Challenge #862 "New Beginnings" (27/12/19) Entries CLOSED

Theme #862 for Friday 27th of December 2019 is:

New Beginnings

Entry closes on Monday, 22:30 GMT (Mon, Dec 30, 2019 10:30 PM)

“There are two main goals for these contests: Fun and Glory.
Fun: You get only 4 days to create a cool image, based on the theme for the week.
Glory: After 2 days of voting, a winner is declared. The winner picks the theme for next week.”

Please remember to state if your entry is pure, open or non-competing.
For details please check out the: CHALLENGE RULES

Btw.: Comments are welcome in both threads (entries/voting). Have fun! :slight_smile:

Wanted to make a theme for the new year :slight_smile: Good luck!

New Memories Being Made

Pure, Blender 2.82, Cycles

3 Likes

PURE - eevee render - blender 2.81.

4 Likes

Pure

8 Likes

Wasn’t there already a New Beginnings before? Or is it just that I named my project folder for it New Beginnings?

Just went back and looked it was worded different.

1 Like

You are right, this one has been there before. But, looking at the calender it seems quite fitting and as the last time has been ~1.5 years ago it might be worth another visit.

Btw.: Here is the #777 “A New Beginning” voting thread. :slight_smile:

(There doesn’t seem to be much left of #156 “Beginnings…) (Nice detail: @RobertT won that one.)

1 Like

Since the voting starts at the last day of the year, I think The End is Nigh would be a more fitting theme. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

The start of a forest

Thanks for the suggestions

3 Likes

I think the ground in the forefront could use some texture :grinning:

@FlyingBanana and @Millani you’re right about the theme, my bad. Didn’t know about challenge 777, and “The end is nigh” would’ve been an awesome theme.

No worries, and don’t take my comment(s) too seriously. It is nice to revisit a theme from time to time to see how much we improved.

1 Like

Yeah, no worries @beau11 I was just wondering for my own sanity. I’m now over the hill so it’s just a matter of time before electronics start eluding me.

The Big Year

Pure entry, 1000 samples. Added what I wanted to add, removed the trunk, as it was in the way.

5 Likes

Sounds like a great idea to me. Maybe a simple procedural bump texture (e.g. musgrave) would already be enough.

If you find the time, you could try to make the plant stand out a little more. Currently the light area behind it hides the plant because the shape is quite similar:

grafik

A light green plant in front of dark shadows would be a lot more visible. You could also try to add a little more contrast. :slight_smile:

1 Like

“Hoisted”

edit: changed title

new_beginnings33_sm

Non-competing. This started out as an oil painting I made, and I used its own colormap to displace it. Windsor Newton Oil / Cycles / PS.

5 Likes

Hello,
This is my PURE entry “ark”
Cycles 512s. Unfortunatelly I was forced to render clouds with 128s and add them in Gimp later due to render times. Otherwise they would look better like here: Hills - Blender 2.81 Cycles - #5 by 3dnotguru. The glow around the sun was added in Gimp too. Everything else is blendered.

BTW Anyone knows why volumetric atmosphere in huge box renders 100x times faster than little cloud?

9 Likes

have you tried using the smoke generator to create clouds?

Yes, I have tried many techniques. Smoke sim is harder to control to get prroper shape of clouds. And material is same so render times too.

1 Like

“Frankenstein’s Cookie Monster”

non competing (pure), cycles (128 samples + denoising)

7 Likes