Challenge #870 "Atmospheric" (21/02/20) Entries CLOSED

Theme #870 for Friday 21th of February 2020 is:

Atmospheric

Entry closes on Monday, 22:30 GMT (Mon, Feb 24, 2020 10:30 PM)

“There are two main goals for these contests: Fun and Glory.
Fun: You get only 4 days to create a cool image, based on the theme for the week.
Glory: After 2 days of voting, a winner is declared. The winner picks the theme for next week.”

Please remember to state if your entry is pure, open or non-competing.
For details please check out the: CHALLENGE RULES

Btw.: Comments are welcome in both threads (entries/voting). Have fun! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Now this is the kind of open-ended theme that we can all shoe-horn whatever we want into that I like to see! :joy:

Looking forward to seeing what you all come up with!

3 Likes

MURKY HELL

I’ll try and get more done soon :smiley:

Just a quick update (ahem, took 1hr on my old card!!! I never used to need a good graphics card! Scouted something, new card coming soon, then I’ll have a real play)

Good to see you all, have fun!

3 Likes

You’re right… Didn’t see any of that in the atmosphere

THAT has been a hell of a break:
grafik
Welcome back! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I never really left, but only celebrated my 2.8 birthday yesterday…

Moved into 3d printing and cnc routers so simply not been rendering.

So many keyboard shortcuts have changed, I’m all over the place.

Hope you all well and I have missed the Weekend Challenge dearly :smiley:

3 Likes

Volumetrics in Cycles is sooo awesome. Okay they really are awesome but…

First cloud setup at high definition was going to be a 21+ hours. Reduced the definition and went down to 13+hours. Reduced again and now down to about 8 hours. I am at the 6 hour point of rendering so hopefully done soon.

@rarebit, what do you normally carve on your cnc?

1 Like

Violence

Pure

Cycles, 3000 samples, smoke physics, default ivy generator, filmic, vignette and name added with Paintshop Pro

Simple setup of 4 smoke flows in one domain and then strategic point lights plus a very long render time. Volume step size finally set to .03 and resolution definition set to 200 and high resolution to 2. Cloud material set to blue and lightning to red. All purple color is from their interaction.

8 Likes

Clouds

Pure entry, 1000 samples. Turned out OK, had to ignore a little speckle on one of the clouds after messing with the lighting. Despeckling almost got rid of it, but also ruined most of the image, so I left it alone.

So proud of my cloud :slight_smile: Thanks to one of @Iridesium’s YouTube tutorials.

I’ll be doing clouds this week!

Hi @rarebit, welcome back :slight_smile:

7 Likes

@rarebit
Didn’t realize it was that long since you been on. :sweat_smile:
Been a while.

@OLG
I was think something a little more intense for the the eyes to see in my render when I start on it tonight. :eyes:
I’ll be working on two projects tonight have to finish one of them.

I’m going to come at it from a different angle. :speak_no_evil::v::face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

Eye candy! Can’t wait to see the awesome render. :smiley:

Ooohhh :speak_no_evil: you cought on to my riddle didn’t you. :sweat_smile::face_with_hand_over_mouth:

You can use color corrections, and filters in the compositer to get some variations of your render.

As far as the eye can see. :see_no_evil::grin:

I have an extremely ambitious idea… Pretty sure I’ll not make it on tome, but we gotta try, right?

2 Likes

PURE “rain”
I was forced to not use volumetric due to extremely long render times so it is not as accurate I intended.
Cycles 128s

15 Likes

quick update:

2 Likes

You can put a square over the field and can use prinapaled volume bsdf and put it in the volume connection it works faster than the older blenders I just used it this morning and I was like. :scream_cat::drooling_face::dizzy_face:
Then you can go in the compositer to do fog if you need to make ajustments.
You can put a color gradient texture into a colorramp then connect the colorramp the the principled volume shader then connect it to a mix shader with layer weight facing connected to the factor and another volume connected to the bottom then run into the volume input.
You will have to put a rotation on the gradient incase you need to rotate it. :v::+1:

1 Like

Thanks. It seems to be easier than that i have used :wink:

You should see my pre render scene it looks awesome. :v:
have a little to much going on in the compositer will have to make a few adjustments to it. :grin:

I thought it was real for a second and i realized I modeled it. :sweat_smile::face_with_hand_over_mouth:

made in cycles as a displacement map. :slight_smile:
render : 30 minutes
sample 500
pure

here a fix all problem with first one

18 Likes