Challenge #884 "Butterfly" (29/05/20) Entries CLOSED

Theme #884 for Friday 29th of May 2020 is:

Butterfly

Entry closes on Monday, 22:30 GMT (Mon, Jun 1, 2020 10:30 PM)

“There are two main goals for these contests: Fun and Glory.
Fun: You get only 4 days to create a cool image, based on the theme for the week.
Glory: After 2 days of voting, a winner is declared. The winner picks the theme for next week.”

Please remember to state if your entry is pure, open or non-competing.
For details please check out the: CHALLENGE RULES

Btw.: Comments are welcome in both threads (entries/voting). Have fun! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Cool. :slight_smile:
For some reason I can see someone submitting a winged bar of butter… right?

2 Likes

The first thing I think of is butterfly effect. Not sure what I can do with that, though.

The wikipedia disambiguation page is helpful to find an idea. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butterfly_(disambiguation)

1 Like

You played too much of animal crossing :grin:

Someone else’s work which i thought of after seen the theme… (Not a submission, just insperation).

1 Like

open
butterfly pinup
sorry the rules are a bit unclear with the pure or open thanks for notifying me

25 Likes

Nice cartoony shape.

1 Like

Sun Catcher

Non-competing

Cycles, 2000 samples, hdri

Maybe a little busy this weekend so made a quick scene just in case. Dichotomy of war and peace, represented by a warhorse statuette and military badge adjacent to a a delicate butterfly sun catcher.

11 Likes

Beautiful!

One thing, though: I noticed that character was posted on Instagram back in July 2019.

I think if you were to create a background scene, place the model in there, you could then enter it as an “Open” entry, indicating it made use of a pre-existing model (the character).

RobertT

4 Likes

Turns out my original idea isn’t so original after all.

There is a type of rollercoaster track that is called a butterfly. It kind of forms the shape of butterfly wings as it loops twice.

Here is my progress:

not an entry

8 Likes

Nice catch, @RobertT. I only wish it were possible to remove likes from a post now.

And it is even marked as pure! Some people have no shame…

1 Like

Great theme!

Made something really quick. Hope u like it.

Two Butterflies

wire/clay

19 Likes

Side Note, I don’t remember seeing anything in in the rules but are greasepencil entries allowed?

1 Like

reminds me of the Euthanasia Rollercoaster

Of course! Just go for it, have fun! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Not An Entry

And here is my take on anything with more than 4 legs. Yes including butterflies

7 Likes

“Emperor Butterfly”
Pure
Eevee

This was a fun topic :sunny: :slight_smile: .

7 Likes

I noticed that you updated your entry to say it’s Open, however I am still seeing the same image, which was originally published on this forum back in July 2019.

Of course, @Helge can correct me if I’m wrong, but I think if you were to model a new background and combine it with this image, you should then be able to enter it as Open.

Other than that, on its own, I am not sure it qualifies for as a de facto WC entry (i.e. something made during this specific Weekend Challenge time frame).

What really helps is that your background color is uniform and easily isolated (e.g. instantly selectable in GIMP’s “magic wand” / Fuzzy Select Tool, and therefore removable if you have an alpha layer).

Then the isolated render of the fairy would be easy to combine with a newly modeled background element.

I certainly hope that makes sense. Just trying to help!

RobertT

4 Likes

A Butterfly Flaps It’s Wings
Open (Model from Mixamo)

8 Likes