• fcharr
  • SHADOWSTORM
  • Millani
  • Harris_Siompos
  • TheAwesomeYT
  • beau11
  • Midnightcpu

0 voters

After 2 days of voting, a winner is declared: The voting will close on: Wed, Nov 20, 2019 11:00 PM.
The winner picks the theme for next week.

If the winner doesn’t supply a theme before Thursday 22:30 GMT, the organizer will select the theme. In this case, the winner’s theme will be used the next time we are lacking a theme on Thursday 22:30 GMT. :slight_smile:

Having selected the theme, the winner will not be eligible to enter that week. They may however still submit an image, but it won’t be included in the voting.

This week’s winner:
ba-feature-20191125-wc

Pure Entries

jutu74: rosti3

Allen_m: Roots

TheAwesomeYT: Ecosystem

Watndit: roots2

david.speer: Crumbling Roots

fcharr: The Wall

SHADOWSTORM: The roots of all evil

Millani: Roots of Copper

Harris_Siompos: Am I?

Open Entries

beau11: Stay True to Your Roots

(grass essentials)

Midnightcpu: The dead don’t speak… Or do they?

(I’m going open since I used a very small portion of make human)

Non-competing Entries

OLG: Roots in Space

Helge: sqrt

purbosky: Nodes

putr_corps: Sofía

4 Likes

Great entries this week! My 3 votes went to @SHADOWSTORM, @Millani, and @david.speer, but high quality all around :smile:

3 Likes

Sorry, i meant Pure :sweat_smile:

@beau11 Love your render(I voted for it :smiley: ), can you try to re render it in 2.82? I can see the pixelated bump problem, and that it is already solved in the experimental builds :sweat_smile: that material looks fantastic!

1 Like

Changed! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks! better!

Why is no one voting for mine? its not that bad!

So … first there’s the ‘coincidence’ on this week’s topic, and now this :

shrooom

Two perfect ‘timings’ in a row…? :thinking:

4 Likes

@beau11 Thank you. I voted for your entry, love the atmosphere and that material looks really great!

1 Like

Thank you for the vote! I spent a lot of time on that material haha, I always get annoyed by the bumps so i’ll try a re-render in 2.82 whenever I get a chance. I’m glad they solved it so people can reach that higher level of detail.

@david.speer Thank you, your materials give off a borderlands type vibe that I really enjoyed…

EDIT: @putr_corps I meant to ask you how you modeled those buildings, were they from reference and you just modeled from scratch? They look amazing and I love the detail. I’m also curious about the birds because i’ve noticed them in previous renders before :smiley:

2 Likes

@beau11 For the buildings I just modeled a section from a cathedral reference, and created a couple more simple sections. Then with Array and “Curve modifier” I stack them on top of each other. For the roots I used trees created with sap tree, and glued to the building with shrinkwrap. The seagulll, is a single model in a void partycle system.
Thanks!

4 Likes

Nobody asked, but i feel like sharing something that surprised me here. while I was doing my first render, that was kinda about the evolution of weaponry or whatever ( don’t blame me, it was my first idea) I felt like I needed a gun of sorts. i have never modeled any kind of firearm before, so I decided to go full on Ian Hubert Lazy tutorial on that, and just try to model something simple out of an image 1 to 1, and then use the image for shading. it obviously ended up lacking some parts and shapes that I struggled to polish on time, but I’m actually surprised with the final result:

here is a render with just the slightly decent parts:

kinda looks like a book cover. Or that one slide the pastor would use on the presentation start to make the sermon look cool to the youngsters.

2 Likes

Borderlands is the best.

1 Like

Amazing images this week guys.

I guess my main project will be finished in January so hopefully I should have some time to join these challenges again. They certainly helped me to learn a lot earlier this year.

2 Likes

Haven’t seen you in a while @Nitram_2000 will look forward to seeing your WC work along with everyone else’s who enters. :grin:

1 Like

@putr_corps when you use tree sap you can go into edit mode to move the branches around with proportional editing without converting to mesh so you can make it look even more like roots. :grin::+1:

1 Like

Yeah, actual work has gotten the better of me for the last while. Not a bad complaint to be fair, but a break in the new year will be needed. The cool thing is though, I’m actually using Blender on a production, and I’m (very slowly!) converting my old Max buddy too. I’m hoping I can show some of the stuff that we do sometime next year.

1 Like

And… the winner of Weekend Challenge 856 with votes from 65.4% of the voters is… beau11!
Here’s to all the great participators…

Stay True to Your Roots

3 Likes

@beau11 Congrats on a well deserved win!

1 Like

Congrats on the win @beau11

1 Like