Challenge #873 (13/03/20) Entries CLOSED

Theme #873 for Friday 13th of March 2020 is:

funny kitties

Please note: Based on the below discussion, the original theme was changed to “funny kitties” after a few hours. However, entries based on original theme will still be accepted. If you go with this one, please consider the quote’s context.

Entry closes on Monday, 22:30 GMT (Mon, Mar 16, 2020 10:30 PM)

“There are two main goals for these contests: Fun and Glory.
Fun: You get only 4 days to create a cool image, based on the theme for the week.
Glory: After 2 days of voting, a winner is declared. The winner picks the theme for next week.”

Please remember to state if your entry is pure, open or non-competing.
For details please check out the: CHALLENGE RULES

Btw.: Comments are welcome in both threads (entries/voting). Have fun! :slight_smile:

Quite the wordy topic :sweat_smile: Also, seems like the website has given up on displaying images.

I’d like to make an objection to this topic. The context of that quote was that the Smallpox be used as a weapon to wipe out the Native American Indians. It is a hateful concept. Please pick another one.

5 Likes

Maybe “funny kitties” would be the cure for concerned hearts? :wink:

1 Like

I agree with Deltaray

And, done. :wink:

1 Like

CENSORED…

I wasn’t keen on the topic but it is history, and being English, may I say I’m ashamed and would like to render my apologies for such things. It’s been “interesting” reading for sure…

However, I do prefer the new topic

(P.S. The animated gif is from Pinterest!, Not mine!)

Anyway i think bad ideas can be shown as evil with use of 3d software and shouldn’t be avoided. There is Vietnam war helicopter in gallery and it remind me a photos of napalm burns on kids which I watched in historical movies.Does it mean bad things shouldn’t be shown at all?
And … I will try to make a cat too.

3 Likes

grumble grumble, rename folder… rename file…

1 Like

CATS!

They are cruel.

This has already been a stressful day and I didn’t have much time until now. So, this matter had to be sorted out the fast way. :wink:

If you ask me: no, it doesn’t. Bad things are a very visible part of reality and as such should be a very visible part of art, media, discussions,… as well. How else could we learn from past mistakes and try to make things better in the future?

However (IMHO), in cases like this, context matters a lot. Without context this quote isn’t evil at all. Personally, I didn’t know it and I guess I’m not the only one. So, instead of discussing historical and ethical implications, many entries would probably have walked into a trap and interpreted the theme literally.

I wish you had provided some additional information along with the theme. That way, I could have incorporated that in the entry post right from the start and avoided all this confusion.

Moving on. How the hell did we switch from genocide to kitties in just a few hours? Well, this must be the internet. Maybe the theme should have been 4chan… :wink:

Speaking of context: Happy Friday 13th everyone!

7 Likes

Guys. Never understood that…taking a guilt trip on something you didn’t do nor would ever do.

If you go back far enough in history you will find some atrocity committed by someone (race or culture). Period.

1 Like

I started with the original theme, and now I see it’s changed. I won’t start again.

Sorry about that. You can still submit an entry based on the original theme. I just updated the entry post accordingly.

If that refers to my comment, an apology always helps those hurt and still hurting. It’s so easy for the past to repeat itself or even come back to haunt you, go read Machiavelli (The Prince) for a full debate. We’re all stuck on this silly planet and we need to move forward in peace

My avatar is from a cat character that I modeled last year. I was already thinking about making some other characters to animate with, so this seems like a good excuse to get started with that.

Extremely early WIP:

4 Likes

Thanks @3dnotguru and @Helge and everybody else for making the change so quickly and sorting it out without creating a conflict. I’m happy this had a positive outcome. I was a bit worried that this could have created an argument. I think Helge said it pretty well. I’ll just add that when it’s one person coming up with a hateful topic, that’s their choice and people can interpret what they do and maybe that’s just one bad example in the community, but it’s not the whole community. But when you have a contest theme that is encouraging a bunch of people to interpret a hateful quote, then it is pulling the community innocently and naively into being associated with the hateful message and I fear could make the community look bad if the wrong people came in and saw the whole ordeal. There really is no need for that to happen in this forum because I think the Blender community is a very positive, friendly, and creative bunch of people and wanted to keep it that way.

2 Likes

Apologies without action are empty meaningless words.

Also, the apology should be to the Ottowa Indians and neighboring tribes. The Lakota, Seminole, Pueblo, Tigua, Mescalero, Navajo and all the other nations have their own different stories. Lumping one action that occurred to one nation to everyone else is ignorant. Its like saying, sorry “Entire continent”.

For context, I am partly descended from the Zacatecas tribe. Through its history they fought against and also for the Spanish. The history is complicated. That is true for each of the indian nations. Many of the nations fought along side the Spanish and the British. There is no monolithic Native America tribe.

I am also offended we are getting into thought police territory.

@deltaray, why is this hateful? This is a specific action that occurred in history. Its a historical fact. You are attributing your own emotional bias to it. As artists why can’t we look at this?

@rarebit, I have read Machiavelli many decades ago. The comments above are not specifically directed to you but thank you letting me vent. I have many friends from many different tribes, all with different histories but with their own rich traditions and cultures. None of the Brits I met, worked with, and enjoyed a pint with ever hurt a single Native American.

2 Likes

Great theme! Came up with this (for now.) :slight_smile:

Meezers

5 Likes

I agree that it was the right call to change the theme.
The rushed nature of the weekend challenge is not the place for the complexity of handling the subject in a respectable way.

1 Like