Challenge #863 "Anachronism" (03/01/20) Entries CLOSED

Theme #863 for Friday 3rd of January 2020 is:

Anachronism

Entry closes on Monday, 22:30 GMT (Mon, Jan 6, 2020 10:30 PM)

“There are two main goals for these contests: Fun and Glory.
Fun: You get only 4 days to create a cool image, based on the theme for the week.
Glory: After 2 days of voting, a winner is declared. The winner picks the theme for next week.”

Please remember to state if your entry is pure, open or non-competing.
For details please check out the: CHALLENGE RULES

Btw.: Comments are welcome in both threads (entries/voting). Have fun! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I had to look it up. Here ya’ll go.

Definition of anachronism

1 : an error in chronology
especially : a chronological misplacing of persons, events, objects, or customs in regard to each other

//found several anachronisms in the movie

2 : a person or a thing that is chronologically out of place
especially : one from a former age that is incongruous in the present

//By the time I reached my teens, the housewife was an anachronism, replaced on television by the perky, glamorous, character of That Girl, Marlo Thomas, who kept her boyfriend at bay in the interest of pursuing her acting career.— Joyce Maynard

3 : the state or condition of being chronologically out of place

5 Likes

Posting a dictionary definition in a time when we can literally just write the word in the address bar to get its meaning is also an example of anachronism. :smiley:

Sorry, I just had to point out the irony.

6 Likes

One easy alternative for this theme is to pick a certain timeline for the scene, then put another thing in it that doesn’t belong to that timeline. A modern day object appearing in an old era is a good example to emphasize the impossibility of such existence and might also cue a time-travel. An ancient object that appears in present day can work too, but has the ambiguity with a thing that displayed in a museum (might need some more work to help with the out-of-place feel). Was about to use ‘time travel’ for theme but wanted a more fancy term, and more extensive meaning.

Anyway, I don’t mean to limit your creativity, just make whatever float your boat. The second definition in @MatthewK post can be a good idea too. Happy blending ! :partying_face:

1 Like

Tell me you don’t do the same!

Pure, Cycles, 2.82

1 Like

— UPDATE —

Gonna be busy with the lighting …

— WIP —

Will be using the same composition like a past contest entry (old planes vs futuristic airship).

3 Likes

Pure entry :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

5 Likes

You saw the witcher series, didnt you? :wink:

WIP, not entirely sure where i’m taking it yet

4 Likes

Pure - eevee render - 60 000 vertices - blender 2.81

2 Likes

Hello,
This is my PURE entry “MediSat”
Cycles 512s

8 Likes

Happy NY all!

Like the theme a lot, made something quick today. Used character from BS, dial+bg texture from google. So its open. Its called Contemplation Time Not super happy about it, but it will do for now. Maybe I’ll change or update it a bit later on this weekend.

cheers

5 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::+1::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

i DoNt GeT iT

The Electric Church

Pure entry. 1000 samples. It’s really just the entrance, but that only makes it more anachronic.

5 Likes

"#368 Engineering"

non competing (pure), cycles (256 samples + denoising)

8 Likes

" Bloody hell ! That ain’t no Zeppelin ! "

Non-competing. Cycles 256 samples + denoising + compositing, procedural textures, no volumetrics involved, effects and finishing with GIMP.

Featuring WWI era scene, when the German occasionally ‘visit’ the neighbors with their airships which concept created by Ferdinand von Zeppelin. This one, however, doesn’t appear to be the same kind with that hydrogen-filled dirigible…

Raw render :

Viewport :

8 Likes

Hi Blender Artists! This is a recreation of the spaceship from No Man’s Sky. This entry displays anachronism because it is based off a game that was released recently, but the game itself is based in the future.
This entry is Pure. Everything in the Scene was made in Blender.

4 Likes

Templar Knight

Open

Cycles, 5000 samples, filmic, Graswald ($), Reused M5E1 rifle, long sword, shield, buckle, everything else new.

10 Likes

iKnight
Pure. Cycles.

And just for the fun, this non competing version (workbench):

6 Likes