Challenge #865 "pastel" (17/01/20) Entries CLOSED

Theme #865 for Friday 17th of January 2020 is:

pastel

Entry closes on Monday, 22:30 GMT (Mon, Jan 20, 2020 10:30 PM)

“There are two main goals for these contests: Fun and Glory.
Fun: You get only 4 days to create a cool image, based on the theme for the week.
Glory: After 2 days of voting, a winner is declared. The winner picks the theme for next week.”

Please remember to state if your entry is pure, open or non-competing.
For details please check out the: CHALLENGE RULES

Btw.: Comments are welcome in both threads (entries/voting). Have fun! :slight_smile:

So it turns out pastel in Spanish means cake. So when I went to look up reference images I was quite surprised to see crayons.

3 Likes

It doesn’t mean crayons although I’m not surprised that’s what you found. When I think of pastel I think of colors with little saturation to them. Lighter colors. Maybe you should make a lightly colored cake? :smiley:

1 Like
1 Like

In Portuguese it means pastry.

1 Like

I’m back!
and also may have something to say about this…

4 Likes

:joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :wave: :wave: :wave: :+1:

1 Like

Pastel Forest

Non-competing

Cycles, 1000 samples, hdri lighting, sapling tree gen, used modified water color composite node group by Namito111 and mclelun.
https://www.deviantart.com/namito111/art/Blender-Watercolor-Effect-499610440

I’ve been wanting to play with this node group for a while and this seemed like the perfect time. I think it gives a really cool effect.

Original render:

9 Likes

Culinary Palette

Pure entry, 1000 samples. Going with the colors and the fact that pastel means pastry in Portuguese.

7 Likes

Knew your color style would thrive with this theme :smiley:

2 Likes

why thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Figured since it is coming up I would use the pastel candies that typically get shared during Valentines day.
Pure entry Cycles and Filmic going to call this one…

“Valentine”

8 Likes

Here is my entry:
“Pastel de feira”
pure - cycles - blender 2.81

Ah, the pastel… one of the top 3 most beloved street foods of Brazil, it consists of a deep fried pastry with hundreds of different fillings to choose from. The most common ones are meat, cheese, and palmito (palm heart), but you can fill it with pretty much whatever you like, as banana, chocolate and chicken are also very common. There is one thing you should never put on a pastel tho (or pizza, for that matter): pineapple. Because on doing so, you will be the center of an diplomatic incident worse than any of the world wars.
As brazillian tradition goes, the Pastel must be consumed with “caldo de cana” ( basically sugar cane juice), but as the number of shader nodes on my caldo de cana started to creep dangerously over 50, I resorted to switch the drink for a nice cold beer.
if you want to know more about this tradition, here is a video on it:

it’s mostly on english, for your convenience :smile:

6 Likes

I don’t think I’m dong it this week.

Hello everyone!
So this is my final render for this week end challenge. I had a lot of fun doing it! (I made my friends laugh a lot!)
Pure cycles 200 samples

Banana Split Pastel Panic

EDIT : last post below
A pastel banana split panic is in the challenge :slight_smile:

This is my first WIP. I’m pretty happy with the result of the ice cream but I’m not able to figure out how to do a procedural banana material… (in cycles). For the moment, it’s only vertex paint. If anyone has an idea I’m open to proposition!

Edit : (I used image textures finally)

18 Likes

http://blender-weekends.franciscocharrua.com/Still-Life.Eggs-and-Bananas.html
here’s my attempted banana. looks they’re screaming. I scream joke?

here’s how I did mine.

2 Likes

Fantastic work! I’m sure you’ll figure something out, I love using procedurals for everything! There’s like infinite ways you can put them together thanks to the fact that you can alter their mapping coordinates with other procedurals!

Tulip Field
Pure, competing

Blender 2.81 Cycles, 256 samples.

A simple entry from me.
The tulips unexpectedly turned out looking pretty good. I was unsure at first, but the whole scene of many pastel colours just makes it so nice.

Entirely procedural, no textures used.

9 Likes

I thought they were having a sugar rush by the look of there eyes. :joy:

1 Like

Reminds me of the mountain theme we did a while back ago lol

1 Like