• NP5
  • catblue44
  • Karmon
  • watercycles
  • beau11
  • Vampy_monkey
  • SidewaysUpJoe

0 voters

After 2 days of voting, a winner is declared: The voting will close on: Wed, Jun 3, 2020 11:00 PM.
The winner picks the theme for next week.

If the winner doesn’t supply a theme before Thursday 22:30 GMT, the organizer will select the theme. In this case, the winner’s theme will be used the next time we are lacking a theme on Thursday 22:30 GMT. :slight_smile:

Having selected the theme, the winner will not be eligible to enter that week. They may however still submit an image, but it won’t be included in the voting.

This week’s winner:
ba-feature-20200605-wc

Pure Entries

RayVelcoro: Great theme!

Canadian: Emperor Butterfly

fcharr: On Wings of Blue

GIPeN: Butter Fly

david.speer: Butterfly Valley

MatLZA: Paper Butterflies

LG_787: Rest

3D_maggies: motyl

unyxium: Butterfly Rollercoaster Track

Bleepy: Butterfly

Bekreth: Trick or Treat

Levito: Butterfly (Origami)

_jb4x: The savior

Ledger9o9: Butterfly drone

MPsaur: nom-nom

OrganicAdapter: Night Butterfly

regisf: Butterfly Mask

Millani: Butterfly Portrait

Watndit: Butterfly Knife

NP5: Butter’Fly’

catblue44: Lavala

Karmon: BUTTERFLY

watercycles: Crystal Butterfly

Open Entries

beau11: A Butterfly Flaps It’s Wings

(Open (Model from Mixamo))

Vampy_monkey: Butterflies?

(Open because reused some old assets to get this done with limited time.)

SidewaysUpJoe:

(Textures for the caterpillar and pupa where downloaded images (which i also used as a reference to model them).)

Non-competing Entries

GloriaTheAnimat: butterfly pinup

OLG: Sun Catcher

Helge: Chrysalis

purbosky: Aeolian_purbosky

RobertT: FLY, MY BUTTERFLY, FLY

Wow… Again, so many good entries.
I had to go with “traditional” and then “abstract” which lead me to @_jb4x, @GIPeN and @beau11. Wish we had four votes so i could have voted for @unyxium also.

5 Likes

Easily the highest quality for a long time. So many amazing entries.

4 Likes

It might be odd, but these weekend challenges are my favourite place on the internet right now… This week’s entries are great.

5 Likes

Same for me. I genuinely struggle to produce any works during the weekdays. I’d really like to see a week long/month long challenge category as well. Give more time for some more detailed pieces.

1 Like

And… the winner of Weekend Challenge 884 with votes from 34.4% of the voters is… MatLZA!
Here’s to all the great participators…

Paper Butterflies

1 Like

@MatLZA, congrats on the win. Nifty render. Love the colors. :wink:

1 Like

Thank you very much, here is a fast motion of the process if anyone wanna see it.

Super fast because it is a 4 hours video into 1 minute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VhTlP66F8s&feature=youtu.be

Can’t wait for the next challenge to arrive this weekend!

1 Like

And here we go:

:slight_smile:

I was wondering how you managed to make that brick wall procedurally.

I didn’t think textures were allowed for pure entries?

Don’t worry to much about that. :slight_smile: Textures aren’t mentioned in the rules specifically, Usually, I don’t consider textures an important factor regarding the pure/open classification. However, doing noting but mapping a photo onto a plane and calling it a pure entry probably wouldn’t feel right/fair.

As a rule of thumb: If you would feel bad if you won and called it pure, then you should probably switch to open. :slight_smile:

Apart from that: It is always a good idea to add a little description, stating how the entry was created. This helps to judge the entry and in addition we’ll all be able to learn a new thing or two.

I think that the fact that the rules arent completely clear are the fact why these Challenges are so amazing, that way we have different interpretation from every participant and we learn about the rules and the objective of the contest weekly.

In my personal opinion and being myself a final year Architecture student with a somehow vast contest experience, thats one of the most important things about the rules.

Going to your question specifically I’ll quote the Rules.

"An image created for these contests will fall into one of two classes: Pure and Open . A Pure image is made mostly using Blender, and mostly using new models. If an image isn’t Pure , then it’s Open .

If you can honestly say to yourself, “Yes, I mainly used Blender to make this”, then the entry is Pure .

Where a scene has a recognisable distinction between foreground and background, a Pure entry requires almost all of the foreground models to be new. If you can honestly say to yourself, “Yes, nearly all of the foreground models are new”, then the entry is Pure - it doesn’t matter how much of the background is new or recycled.

Where a scene has no foreground/background distinction, a Pure entry requires mostly new models. If you can honestly say to yourself, “Yes, most of the models are new”, then the entry is Pure ."

My entry was built by three models that I modelled right through the last weekend and the main objective of my image was to portrait the Paper Butterflies. Other than doing the models I had to do the unwrapping, compositing, created a couple materials, and clearly the brick wall being the background wasnt the main element of the composition. I think that if the theme of the Weekend was “Bricks” “Tesellation” or some other term related to the brick wall directly that would go against the rules.

Now discussing this I think that for future entries I will write down my very process in the post so there is no doubt about the origin of the result.

Thank you very much for helping me since I’ve just joined the Challenges, (I’ve been a reader of this site since 2016 but never created an account or participated in the community cause I didnt feel like I had the knowledge to do so).

PD: My favourite entry so far was the RayVelcoro entry back on July 2018. #786

Have a good day,

Matías

That was quite the composition.

I suppose in a fun and glory competition loose rules allowing for interpretation are better than more restrictive rules.

As to the foreground background consideration the wall is well lit and in focus in contrast to most of the butterflies so it’s where my focus was drawn.

I will concede that it’s behind everything else and admit that my knowledge of basic artistic techniques of framing etc. are rudimentary at best.

I find it really amazing how some people can be productive 4 hours straight in Blender. If I were to record a timelapse of the making of my images, it would probably feature several seconds (even when sped up) of me just looking at the viewport wondering “now how am I going to model that?”…

2 Likes

Congratz for the winner!
Wow this time I failed hard and I was quite happy with how my entry turned out.
But well, the next round is comming :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you very much, I actually liked a lot your entry I loved the background circle, I think you did it with a Sphere? Love that effect. Good luck with this weekend challenge, I’m so excited about it.

I really understand what you mean, I think actually was a really really reaaaaally fast motion, since I actually spent a lot of time watching the screen just thinking the way to do it. Its the first time Ive done something like this so most of that video was a new challenge for me, There are 14400 seconds into 60 Seconds!

1 Like

wow. im just a beginner so i didn’t compete. How do people make such good creations. I think all look wonderful.

“Like everything else, Fletcher. Practice.”

If you just want to use the Weekend Challenge prompt as inspiration to practice on, that works too! We were all noobs once (some of us stay noobs for years, I’m still far more noob than not), and beginner’s work is welcome here. Have fun, that’s the most important bit!

There are plenty of learning resources out there, most free – look around and try what seems best for you.

1 Like

Yes its a Sphere and a white Plane behind it.
So i was able to make the lighting with an hdri without copositing a white backround in later.