, the number of votes per voter depends on the number of competing entries. Currently, we have:

1 vote if number of entries <= 5
2 votes if number of entries >5 and <=10
3 votes if number of entries is above 10

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Apropos my entry here’s comparison between Blender 2.80 and blender 2.81 (exactly the same project). Note how nose in 2.81 is missing :slight_smile: I guess it’s because of more accurate shadows?

I can agree that my model is Open, but to be honest it’s extremely hard to model face by yourself. Can one use any external resources at all in Pure entry?

tbh. I think it’s not great categorization, a better one would be “Open Source” and “Closed Source”, where Open would be favored over Closed. Mine is Open and I think we should encourage to make our projects Open so we can learn from each other :slight_smile:

1 Like

The thing to think about when deciding if an entry is open or pure is, think of pure as just downloading and installing blender, then making your project. If the add-on is built in the official blender version that everyone has access to without having to download other add-ons “free or not” . I used to always use downloaded textures and considered that as well being an open entry till enough people said that they don’t think textures should be a open or pure judgement. But again it is just a fun contest and it is a really relaxed contest on rules and specifications.

1 Like

Pure means we did everything from scratch, Open means we didn’t, maybe we used previously made models, maybe most of the work was done in gimp.

Indeed, and I think that’s why the open category exists, so you can still submit an entry even if it were impossible to make everything by yourself during the weekend.

I think the goal of the Open/Pure categorization is to get new stuff every week and to prevent people from getting a really cool looking model from Blend Swap and pretend its theirs.

You don’t need to be ashamed of making an open entry, you just need to make it clear why its open.

1 Like

Yes it is cycles but I later realised this was a tedious choice but the project got locked into 2.79 cycles, want to try the approach with eevee but didn’t have enough time to experiment for this challenge.

I’d really like to share it but it is a result of RnD for the work project. Maybe when the project is done or if we choose not to go down that path.

I think when the time came it would be better if I made a tutorial because it is a result many factors not just the shader.

Sorry :cold_sweat:

1 Like

No worries :slight_smile: A tutorial would be cool too. I’ll look forward to whatever you can share :slight_smile:

1 Like

And… the winner of Weekend Challenge 846 with votes from 39.6% of the voters is… sheerun!
Here’s to all the great participators…

Armitage III

1 Like

Congrats on the awesome render @sheerun and the win.

2 Likes

@sheerun, congrats on the win.

And thanks to all the folks who threw a vote my way. :smiley:

3 Likes

that was a close one… 39.6 to 31.3. Congratulations to all of you motivated enough to enter! (@Le_Pirate, I was rooting for you. Good third :slight_smile: )

1 Like

Congrats to all participants and to our winner @sheerun!

Thank you! I dedicate my win to this issue I’ve opened on Blender which would make it easier to model different hair styles in similar way: https://developer.blender.org/T69738 In short you can currently model hair in blender with forces, but the length isn’t preserved. I hope they won’t close it :wink: