Challenge #883 "Alchemy" (22/05/20) Entries CLOSED

Was pretty disappointed noticing I missed the “Ancient ones” so I had to make it up for myself :stuck_out_tongue:

“Alchemist” (how original!)

Pure, Cycles

(I always assumed that using a few freely available textures and still tweaking them should not be a problem for “pure” classification - as discussed here above)

6 Likes

“Mercury Lab”
Pure, Cycles

This idea stems from some of the history of alchemy (thanks mostly to SciShow (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7g-WOMXe6Mo)). There were old reports that electricity run through mercury could create gold. Using this and some old battery history (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxlJQ2ZLMIs) I came up with this scene!

3 Likes

I went and rendered out my scene with more samples to get rid of the rough volumetrics. It took 1 hour to render and looks so much better. That was the only thing I changed and I updated my original post now.

Not sure what everyone else thinks about it - whether it is considered submitted now or earlier. You can compare the images there if you want. I don’t mind what happens, really.

“Alchemy of love”
Open entry

2 Likes

Fortunately, this is one of the things the rules DO cover:

“[…] the submission time is taken as the last edited time of the submission message, or the message creation time if it hasn’t been edited.”

But you are right, in the end, it doesn’t matter all that much, anyways. :slight_smile:

Blackbird ECO :four_leaf_clover:

Pure, Cycles
Based on Honda CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
That theme was a struggle :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

"Morning Glimmer"

18 Likes

Reminder to U.S. participants, it’s Monday! I keep thinking it’s Sunday, because today is a holiday.

1 Like

Here’s my finished version of “Elixir Of Life”

Pure, Cycles.

Texturing is hard :rofl:

I think next week I’ll try to make something with fewer components so I can spend more time focusing on texturing.

3 Likes

During these home-office times, every day feels like Saturday to me. Which would be fine, except that everyone has to work on Saturdays now…

3 Likes

My Entry

• “The OG’s Of Moonshine”
    Open: Used the MTress add-on for the trees and MakeHuman for the people, also the ground and moon where a few downloaded textures which i merge and mixed together.
    Rendered at 4k with Cycles and 384 samples along with using the AI denoiser.

Ended up turning into more of a Wiccan scene ( with beakers ! ) rather then a Alchemy, but who’s counting :wink:
The bubbles laying in the moonshine where an array of balls dropped to a collision plan, the floating bubbles are a particle simulation along with both fires. The sky, clouds and stars are procedural and used the World properties to add a scattered volume to create the mist (at .015). Did a little playing around in the composition tab, ran the mist into a mixer to control it a little more and used a color-correction node for the main scene.

Heres a shot of the wip i posted above:

5 Likes

“Life Juice”

Pure, Cycles

2 Likes

Alchemist’s Table

Non-competing (pure).

I decided to revisit one of my very first renders, dated 2015:

I tried to keep more or less the same story while remaking all the models and the environment.

9 Likes

Crafty coin

paper Mario color splash coin, Pure cycles. :smiley:

2 Likes

@OLG, @TheRandomGames, @SidewaysUpJoe: Thank you all for your encouraging remarks about my entry!

@Photox: Awesome render!

@Helge: Great fun as always!

@unyxium: Beautifully done. I would not be surprised if that won!

@Ledger9o9: Very nice idea and presentation! The isometric style really suits your image.

Everyone else: Nice to see so many variations on this theme. Well done!

4 Likes

Human Recipe

Cycles, Pure

4 Likes

“Alchemy” Pure… with little help of my daughter Anastazja

2 Likes

“Alchemist’s Table” Pure Cycles
I was working on this up until the last second and this was the first render I did. I see so many mistakes already, but I was rushing to get this submitted on time. I’m a noobie and still learning, but the more I do, the more I learn! :wink:
I’m saving for a new computer…right now I’m using an old HP all in one computer which is not upgradable as far as video cards go…
Does anyone have any recommendations on the best (medium priced) computer for rendering?
I’ve read a lot about what I believe I need, but would love suggestions from this community.
Thanks! Stephanie :slight_smile:

7 Likes

You might want to check out https://opendata.blender.org/. They have a lot of benchmarks of different CPUs and GPUs using Blender. You can even easily download the benchmark and run on your machine to give you an idea of how big of a difference an upgrade would make.

With the speed at which computer graphics and Blender evolve, I think even the pros are learning all the time. I’m looking forward to see your entries in the next weeks! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for the info, this is great!