Challenge #871 "Caustics" (28/02/20) Entries CLOSED

Theme #871 for Friday 28th of February 2020 is:

Caustics

Entry closes on Monday, 22:30 GMT (Mon, Mar 2, 2020 10:30 PM)

“There are two main goals for these contests: Fun and Glory.
Fun: You get only 4 days to create a cool image, based on the theme for the week.
Glory: After 2 days of voting, a winner is declared. The winner picks the theme for next week.”

Please remember to state if your entry is pure, open or non-competing.
For details please check out the: CHALLENGE RULES

Btw.: Comments are welcome in both threads (entries/voting). Have fun! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Haha :smile: Lux Render joined the room…

9 Likes

This sounds challenging

A theme like this really puts the challenge in “Weekend Challenge”.

And also the end in “Weekend”…

1 Like

Toss in some volumetrics and everyone can have their own little campfire as their computers/laptops melt. :wink:

3 Likes

I’d love to see Slartibartfast redo his last entry and put in some caustics, I love a bit of Phillip K Dick fan art, inspired many of my old artworks

BTW Blade Runner is originally known as “Do Androids Dream of Electric SHeep”, a book by aforementioned author

1 Like

I think my computer is already melting with joy just looking at the word. :eyes::grimacing:

Think I have an idea for this one but don’t know if I can pull it off I just remembered something I watched a while back ago regarding holograms. :grin::v:

Ok I don’t like this challenge very much…
I have created a test scene and it says after about 2 mins of rendering that it has 1:29 minutes left!!!:grimacing:
And its very difficult to create caustics.

I did not mean for this to be a reply to Midnightcpu :grin:

Lol, that’s ok, :grin: caustics are chemicals,
Or light passing through a glass, water and some other stuff.
What I was think is when a ship is traveling over water and the air becomes so dense that it reflects the ship and water making it look like there is a ghost ship above the main ship. :grin::v::+1::eyes::exploding_head::scream_cat::drooling_face::dizzy_face::face_with_hand_over_mouth::speak_no_evil::thinking::hear_no_evil::see_no_evil::no_mouth:

“Petals”

LuxCoreRender, pure

9 Likes

Not an entry

I have been trying a bunch of different node groups to try to get some good fake caustics out of cycles but it still eludes me. I might have to learn the basics of another render engine.

Luxcore or Appleseed? Haven’t used either one.

Some of my test renders at 10000 samples.

4 Likes

Might check out one of Gleb Alexandrov’s 2.8 tutorials on an advanced Glass Shader.
If the time stamp don’t start from the link skip to 24:22

5 Likes

dislike of emoji intensifies

1 Like

I love the glass one.

1 Like

Such a challenging theme. Fired up good ol’ 2.78c to do some caustic rendering within the YafaRay render engine. Its absurd how quicky the old 2.7x interface gets you lost all the time. Luckely scenes can be copies from 2.8x tot 2.7x so I could do a lot in 2.8. Used 3 renderlayers for this and a lot of composing + post proces in PS. Still not happy. Caustics are such a pain in the #$@%.

Lets call it WIP for now…

6 Likes

That’s a terrific resource, thanks for sharing. I won’t be participating this week as I’m really trying to make some headway on my pet project, but I am paying attention to the contest. I’m glad this was the subject this week; the stuff I’ve learned is helping me to plan ahead for some things I’ll need to achieve moving forward. I’ll be rendering this thing in Eevee, so I won’t be using any caustics in the animation, but I’ll likely set up a cycles shader palette for my promo and beauty renders and this is great stuff to help with that.

1 Like

Just a test:

I decided to challenge myself with an underwater scene. Accurate Cycles caustics are way too noisy and slow to render, so I decided that for this challenge, I will go with fake water caustics.
I messed around a little with some nodes and this is what I came up with, which to my surprise, works quite well for such a simple node setup.
The basic idea is that I am using a spot light to project procedural noise (musgrave textures) onto the ground.

Current node group if anyone is interested in making fake caustics:

9 Likes

nice :slight_smile: , looks like one of my entries :wink:

1 Like