Challenge #885 "Alternatives" (05/06/20) Entries CLOSED

I wanted to mention this before, but just didn’t get to it:

People from this community are living all over the world and most of us don’t know each other in person. Screen pixels and floating currents probably aren’t the broadest channel of communication. But of course, there is a real person behind every one of those avatars. And everyone is dealing with personal emotions, thoughts, joys, hopes, problems and fears every day. Some of these may be dividing in nature but others help joining the community together. Lately, the world has taken a few tremendously painful hits from various directions. And in a way, some of these hits highlighted issues that were there before but covered in some kind of diffuse haze. It is like someone pulled up the contrast within the worlds compositor window.

That being said, I’m really happy that this place is still as friendly and supportive as it has always been. And that is because of its incredible inhabitants. Thank you all for that!

A forum may not be the broadest channel of communication - but maybe art is. Thanks for listening. :slight_smile:

21 Likes

Hmmm…What to wear?

Non-competing

Cycles, 4000 samples, hdri, some of my old models

Another busy weekend so just a fun entry. Modeled guns go back from 5 or 6 years ago to two months ago (AK-47 newest model). It was fun seeing how my modeling has progressed in that time frame.

4 Likes
3 Likes

Alternative Energy
Pure, competing

It’s a tokamak. It is potentially a way to create fusion power, however, like all the fusion reactors being built at this current time, none have achieved efficiency high enough to overcome the energy required to operate it. This technology is not viable… yet.

Blender 2.82 Cycles + compositor
Render time: 23:22 at 1024 samples

Edit: I am having trouble uploading images on this site for some reason. A jpeg is going to have to do this time.

14 Likes

The Way Out

Pure entry, 1000 samples.

9 Likes

“The President’s Desk”
Pure

These are the first non-trivial objects I’ve modelled from scratch, and the first I’ve UV unwrapped and sculpted. A couple of things I’m not happy with - two symmetrical imperfections on the front of the control panel, and the ambient occlusion seems overboard on the drink cup.

Rendered in Eevee. The background image is a cheat, it’s a real photo of the Oval Office. Apologies to any Trump fans.

EDIT: added a knife and fork at my friend’s suggestion.

9 Likes

What a night! I had a a few ideas - but actually, somehow nothing worked out. Almost all experiments failed, the volumes acted strangely, the noise was screaming / denoising didn’t help and preview and render window didn’t match. I think the whole “in the zone”-thing just didn’t work tonight. In the end, I changed my plan, started over and went with a fast and simple one. Maybe some sleep will help. Good night. :slight_smile:

"Scatterbrained Thimblerigger"

non competing (pure), cycles (512 samples + denoising)

8 Likes

I love it! I heavily considered doing an “alternative facts” entry…

1 Like

good night springton, there will be no encores :wink:

Continuing the discussion from Challenge #885 "Alternatives" (05/06/20) Entries OPEN:

Non competing. Just doing some pics to brighten my room up.
Came up with this. Old models. Lifeboat is printable.

War and Peace

Bogey.

7 Likes

Wanna trash the stage? :wink:

1 Like

Pure, Cycles.
“We need an alternative”

10 Likes

no more Alternatives
Pure entry, cycles 256 samples with denoise node. 1920x1080

The way everything is, I wish there was an option to live somewhere else… So I wanted to make a futuristic space themed image but where things still aren’t going to plan.

6 Likes

This is offensive, I don’t think this is the place for that kind of entry

1 Like

Good choice, he probably would eat a burger with knife and fork :laughing:

Very good work!

Hahaha now that is great!

1 Like

There was a story about him eating KFC with a knife and fork, which naturally drew ridicule :laughing:

1 Like

Haha I didn’t know that so just checked not-so-trusty Google and found it so I like spreading videos like that. Well-played I never would have been so quick thinking to create that lol

1 Like

“Weapon of Choice”
Pure, Cycles

I loved the theme this week! My entry is based on some of my favourite video game weapons that are often overlooked compared to swords and guns. Here’s to all the Bards, Beastmasters, Geomancers and Gamblers!

I’m quite happy with how this turned out. I wanted to spend more time texturing the harp and the background, but I don’t think I’ll have enough time before the deadline. I feel like my work is finally starting to get a bit closer to how I picture the scene in my head :slight_smile:

7 Likes