Challenge #886 "In the Shadows" (12/06/20) Entries CLOSED

“it’s only a huntsman”

Pure cycles, 1000 samples @ 1920 x 1080

Now I have a mostly finished rigged spider, still could use some added details :slight_smile:

8 Likes

A Dim Light of Hope

Pure entry. Everything made in Blender, only procedural textures. The character was traced from a photo.

18 Likes

Mars Landing
Pure entry, everything is modelled by myself. Textures are from https://cc0textures.com/
and https://www.textures.com/ the backround is a random night sky photo from google search.
I used the cloth brush extensively on this. Great to make some sci fi padded walls.

11 Likes

The tracing technique is one I always use in these challenges for lack of time! It’s very helpful to add in a quick figure :smiley:

1 Like

Very clever… Seen simulare with a youtube “magic” guy.

That looks great, dig it alot.

1 Like

“Ocean Shade”

Pure - 1024 samples.
Thought shade at the beach when i read the weekend challenge title.

Side note - First render from the new machine. Nice to be on hardware from this decade!

4 Likes

“Under the Bleachers”
Pure

9 Likes

“He Waits”
Pure

14 Likes

I’d rather stay in the shadows
Pure. Cycles.

7 Likes

Hello all,

This is my entry for this week:

“The dream eater”
Pure - Cycles 6000 samples + denoiser

All models are new and all the textures are procedural. The only image used is for the number on the puzzle piece.

Some color and contrast correction where added post poroduction. The result was also too smooth after the denoiser so I had to add some noise in post prod :sweat_smile: :rofl:

I found working on a scene like this beeing quite frustrating because I spent a lot of time getting the model and texture as I wanted but since the end result have to be quite dark, there are plenty of details that are getting lost. I think that it is something I need to work on, adapting the detail work to the final scene…

13 Likes

Death sandwich

Pure, Cycles

That’s the first time I’ve used adaptive sampling(trap base/floor) and I love the effect.
I have tried denoising with OptiX Denoiser but it messed up the background too much. Final image was made with 8k samples. Textures from cgbookcase.com

@Kanga3020 thx for that theme!
@FlyingBanana great tip :smiley:

3 Likes

“… under the bed” (pure eevee)

4 Likes

Luxcore Render 2.3
Game of shadows

9 Likes

Eclipse
Pure, competing

Blender 2.83 Cycles + compositor
256 samples

9 Likes

That reminded me of this song, for some reason

1 Like

Jupiter in the shadows
Jupiter model from sketchfab ( CC0 cultural heritage model)
Rendered in Eevee.

5 Likes

Here is my entry:

GNOMON: THE SHADOW OF TIME

Pure Blender 2.82a, Cycles.

RobertT

9 Likes

@T1chy what tip? However I did use the method of a negative value point light to get the dark shadow without it getting washed out from the other light sources. Just found out about that method just before the theme came out, kind of ironic lol

1 Like

Hah :sweat_smile: I meant tip posted by @SHADOWSTORM , but somehow my brain mixed you up :upside_down_face: maybe because you used that technic. Cool is that you present the use of it, before he post it :grin:

1 Like

pure entry
Skulls!!

as simple as possible 3 skulls with a volumetric lighting with some denoising
cycles render

6 Likes