Challenge #849 (27/09/19) Entries CLOSED

Theme #849 for Friday 27th of September 2019 is:

opposite

Entry closes on Monday, 22:30 GMT (Mon, Sep 30, 2019 10:30 PM)

“There are two main goals for these contests: Fun and Glory.
Fun: You get only 4 days to create a cool image, based on the theme for the week.
Glory: After 2 days of voting, a winner is declared. The winner picks the theme for next week.”

Please remember to state if your entry is pure, open or non-competing.
For details please check out the: CHALLENGE RULES

Btw.: Comments are welcome in both threads (entries/voting). Have fun! :slight_smile:

I’ve had an idea for a while of Suzanne as theatrical tragedy/comedy masks – gonna give it a shot. (Not calling dibs – I’m sure there’s plenty of room.)

3 Likes

If I do the opposite of what the theme says, am I still following the theme? :thinking:

:drum:

6 Likes

This time I’d say yes!

1 Like

The Other Side

little update :slight_smile:

Pure entry, 1000 samples.

4 Likes

Theatrical Suzannes

Pure as-the-driven-snow entry (even the textures baked/painted in Blender 2.8 after the challenge announcement). Cycles render, 64 samples with AI denoising, 8x5 aspect ratio, composition is Harmonious Triangles. Thing I did for this that I’ve never done before: remodeling facial expressions. Can’t say expressions are my strong suite (autism spectrum), but I’d say happy-making Comedy Suzanne’s eyes came out reasonably well (Tragedy Suzanne was easier, I just deleted the faces around her smile, turned it upside down, adjusted the angle, and remade the faces around it).

TheaterMasksSuzanne010.blend (1.9 MB)

8 Likes

Opposites attract

Pure 1000 samples, cycles.

10 Likes

Slow day here at work so I was able to work on this quite a bit. @Anam_Shahid had a similar idea I see!
Sweet and Savory (pure)

12 Likes

pure entry, done in blender 2.81 was testing Optix with RTX 2060. and blender kit.
inspired by an old sketch of mine of the cactus and the heart balloon added the rest to them.

7 Likes

a bit unrelated but

anyone have any insight on this?

Fire and Water

Non-competing

Eevee, 128 samples, hdri lighting, filmic, animation, fire physics, particle systems, dynamic paint physics

Not quite the opposite but definitely on different camps. My idea was small meteorites hitting a small body of water. Small splash and equilibrium again.

This was an exercise in Eevee practice. I haven’t really played with it much.

3 Likes

"Opposite-Leaved Golden Saxifrage"

non competing (pure), cycles (512 samples + denoising), blender 2.81

14 Likes

This is Beautiful

1 Like

PURE entry “peacemaker”
Cycles, some texture painting, nothing special
Couldn’t understand how circular/along path array work in blender so i rotated every bolt [bolt factory] manually :frowning:
Anyway i hope it makes some opposite feelings

11 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4kzCBQg-qQ :wink:

2 Likes

Quick pure entry done in cycles and 300 samples water and fire sim done at 100.

“Yin and Yang”

8 Likes

pure - eevee render

4 Likes

Nice theme for a rainy day like today. Here a quick wip. Hope I’m able to finish it tomorrow!

7 Likes

you need both in your world :wink:
Pure entry, cycles 300 samples +denise.
Post process in blender compositor.

7 Likes

You can use this trick using object offset setting on the array mod and an empty object :

Been wiriting a simple tutorial of it long ago :
https://www.deviantart.com/purbosky/art/Polar-Radial-Array-in-Blender-Tutorial-642689576

Remember to set/apply the scale and rotation of the object, one key step that sometimes neglected. Hope this helps.

1 Like