Challenge #883 "Alchemy" (22/05/20) Entries CLOSED

Theme #883 for Friday 22th of May 2020 is:

Alchemy

Entry closes on Monday, 22:30 GMT (Mon, May 25, 2020 10:30 PM)

“There are two main goals for these contests: Fun and Glory.
Fun: You get only 4 days to create a cool image, based on the theme for the week.
Glory: After 2 days of voting, a winner is declared. The winner picks the theme for next week.”

Please remember to state if your entry is pure, open or non-competing.
For details please check out the: CHALLENGE RULES

Btw.: Comments are welcome in both threads (entries/voting). Have fun! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Interesting topic!

I’m portraying The Philosopher’s Stone (about that)

Here’s a WIP image:

Mostly working on lighting and texturing now.

RobertT

9 Likes

using this as an excuse to model an alchemy set (magic + chemistry) :stuck_out_tongue: No other idea’s atm…
This is my place holder post…

5 Likes

“Complex Chemistry” Pure, Cycles, 200 samples (and a denoiser)

6 Likes

Hello everyone,

This is my entry for this week.

Pure, Cycle, 2000 samples, OptiX denoising + Small contrast correction on photoshop.
All procedural.

“Fire gemstone”

I first thought of working on a philosopher stone and slowly moved to a magical stone in its natural inhabitat :slightly_smiling_face:

10 Likes

Here is my entry:

THE PHILOSOPHER’S STONE

Pure Blender 2.82a, Cycles render, only procedural textures.

More about The Philosopher’s Stone…

RobertT

15 Likes

Robert, I always love your artwork but this is now one of my favorites. Beautiful piece.

Oscar

I’m not sure I will enter this week, but you get my vote sir! :slight_smile:

Mixing Vial

Pure entry, 1000 samples. I experimented with the smoke simulator, very non intuitive stubborn little thing.

5 Likes

“Here’s looking at you, kid.”

non competing (pure), cycles (128 samples + denoising)

13 Likes

“Magic Hands”
Pure Entry. Prozedural textures + handpainted.

8 Likes

Some really nice work posted so far…

You sure that’s not a bong :wink:
Looks good, like how all the flaring and joints blend.

_

Thats awsume

You really have a knack for artwork

Like that camera angle

3 Likes

Magic Brew

Pure (I think) Cycles 512 with denoise node @ 1920x1080
I used images from texture haven for 2 of the textures instead of doing everything procedural, the bricks and the wood shelf. Plus HDRI from HDRIHaven for outside so this might be open.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t consider it open as even though you are using textures (which aren’t even something that the challenge rules specify properly), they are free for anyone to use.

It’s up to you, though. If you think you did enough work to make it your own and majority of the subject is made by you, pure sounds like it is fine for it.

2 Likes

yeah I’m just used to doing everything using noise nodes and color ramps, I did have to uv unwrap things to make the textures work though so it wasn’t a complete short cut.

A friend on Facebook told me my vial looked like a bong too.

Alchemist’s Lab
Pure, competing

Edit: I have updated the image with a higher sample render. Nothing else was changed. The original will be at the bottom of this post. The only real difference between the two are the better quality volumetrics.
Blender 2.82 Cycles + compositor
800 samples (denoised)
2048 samples (denoised)

I really enjoyed this challenge. Because of this, I put a huge amount of time and effort into it. Lots of details were made and arranged multiple times to get it right.
It’s a theme I never would have thought of or done normally with Blender, but I am glad I did as it is a bit of a difference.
The volumetrics were a bit noisy. Maybe I will update it with a better version later, but consider this done. It still looks fine with a bit of rough denoising there. The denoiser did a great job for everything else, though.

Original image:

14 Likes

I don’t know if you know this or not, but you can make a horizontal rule with three dashes rather than two, like this:

compared to:

use three dashes in a line like this: 
---
2 Likes

Thanks for the tip, didn’t know that.

“like a fish in its anemone” (Pure eevee)

7 Likes